Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Introducing a New Cat. How Long to Wait.

Steven GellesSteven Gelles Bossier CityMember Posts: 16
edited 3 January, 2011 in Behavior & Training
My Mommy and Daddy rescued a 1 year old cat that was abandoned off the streets the other night when it was going to be below freezing. I applaud them for that since I was on the streets as a baby and am glad that I have a wonderful forever home. However, I am having issues with the new kitty. She hisses at me and stares me down. I grew up with another cat, George, who went to heaven last year. So, it\'s been 14 months without a companion. She seems to be a nice loving cat, but I feel that she is trying to take over the household. So, how long should I wait until I tell my Mommy and Daddy that it is just not working out between us two kitties? Thank you, Gracie

Comments

• Steven GellesSteven Gelles Bossier CityMember Posts: 16
    edited 29 December, 2010
    Oh, I forgot. I'm 6 years old. Both of us are spayed.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 29 December, 2010
    Hi Gracie! I'm a Gracie, too! :) I came home when my brother was nearly 2, and he had been an only kitty for over 15 months. He didn't like me at first, but he stopped hissing at me and figured out that I might be fun to be around. In our case, neither one of us had lived on the streets beforehand (we both had mothers who had been rescued from the streets, but we were born indoors and raised as indoor only kitties). In your new sister's case, she's probably just not really sure about you. If she lived in the streets, she might have learned that kitties are territorial, and can get unfriendly. So this is her trying to protect herself. Your mom and dad should give both of you times in which the other can roam the house without the other kitty around. They should also introduce you very slowly, and try to find ways to get you to play nice. My brother is big on treats, so back in the day, mom would reward him with treats when he'd come up to me and sniff me and didn't hiss at me anymore. Boris (that's my brother's name) started associating me being around with good things. Then he discovered I could play with him, and he started becoming fond of me. It took time, but we now are best friends. If you feel intimidated by your new sister, your mom and dad can best help you by giving you your own area in the house where the new kitty is not allowed for now, so you can get some peace and quiet. In fact a good piece of advice is to make one room the new kitty's, and the rest of the house yours, and then switch things around for a little while. Eventually the new kitty will get the idea that you belong to the people, and she has to make nice with you to make them happy.
  • Susanna CookSusanna Cook Member Posts: 768
    edited 30 December, 2010
    First of all, I would like to concatulate you for being so sweet as to rescue this poor kitty. It was truly the right thing to do! =D> Second, these are normal reactions. New cats are the worst in that case, especially those who are domesticated at adult age, or very close to being adults. I suggest you ask a vet, animal behaviorist, etc. It could be anything!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 30 December, 2010
    Hi Gracie! :-h You are a very pretty kitty. =; Its only been a few days, I think you need to remember how awful it was, when you lived on the streets, how scarey it was, and how it took you time to adjust to your new home, and I really think, you should cut your new sister some slack, mol. A kitty coming from a well good home, can take up to 14 days, but a kitty that came from who knows where, and been thru, who knows what, is just going to take longer, you just have to be patient with her. I think your mommy and daddy, should shut the new kitty in the bedroom, with her own cat box, food/water and her very own, brand new toys, as well as one of your blankies, surely, you can spare one, as it will have your scent on it, and help her get used to your scent. This way, your new sister, only has one room to adjust too, and feels safe in there, let her get used to one thing at a time. After a couple of weeks, mommy and daddy, can let your new sister out, she can get used to you, but she still has a place to run back to, the bedroom, a safe place for her, if she gets scared. Thats how I start my kittens, they stay in the bedroom for 2 weeks, but can sniff noses, under the door, then I let them out supervised, spray bottle handy. I gave it a good month, before I left them out with the other kitties unspervised, never had one prob, altho, the big Bump, had to learn, they were not little toys, that moved by themselfs, that his mommy got for him, he played kinda rough with them in the beginning, a few squirts, and saying- no playing rough with kittens, in a stern, but not yelling voice, and he soon learned. Me and my brother Cowboy, now love Bump, he is our big brother and mentor, look at our pictures, we sleep with him, mol, and he loves us too. It just takes time and patience. Best of luck. =; :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Steven GellesSteven Gelles Bossier CityMember Posts: 16
    edited 3 January, 2011
    Update: Things are getting better in the household. Abby does not growl at me any more. We even share the dry food bowl. Daddy has to feed our wet food separately though. I'm getting used to the little squirt. I hope we can be buddies in the future. Love, Gracie