Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Which breed is best for...?

Lee BowesLee Bowes Member Posts: 2
edited 30 September, 2010 in Choosing the Right Cat
My wife and I are ready to adopt a kitty, but we have questions on which breed would be best for our lifestyle. We currently live in a small two-level townhome, and are at work 6am-5pm. We have no other pets. We don't travel for work, but do have the occaisional weekend trip (family friends in the area can pet-sit if needed). However, in 1-2 years, will plan on moving into a single-family home, add a few kids, and possibly a dog to the mix. From what I'm reading, it's a tough choice between what would be best now (low activity or attention) versus what would be best later (high activity and attention). But are there some that would be fine with either? I was thinking of the Norwegian Forest Cat, LaPerm, Chartreux, Ragdoll, or Somali... but am sure there are many others to consider. Thanks so much! -Lee-

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 27 September, 2010
    Hi Lee! :-h Welcome to Catster, we hope, when you find that special kitty, you and your wife will join our little Catster family, and, if ya follow pro football, I run the football pool, its just for fun, lol, but you and your wife are welcome to join us. :D First, you need to decide weather you want a kitten or an adult cat. You also need to decide, how much time you want to put into the maintenance and care of the kitten or cat. Kittens take longer to become used to the new household. They are very active, mine run thru the house like crazy boys at warp speed. They will knock things down, break things, and get into everything, you basicly, have to kitten proof your home, its kinda like having a young child. You also have to work with them, teach them and train them, and be very very very patient with them. An adult cat, what you see, is what you will get. The LH (long haired) cats, Norweigans and Ragdolls, are higher maintenance, they have to be combed every few days, mine are combed every day, and you have to keep them matt free, or your looking at taking them to a groomer. Norweigans are rare and expensive, ballpark $1500, and you can plan on filling out a 12 page questionare, and the breeder is not going to let them go, until they are 12 weeks, and, you pick out a kitten, from a picture. Ragdolls are very dog like, they like to be where you are, follow you around, and will fetch. SH (short haired) cats are less work, but they still have to be brushed, and they actually, beleive it or not, shed more, than a LH cat, especially in the spring, when they shed out their winter coat, and in the fall, when they grow their winter coat. I have no knowledge of the other breeds you mentioned. Here is a link to the CFA breeds and some other links to help you. Breeders also have what is called Pet Quality cats and kittens. These are kittens the breeder has determined are not show quality, weather it be because of their confirmation or they feel the kitten would not take to showng. They also have pet quality adult cats, these are cats that have completed their Championship and/or are retired, or just did not cut it in the show ring, but they want them to have a good home, as they need to make room, for new kittens. Pet Quality kittens/cats are much less expensive than the show quality kittens/cats. *If* you opt for a show quality kitten, even tho you are not going to show, the breeder will require you to have the kitten spayed/neutered. Whole kittens are only sold, to other breeders or show people, that, they know, they know what they are doing. You pay for the kitten, you take the kitten home, when you show proof of spay/neuter, they send you the papers. Hope this helps, and please feel free to ask more questions, the others will also have some good suggestions for you. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D http://www.cfa.org/breeds.html http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+2137 http://www.peteducation.com/index.cfm?c=1
  • Lee BowesLee Bowes Member Posts: 2
    edited 27 September, 2010
    Thanks Bumpurr! We're actually interested in adopting from a rescue/pound - which I know greatly increases the chances of mixes that don't subscribe to a particular demeanor...so maybe my question is moot? We would go for an adult though, so that will help in knowing what behavior we're getting. Hopefully we will be on here soon. And yes, a pro-football fan. I am a Ravens fan, so you may still hate us from the last meeting we had in your old stadium. -Lee-
    edited 28 September, 2010
    You asked about breed cats, so thought you meant you wanted a cat from a breeder, lol. :D Adopting a shelter cat is an excellent idea. The nice people who work there, will do their best, to match you with the cat, that fits what your looking for, and you get the opprotunity, to play with the kitty first, to see if thats the one you want. And, you have the option, to bring the kitty back, if for whatever reason, you decide the kitty is not working out for you. Just be aware, it takes a good 14 days, ballpark, for a kitty to become used to his/her new home, so you have to be very patient with them. Actually, stories I have heard over time, from friends who have adopted a shelter kitty, the kitty, picked them out, lol. Mine are show cats, I got them from a breeder, and altho I did pick Cowboy out, had him reserved before he was even born, Bump and Cruiser picked me. Nope, Baltimore is safe, from the Cowboys wrath, lol. Dallas is after Minnesota and Farve. Beating Dallas is one thing, running up the score, when there is no time left, and your up by a zillion points, will get you some serious payback. So very glad, Farve came back this year. Dallas is a waitin on week 6. :D When you get a chance, check out the What I Love About Catster section, our football stuff is in there. We have good natured trash talking and have alot of fun. You and your wife, are welcome to join us, and if you want to start playing now, you can, will just log you as Guest, for now, until you find that special kitty. Kitty's are in Divisions, you have to qualify for the playoffs, Division winners and 2 Wild Cards will advance. The Dallas Cowboys 2010 Winner of The Battle of Texas
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 30 September, 2010
    Most cats don't have breeds--less than 5% of cats in the U.S. are purebred, they say. Cats are not dogs--most of them are just generic kitties. Sometimes, you'll find a cat who shows signs of having a specific breed mixed in (Siamese is a common example). Choosing a breed cat because you like the "look" is one thing, but depending on breed personality descriptions (even those on the CFA website) is iffy at best. I am a small-scale Maine Coon breeder, and all my cats and the MCs I've met at cat shows have different personalities. Yes, Abyssinians tend to be a bit skittish, Siamese like to talk, and Persians are fluffy and laid-back, but those are generalizations, and there are always exceptions. Even though I am in the cat show world, if I wanted a cat as a companion, I'd look for an adult, and probably get a pound cat. It's really true that the cat tends to choose the owner--Spike, my only moggy, chose me at a shelter. In any event, it's safer to get a cat whose personality is already what you're looking for. Cat rescue people and breeders can usually give you an idea of what a certain cat's personality is. Personalities can change, of course, but if you want a friendly cat, don't pick the shy one in the corner because you feel sorry for it. Its personality may never change. Of course, there are always exceptions, like Harvey, my first Maine Coon. He was aloof for the first year or so, but blossomed into an affectionate cat. Last word of advice--don't pick the first cat you see unless you're absolutely sure that it's just the cat for you. Don't be afraid to shop around. Good luck!
    edited 30 September, 2010
    Harvey!!! :-h Where ya been dude?? Miss talking to you, and reading your very informative posts, ya all left me hangin out here by myself, show wise, mol. Glad to see your back. =D> :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D