Do you talk to Fluffy using baby talk? Does Fluffy like it?

Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
edited 7 December, 2010 in Behavior & Training
This is a semi-serious question. I think that many of us talk to our cats in high-pitched voices the way we might if talking to a baby. We might even use baby talk. Does anyone know if cats actually prefer these high-pitched voices? (I'm sure they have no particular preference regarding the baby talk.) Am I the only one who talks to my cat that way? Is it a displaced maternal instinct? It's said that women tend to hold their babies with their left arm; some say this is so the baby can hear the mother's heart beat, and some say it's because most women are right handed. Lo and behold, when I hold my cats in my arms like a baby, it's against the left side. Maybe the high-pitched voice thing is similar. Any opinions?

Comments

• janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 4 December, 2010
    I have actually heard that 'studies show" cats prefer higher pitched voices, as long as they are soft tones. I do know all the cats i've ever had sure respond to it.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 4 December, 2010
    Do men do it, too?
  • Allison GrunwaldAllison Grunwald Member Posts: 55
    edited 5 December, 2010
    I heard that cat's respond better to higher pitches too, which is my excuse for why my kitteh loves me more than her daddy ;) Also, I coddle her wayyyy too much, including some baby talk when no one's listening.... :)
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 5 December, 2010
    Kinda :)) I definitely have a special tone I use with Isabelle, I think its more that than the actual words I'm saying. She can tell by my tone whether she's getting praised or reprimanded. My husband does a little baby talk on occasion, but it doesn't seem to make her like him any better! :))!
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 6 December, 2010
    I don't use baby talk with Hunter. I do use a slight higher pitch though. I think if I were to use baby talk, He might look at me like I'm crazy! :)) Hunter and I have conversations every morning. :) Now that you mention it, everytime I hold Hunter he is on my right side. I'm right handed. He is always on my right shoulder, or I'm holding him like a baby with his head on my right side. Its more comfortable for me I guess. :D
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 6 December, 2010
    OMC that is so funny... believe it or not, my husband does this more than me, (hes a little out of control on the baby talk high pitched) when I hear him from the other room I just listen and smile. Everyone in my family does it, but I have to say my hubby is hilarious- *picture this big burly guy talking high pitched to the cats* He even likes to play kitty games with them . :)) For someone who was against me getting two cats at the same time, he really enjoys them.
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 6 December, 2010
    I do a little bit of both, but I do agree that they seem to respond to a higher pitched voice. My bridge baby Felix actually liked it when you sang to him! :D So we had a little selection of songs that we made up all about Felix! And he LOVED it. Purrs, Coop's Mom
  • edited 6 December, 2010
    Only when I talk to them in a higher pitch will I use baby talk. :D
  • Pat WeaverPat Weaver Member Posts: 423
    edited 6 December, 2010
    I\'m embarrassed :r to say, that I sometimes use baby talk on my kittens and they seem to love it. They always run over to me when I start, and Ozzie will curl up on my shoulders while Pepper sits on my lap. I didn\'t use baby talk with my (now adult) son nor would I allow others to. Maybe baby talking to the kittens is some kind of repressed Mommy issue ... Maybe the reason I baby talk to the kittens is I have pent up :))!
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 7 December, 2010
    oh for sure! Teen loves it. When i come home from work/school and see Tiny, i say "baby teen!" in a high pitch baby talk voice. She responds with a loud "mmmmmrrrmmmm!!!!" every time. Ive seem mothers chirp softly and high pitch to kittens, as well as other cats who are buddys (like this video, my personal fav) http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=z3U0udLH974&feature=&p=388944C932D2031B&index=0&playnext=1 I think those high pitch sounds we make probibly sound like soft talking like mother to kitten, and cats like it.