dogsitting with a very animal reactive cat

Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
edited 24 December, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Hi kits, I hope you all are having a very happy holiday so far. :) Here's the thing. A friend asked me to dogsit for him next week while his family is away for 5 days. As you probably know, I am a crazy dog lady, so I was very happy to be asked to dogsit. This dog is a 2 year old Siberian husky named Hurley. I have never met him before, but I heard he is very friendly with people. :) The problem is, Jellybean hates other animals with a passion. She does not like competition whatsoever. Everything in the house revolves around her. Last time we had a foster cat, she went into a deep state of depression and started pining away. Therefore, my mom isn't saying yes to Hurley's owners right away, because she doesn't wanna put Jellybean in that position again. However, dogsitting is something I know I'll enjoy very much, and having a dog around all the time will make me very happy, and my mom knows that. After all, he's only staying for 5 days. I'm sure Jellybean will live. I guess what my mom's afraid of is that Hurley will get more attention than Jellybean, so what I'm trying to ask is, if your cat was as animal reactive as mine, would you still dogsit? Just so you know, Hurley is probably gonna get more attention, because dogs are more needy than cats, and huskies need to be exercised all the time. Oh, and another thing, Hurley has not been around cats before, so IDK how he'll do around Jellybean. I heard huskies have a prey drive, so that's another thing my mom's worried about. Any advice is appreciated. thanks and happy holidays

Comments

• Kristi BarfieldKristi Barfield CharlotteMember Posts: 75
    edited 23 December, 2010
    A two year old husky that has never been around cats all of a sudden in the same house with a cat that hates other animals? That doesn\'t sound like a good situation to me. Normally when a new animal is brought into the home, people separate them for a period of days - or sometimes weeks - to allow them time to acclimate so there are no fights or issues. Of course, this is done if the animal will be staying. Keep in mind that huskies can be - and usually are - very hard-headed, and if he decided to go after kitty it could be ugly! Keep in mind also that cats have been known to die from depression, because they will stop eating and can also get sick from the stress. So, if it were me, I would have to say \'No\' for the safety of my cat. Even if I really wanted to see the cute, fuzzy husky for a few days! If you do decide to dog-sit PLEASE keep them separated by doors, that way you know they are both safe. And don\'t neglect to give Jellybean plenty of attention, too!
  • lauren crowtherlauren crowther CummingMember Posts: 201
    edited 24 December, 2010
    If you have an up and down stairs that could solve the problem- keep kitty up and pup downstairs. You could also begin desensitizing them to eachothers smells. Take a small blanket or similar from the cat and put under the dogs bowl and vice versa. Hopefully by time the dog visits they would be acquainted by smell already. I wouldn't suggest introducing them to eachother. If you don't have an up and down stairs I might pass on the opportunity for kitties best interest.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 24 December, 2010
    Could you dog sit at Hurley's house? Do you think the owner could give you a key instead of putting both animals in danger? I did that last year for two weeks. I didn't have Hunter at the time, but I did have my other cat, Hanna. There was no way I was going to put her at risk of being eaten by a German Shepard. Plus I think the German Shepard would of taken my Yorkie and whipped her around like a puppet! Just a suggestion. :)
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 24 December, 2010
    Yes I do have an upstairs and a downstairs, and Jellybean does have her own room, but my mom's worried that I'll forget to close the door sometimes and Hurley might run in or Jellybean might run out. I'm actually leaving in a few minutes to go meet Hurley and see how it'll work out. Another friend of mine with a husky has offered to take him too, so he'll be fine wherever he goes. The only reason I was asked is that the owners and I have known each other since we were kids, and they know how much of a dog nut I am and that Hurley will be spoilled wrotten when he's with me. XD Jellybean is my mom's cat. I just live in the same house, and I'm the one that's crazy for dogs, so unfortunately I'm forced to put Jellybean's needs first. :( Hopefully after meeting him, my mom will see how happy the dog makes me and she'll realize it's nice having a dog around, and she'll say yes. :3
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 24 December, 2010
    OK... I've met Hurley and I'm back with an update. The dog is sooo cute and he's the friendliest dog I've ever met. I spent the afternoon out in the snow playing with him. However, my mom said no because he's extremely hyperactive, and she's concerned about Jellybean's safety. Yes she knows Hurley makes me very happy, and that's another thing she's worried about. She's afraid that Hurley will get so much attention that we'll all forget about Jellybean, and that wouldn't be fair to her, so we won't get to dogsit him this time. :( Ah well, maybe next time. happy holidays everykit xoxoxo