New Diet: bad behavior HELP!

Alisha HumphriesAlisha Humphries WestminsterMember Posts: 74
edited 19 December, 2010 in Behavior & Training
I have made a few posts about Snickers in the past, but his behavior is just getting worse! We recently switched his diet to match the advice given on catinfo.org. When I met my boyfriend (he was my boyfriend's cat), Snickers was free-fed and now weighs about thirty pounds. I told my boyfriend we needed to fix his diet, and we started him off on a better dry food (Wellness CORE), and weighed out his food each day. After several months of getting used to that, we are now integrating wet food into his diet. And we have again lowered his daily calorie intake. He is now eating about 1/3 of a 5.5 oz can of wet food (not a good brand for now because he is still a little picky) along with 1/3 cup of Wellness CORE dry food, for a total of about 250 calories/day (he may eat more than this though, we have to separate the kitties during mealtimes now because he eats the other cat's share). He was having a few minor problems before due to a minor UTI (using our bed as a litterbox mainly). But he is doing a lot better thanks to some measures we took. Now he has taken to bad behavior I think to get us to feed him more. Spraying him with a water bottle and making loud noises when we catch him in the act has only taught him to not get caught. So now he does everything when we are sleeping. We wake up each morning to find all of the cabinets opened (I guess I need to child-proof), broken dishes on the floor, scratches on our computer monitor, this morning I woke up to find he had somehow jumped on top of our huge bookshelf and knocked everything over. If we are around, he has resorted to biting. I don't know how to punish him for any of this, and our patience with him is wearing thin. Please help!

Comments

• AbbyCatAbbyCat Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited 15 December, 2010
    Congrats on trying to get Snickers on a better diet. I am sorry you are having the behavioral problems though. That is tough... I am not one of the more expert cats on Catster, but I do know that \'punishment\' does not really work with us cats. We just become scared of the humans punishing us and sometimes we act out more. You might try using Feliway--a plug in that has a calming effect on cats. It only covers a small space so you may need more than one plug in. You also might try playing with Snickers at night right before you go to bad. That might tire him out a bit so he is less...uh...lively at night. (Maybe feeding him a little closer to bedtime as well?) It does sound as if you had better child proof cabinets. I must say I have never figured out how to open cabinets myself--Snickers must be very bright!
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 16 December, 2010
    Remember, he probably feels a heck of a lot better since losing weight and is making up for lost time. Meowma did have to put child locks on the cabinets for Ringo. I suspect he's having a 2nd kittenhood and you will have to work with him. Meowma doesn't like punishing kitties either, exactly--she prefers booby trapping so even whe there is no person around or watching, bad jumping up kitties land in cookie sheets full of water or among a bunch of "stuff' like a stack of bags on the fridge that falls when the kitty jumps up (a row of emply drink cansis supposed to ge good for this too) This makes the kitty think there asre bad things on the counter/stove/fridge, better stay down, instead of "make sure no one is looking then do it anyway". And never, ever, ever, leave even a little food out unattended for even a few minutes, because if being bad works one time out of ten, it will take forever to change his habits.
  • lauren crowtherlauren crowther CummingMember Posts: 201
    edited 19 December, 2010
    I agree with both prior posts. Have you taken him to the vet since you've started changing food intake? I haven't been to the website you listed do I'm not sure what all it has told you.. if you decrease their foods too fast they can come down with a whole slew of health problems. It's possible that he may be trying to tell you he is uncomfortable!