Need to buy a crate...

Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
edited 11 March, 2011 in Cats & Travel
Okay so in a couple of months I have to bring Hunter for his one year vet visit. I need to buy him a crate. When I brought him home and to his other vet visits, I used one of those soft crates that looks like a duffle bag. Well when he got neutered he barely fit in it. That was 8 months ago! I'm looking at some crates from Petco, and I have no idea what size to buy. I like the hard ones not the duffle bags. I think Hunter is still growing. The smallest size is for pets 9 inches tall and under. I think he is taller than that, then the next size up is for pets 11 inches tall and under. Which I think might be okay, but its only for 15 pounds and under. What if he ends up weighing more than that? I hope he won't, but it could be a possibility. Then the 3rd size up, the crate is only 24 inches long! Hunter is at least 15 inches long I think. I'm not saying Hunter is this ginormous cat. But he is a big boy. Big as in physical stature. Not weight. He weights about 11 pounds or so. What size/brand do I buy? I want to buy one that lasts a long time, and will be okay if he grows more or puts on more weight. Totally clueless when it comes to crates. Any help, I'd appreciate it. :)

Comments

• Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 23 January, 2011
    I'm not sure, but maybe you can measure him first and then to go the store? They usually call them carriers when they are for cats, not crates. :) If he is heavy you could also consider getting one with wheels.
  • edited 23 January, 2011
    Omg get a sleepypod its won all sorts of awards. It's a cat bed, carrier and car seat all in one. www.sleepypod.com We have a black one!
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 24 January, 2011
    Hey Penn & Teller, Good suggestion, but I was thinking maybe the Sleepypod Air. Looks like it holds more as in weight. Up to 17 pounds. God forbid Hunter gets that large. Its not as big, and Hunter would be able to stretch out. Plus if I ever need to fly with him, I'd be good to go! Still looking around though, but I'll definiately keep the sleepypod in mind! Good choice. Thanks!
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 24 January, 2011
    Meowma got carriers that are actually larger than cat ones, as she finds it's easier to get kitties in them, and doesn't make her feel so sorry for us. :)) I think they are the size for 25 pound dogs.
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 January, 2011
    It's the soft-sided type, but we like our Sturdi Products carrier. We flew in it, in the cabin. Both Beepers and I were in one carrier because we're small cats (8 lb and 6 lb) and accustomed to being together. It squishes so it fits under the seat for takeoff and landing. We have both gone to the vet together in that carrier, too, so it definitely supports 14 lb. We have the large. It has a rigid bottom so it supports the weight, then has a padded cushion over that. If you're not particular about color, you can sometimes find them on other sites for less.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 24 January, 2011
    I have a Sleepypod too. My Maine Coon is kinda cramped in it though... I don't think the Sleepypod Air is very tall either since it's supposed to fit under an airplane seat? My favorite "carrier" is actually a pet stroller. It has made things a LOT easier when I have my heavier cats or am taking more than one cat somewhere, because it has wheels, and it's easier to take the cats in and out since they are at a higher place than if they were in a carrier. Plus they hold 30-40 pounds, and you can even get some that hold 75 pounds. The only downside is you may have to take the cat out of it to get in the car. We have a minivan so we just lift it into the car, but if your car is smaller you might need to fold the stroller up. I know a few have a removable carrier section or let the cat stay in when it folds up, but not all.
