Tragic story of shipping kitten

Jana RichardsonJana Richardson Member Posts: 2
edited 12 February, 2011 in Cats & Travel
Please read this article. It is very sad. Please think twice before shipping your pet even if the airline claims to keep them in a climate controlled environment. They don't disclose exactly how climate control works and when the plane lands the cargo area is no longer temperature controlled. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41281428/ns/travel-news/

Comments

• edited 27 January, 2011
    I think shipping kittens as if they were objects you bought from a catalogue is nuts. I remember seeing "we ship domestic and internationally" on breeder websites when I started my search for a Scottish Fold kitten and I was mortified. That kitten had the sweetest little face this breaks my heart.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 28 January, 2011
    Sphynxes, being basically hairless, are particularly sensitive to cold. The breeder should have put a sweater on the kitten. As for transporting cats bought from breeders via air, sometimes there's no choice. I'd like to get a Maine Coon from the U.S. for my cattery, and that will obviously involve air travel. In most cases I've heard of (perhaps mostly international flights?), the cat must go by cargo, even if the human is on the same plane. If you put your cat in a cat show in another country, or even in a place too far to drive to, it goes on a plane. More commonly, cats must fly when someone moves to a different country that can only be reached by air. I've sent a kitten to a client by air, and there were no problems. Perhaps airlines in Japan pay more attention to the animal's welfare than in the U.S.? Breeders frequently air ship animals to customers and also to other breeders, and I've never heard of any incidents. Obviously, even one death is too many. Personally, I would choose to drive to get a cat, or take a train (cats can travel with their humans on trains in Japan). Leaving the morality of breeders shipping kittens to customers aside, there are times when air travel is a necessity, and I hope that airline companies will take measures to lessen the chance of mishap.
  • edited 28 January, 2011
    The last I checked, animals under 10 lbs were welcome to ride on lap with humans in a carrier.
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 28 January, 2011
    Poor Baby. so sad
    edited 28 January, 2011
    You're not going to get a Maine Coon under 10 pounds shipped from the U.S.--you have to wait until it's almost a year old and proven to be rabies-free (Japan doesn't have rabies) until it can be shipped. MOL. I always fly Northwest to the States, because it's the only airline that connects to my hometown. INVARIABLY there is at least one baby crying during the entire trip. I'd much rather have someone with a kitty in a carrier under the seat in front of them. But...what kind of checking do they do to cats who travel by airplane? X-ray them? At some point, that must mean taking the cat out of the carrier, which poses the risk of the cat escaping.
  • edited 29 January, 2011
    Omg you're flying with my kids! %:D% awesomesauce enjoy the inflight entertainment
    edited 30 January, 2011
    I was once on a Northwest flight where they had ten soon-to-be adopted babies from Korea in the row in front of me. Aw, nice, they found forever homes. Cute, no. Between the incessant screaming and the sporadic barfing, I really felt Northwest owed me a free flight.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 30 January, 2011
    I don't know about international specifically, but I know a lot of airlines allow pets to travel in cabin with the owner as long as they fit in a carrier that can go under the seat. I traveled with my 10-11 pound cat on Southwest last month. Northwest allows pets up to 15 pounds. My Maine Coon (female, purebred) is only 11 pounds at 3 years old.
    edited 30 January, 2011
    Mine range from around 11 pounds to Lowell's 18 (he's fat). A SturdiShelter bag would be good for that because it's cloth and the shape can adapt. With airline security the way it is now, though, I have a feeling that Northwest would say no to an in-cabin kitty, but when the time comes, all I have to do is ask.
    edited 31 January, 2011
    I don't know why they would say no? I just flew with Church last month in cabin. When we got on the plane they told me that there were 4 other pets traveling in the cabin too (the max for Southwest is 5 per flight.) What they do is at security, you have to take the cat (or dog) out of the carrier and put the empty carrier through the x-ray machine. Then you carry the cat through the metal detectors. Once you get through the metal detectors, the cat goes back in the carrier. I had Church wear a harness just in case he got spooked, and one of the security guys said that none of the other cats he saw had worn harnesses. He said he thought it was a good idea. I was surprised that other people didn't use one for safety! I wish I had brought a pet stroller because Southwest's policy is you can bring a pet stroller, it doesn't count as your carry-on, and it is a gate-check item. It would have been easier than carrying 10-11 pounds of cat through the airport. The airports we went through didn't have those body scanners yet so we didn't have to do anything else.
    edited 1 February, 2011
    If I ever travel with a cat, I'll make sure to ask regarding keeping the cat with me. My cats are utterly silent on all forms of transportation, and are good at holding their bodily functions. All the people I know who fly in and out of Japan put their cats in cargo, and I have a feeling that touchy-feely NWA isn't going to say yes to a cabin kitty.
    edited 1 February, 2011
    I tried to look up the info about Northwest's pet policy, and it says they merged with Delta. Delta does allow pets in the cabin for domestic(US) travel but I don't know about their international policies. This is the one I took (domestic flight) with Church, Southwest: http://www.southwest.com/html/travel-extras/pets/index-pol.html I just had to call ahead of time and make a reservation for a pet traveling in cabin, once I had my own reservation. Oh and pay the pet fee of course.
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 12 February, 2011
    If you ever have any questions about flying with pets, ask my pup friend Whitley She's the expert, since she has to fly with her dog all the time.