Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Should i get a bengal?

dani girldani girl EdmontonMember Posts: 5
edited 27 November, 2010 in Choosing the Right Cat
Hi guys! So we found this adorable Bengal kitty for sale. We decided to do our research and we found alot of the qualities we were looking for in this breed. They're known to be very dog like which appealed to us. We searched around some more, and found out some cons to this breed. From what the sites say, this breed is a terror and is only for experience cat owners. This dampened the mood a little bit. Id really like to hear from some Bengal owners. Are these cats actually that bad? Or could my family ( who has never owned a cat before) handle one? Thanks so much Dani

Comments

• janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 26 November, 2010
    The cat won't be a 'terror' if you spend ample time with him, which equals maybe a quarter as much time per day as adequately training a dog to not be a problem, plus, you can sit on a chair and watch tv while you exercise the kitty with wand or fishing pole toys, throwing a ball, etc. Don't let it play with hands and feet. These cats can't be all that horrible as a breed if they continue to be so popular. I suspect the "problem" cats are mostly ones that have had owners who don't have any idea how to train cats, dogs, kids,or much else at some point. Of course you can get a 'nut' in any dog or cat breed, or mix for that matter. I always wonder what people mean by "doglike" when referring to cats, as if there's something wrong with being a cat. Most cats that have been properly treated and kept inside want to be near their people all the time, most like to play/interact with humans, and many don't mind a harness and leash if it's started early and gently. I can't count the times people get their first indoor only, fixed kitty and tell me they had never known how fun cats actually are. There's a big difference in companion cat and one that has been tolerated but not really part of the family.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 26 November, 2010
    I too wonder about people who want a "dog-like" cat. Why not get a dog? You might end up resenting the cat because it is too much like a cat and not enough like a dog. Bengals are very popular right now, and so they're pretty easy to find (as opposed to some more obscure breeds). When you buy a purebred cat, though, you really should do research on what to look for in the breed, and, more important, what to look for in a breeder. I do not recommend buying from a pet shop. Breeders range from the extremely consciencious to total scammers--and I'm a breeder myself, so I know. Price is not always an indication of a breeder's quality, nor is how well-known their cattery is. Since cats live a long time, and buying a purebred should give you the right to confer with your breeder any time you have a question or a problem, getting a cat from a good breeder is important. It's true that Bengals seem to have unique personalities. Be forewarned, however, that you can't rely entirely on descriptions of breed personalities. I have 14 Maine Coons under my roof, and only a few of them have what would be called a "typical" MC personality. You seem set on this kitten, and I won't try to talk you out of it. Just consider two things: all kittens are cute; and cats don't really show their true personalities until they're between 6 months and 2 years in age (in my experience). On the other hand, it's probably true in most cases that a friendly kitten will become a friendly cat. Don't choose a shy kitten because you feel sorry for it! Another idea is to adopt an adult. There are breed specific rescues, and breeders often sell adult cats who have finished their breeding or show careers. These cats are priced lower than kittens, and you get to see exactly what the cat's personality is like. Ideally, you should get all the information you can about the Bengal breed and about how to choose a breeder, then visit several breeders before making your choice. I say "ideally" because it usually doesn't work out that way, and I myself didn't do this when I adopted my first Maine Coon. If I had to do it over, I certainly would have adopted Harvey anyway, but I wish now that I had bought some of my later cats from a different breeder. Anyway, have fun trying to find a furkid!
  • Jane JohnstonJane Johnston NMMember Posts: 2,957
    edited 27 November, 2010
    I have heard Savannahs are "dog-like". Now I htink this means things like: might retrieve, likes to ride in the car (she doesn't), walks on a leash, is sociable, etc.) Though almost all my cats have been sociable. I don't think that Savannahs are dog-like, but I think that to some people a social cat is "dog-like". I think a social cat is normal cat behavior. As to your question, well Bengals are a handful. But more because the need/require more time and attention than an average cat. I've heard the same re: Savannahs. I don't think she is more destructive or anythign than the average cat. --des