  • edited 24 January, 2011
    those sleepy pods look cool i wish momma could afford them for us. They look small too. anyway onto hunters post momma got our carriers in the dog section at petco she forgets what size they are. they are alot bigger than cat carriers. we had some soft sided ones too but they broke.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 24 January, 2011
    With big kitties, like Bump, like Hunter, ya gotta stop thinking kitty carriers, and start thinking doggie carriers, mol. :)) This is Bump's carrier, its a Pet Mate Vari Kennel, and his, is rated for a 30 lb dog. His was $75, and that was 4 yrs ago, so his is prob the medium one. He fits in there comfortably, he can stretch out, and sit up, and both kittens will fit in there, if I take them, instead of Bump. They travel pretty far, so they, have, to be comfortable. Comes in handy too, if for whatever reason, you need to confine them for a period of time. :-h http://www.1800petmeds.com/product.jsp?id=prod60170&sku=60170&MID=1616&CID=12061 I got his, at a horsey supply store, mol. They used to kid me at shows, said your going to have get him a horsey trailer soon, mol, mol, mol. :))
  • edited 24 January, 2011
    Daddy's still reeling from the Sleepypod purchase.. Just wait til we get a red one!~a~ Definitely not for your full grown Maine Coon though. I find that all depressing since it's such a popular breed and such a fantastic carrier Sleepypod make a Megapod! For our Maine Coon furrriends
    edited 25 January, 2011
    Looks like I'll have to purchase one for a small dog. Maybe even a medium sized dog. Hunter is tall, and long. He has to be part Maine Coon i'm thinking. Anyway, I think the Sleepypods aren't going to work for him. Although I like the design, he'll be too squished. The stroller sounds great, I wouldn't have to carry him going into the vets, but I have a 2 door car, wouldn't work unfortunately. I suppose I'm going to have to go to petsmart/petco and look at the dog ones. The problem is, Hunter is more physically large than what he weighs. Should I buy a carrier that is more for his size or one that will hold more? I'm thinking one that will accomodate his size. Right? :?
    edited 25 January, 2011
    Alright so I really like the Sturdi Products. Although it is a soft sided one, I really like it. Now I just have to see how long Hunter is before I buy one. I measure him from nose to bum right?
    edited 25 January, 2011
    That sounds right for measuring, Hunter, but I'm not sure. Mom has not called the Sturdi people recently, but she did call once for some info before she ordered and they were extremely helpful -- maybe they could advise. That Extra-Large Sturdi carrier in the Earthy Tan color is a great price @ $74.95 -- it's even less than the smallest size. :-O That color would look good for you, Hunter! But that one would be too large for in-cabin travel on a plane, I think, if that's important. Our Large one barely fit in the under-seat space, although it did meet the size requirements posted by the airline. If you want something that's really nice for traveling in the car, then the Sturdi Shelters are great for that. But they are not carriers because they do not have a rigid bottom and cannot support much weight -- so you must have a carrier in addition. We inherited the Car-Go Pop Up Double from the cats who lived here before us. It's great! It takes up the whole back seat of the car. :)) We like it for a "house" inside our house, too! The Car-Go one is nice for the car because it's very roomy but it's shorter than the other shelters, so it does not interfere with the driver's view. It might be difficult getting the Double into the back seat of a 2-door vehicle, though -- the Single might not even be easy to get in. We have 4-door vehicles. The safety and convenience features of the Sturdi Products are well thought out. If your mom ever goes to a cat show, she'll see lots of their Show Shelters being used. The Sturdi people know what works and what's important for traveling cats. (Mom's tempted to buy that X-Large Tan one at that price, too!)
    edited 25 January, 2011
    Mom said to warn your mom that the Sturdi carrier was a bit difficult for her to assemble -- but that\'s probably because our Mom\'s a weakling and a klutz. It\'s not complicated, but getting the 2nd rod inserted was difficult. The first rod was easy enough, but the 2nd one was not. She finally got it, though. This is what she\'s talking about: How to assemble a SturdiBag I think the carriers are the only things that have to be assembled like that (not the shelters). Just thought I\'d warn your mom so she\'s not surprised by it.
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 25 January, 2011
    When mommy worked at a pet shop she regularly sold this cool 3-in-1 Soft carry bag/stroller/car seat for the puppies they sold at the shop. It was something very similar to This one - The great news was the bag easily removed with the pet still in it to be carried or put in a car. For a very heavy cat, might be worth considering. As a bonus the 'stroller base' could be used to move say...kitty litter tubs or bags of dog food or cases of soda/water....anything really. The frame on the one she sold was rated for up to 300 pounds...the carrier up to 35. MOL! The Frame easily folded down to fit in any trunk too. Great stuff. Although that sleepy pod air thing looks great. Misty had this fun mesh sided carrier....she chewed through the mesh, eeek! and she tried to chew through the mesh on MY soft carrier also. Looks like we will be traveling in our hard sided carriers that we use for feeding time now. If mommy gets me a new soft carrier I want one of those sleepy pod air ones!
    edited 26 January, 2011
    Alright, so its come down to one product. The SturdiBag. Which I really like. Problem is, I don't know what size to get. Part of me wants to get the x-large because its on sale. Would that be too big? I think it would be great length and width, but 16 inches tall, thats a lot. Its only a 5 minute ride to the vets, but it looks like Hunter could use it as a bed too. He loves bags. What if I move? He could end up being in a carrier for up to 45 minutes going to the vet. Then I'm assuming the x-large would be a good choice. He could turn around, stand up etc.... Hmmm, I guess I answered my own question, x-large it is! Thanks everyone for your advice, especially Ashlynne. If mom has any problems getting it assembled, she knows who to talk to! hehehe Thank so much! I'm going to be riding in style! :)
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 26 February, 2011
    Hunter, how did the Sturdi bag work out for you? Got any pictures? :D Looks like a great product. I have a dog-sized hard sided carrier for Isabelle, but it weighs a ton and rattles in the car (which she hates), so would like to get her something more comfortable. :^:
    edited 28 February, 2011
    Hi Isabelle! :-h Hunter likes the Sturdibag. Although I haven't used it yet, its just sitting in the livingroom. The first weekend I had it, Hunter used it as his little hide-a-way. Since then he doesn't use it as much. Its a little large. I got the x-large, and I think I could of gotten away with the large, but Hunter could still be growing. Not sure on that one. Anyway, it was on sale so I figure, why not. Hunter has to duck his head down to get into it (he is a tall boy) but the length is great. I purposely bought it for the height and length. He can lay down and he fits just right. Although he can't stretch out, it works. They say a Sheltie (dog) can fit in the x-large. Probably if you cram the dog into it. I personally can't see it. I'm glad I got the x-large, it works for Hunters length. He isn't fat/round so technically I could put him and my dog in there. I have a Yorkie. It was a little challenging putting the rods in, but overall, took me about 15 minutes to put it together. I got the tan one, and it looks exactly like the website picture. It has flaps on the top with mesh zippers so Hunter could pop his head up without getting out of the carrier. Has a back flap for air ventalation, has a handle with leather, and a shoulder strap. Also has loops for the seatbelt when its time to use it in the car. The pad on the bottom is like an egg crate. Really soft and its washable! I really like it, its the best of both worlds. Its hard on the bottom, not like a duffle bag, the top looks like a covered wagon, but is collapsable if you need to go in an airplane. I think if I ever need to go on a roadtrip with Hunter, he would be perfectly comfortable in his SturdiBag. To carry it, it is a little big. Then again I'm only 5'2" so I'm short. But for Hunter its just a 5 minute ride to the vets and bag home again. Great purchase, glad I bought it. Quality is excellent, and overall, I'd buy it again! :D There is a picture of Hunter in his SturdiBag (sorry for the bad quality) its in his Catster Photobook. You can check it out if you want.
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 4 March, 2011
    Oooh, it's very nice!! Big and roomy! I think I'll get the large one for Isabelle. She's not as big as hunter and tends to roll up in a ball in the back of her carrier anyway.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 9 March, 2011
    Cat show people love their SturdiBags. They come in lots of colors and some crazy patterns. The extra large should be large enough for a Maine Coon. I would like one, but they're expensive, and not really practical when transporting my cats to shows, because I have to put the carrier on a wheeled cart. The only time I use a soft carrier is when I take a cat to the vet and put the carrier in my bicycle basket. Spike invariably wee wees, and so I just buy a series of El Cheapo generic carriers from my local discount store and throw them out when they get dirty. I'm sure not going to spend $150 (Japan price) for a SturdiBag and have to throw it out after a single use because Spike couldn't hold his water. Usually I use a hard plastic carrier, the kind you use for shipping cats by air cargo. It's square, and comes in sizes that go all the way up to large enough for a medium size dog. These carriers are good for confining a cat at meal time, if you're feeding your cats different diets. They sell cloth covers for these carriers at cat shows, so Kitty can't look out and humans can't look in. I leave the carriers open and some of my crew use them as nap spots. This helps do away with carrier phobia. I don't think carriers are really meant to be big enough for the cat to stand up and walk around. Cats spend most of their time sleeping anyway, so as long as the cat has enough room to sleep in a natural position, that should be big enough. I use a medium size carrier for my Maine Coons, and have a large one for when I transport two smaller cats or a bunch of kittens. :^:
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 11 March, 2011
    Hi Hunter, Glad you like your Sturdi Bag carrier! We have a Sturdi Bag large in red and a Sturdi Tote in earthy tan. We are very happy with them and are considering getting a small Sturdi Bag for airline travel.