Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Wowee!! Someone LOVES Salmon!

Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
edited 9 February, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
Some of you might know that Hobie has been sick, and of course sick kitties lose their appetite. I've been struggling to get Hobie to eat enough food. The only wet he can tolerate is the Merrick Before Grain 100% cans (which have been discontinued and are hard to find of course). Well, I opened one of the two precious salmon flavors today to mix it with some anti-diarrhea medicine and OH MY GOSH KITTIPALOOZA! Zelda and Hobie came out of no where and went bonkers. Hobie gobbled it right up, which I haven't seen him eat like that in months. No sign of vomiting it back up either. My question is, they aren't making these cans anymore, naturally now that I've found Hobie can eat them. So, can I cook salmon, shrimp, etc. for Hobie to mix with his meals to add extra protein and get him to eat? How often is it safe to mix these in. Which seafood critters are the safest? Thanks!!

Comments

• Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 8 February, 2011
    Hi, I am so glad you got Hobie to eat!!! I don't know what the safest is, but we have found that when Bella was ill, she tolerated fresh salmon well, in fact,she would quite literally be sitting up and not wait for me to get the plate down. We also used bluefish because everyone enjoyed it. Have you tried any of the TIKI cat, they have several fish flavors that my guys enjoy. Weluva too, is a favorite here.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 8 February, 2011
    I don't think they discontinued it, I was told they made it with added vitamins and proper nutrients now. Have you checked their website? You know I was at the grocery store the other day and thought about buying some salmon to cook up and give to Finn and Lacey. I may do it now that I hear how much yours loves it. :)
  • Mary WaltersMary Walters Milton KeynesMember Posts: 6,959
    edited 8 February, 2011
    I have salmon in freezer, hmmm, wonder if my lot would like some. They won't eat tinned, only tuna and not in oil, picky lot:))
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 8 February, 2011
    They discontinued the varieties that are 100% meat. Now they're 96% meat and 4% other crud because people were complaining they couldn't feed it as an exclusive diet. There is something in canned food, guar gum I'm guessing, that Hobie absolutely cannot tolerate. We tried every wet food on the planet until the BG, and it's the only one he seems to be able to eat. I tried the new formulation and same as every other can now. Really irritating. I bought all of our stores stock in the old formulas and I guess after they run out I'll just add homecooked toppers. Here's a link to a site that lists safe fish based on mercury content, I'm going to use it as a loose guide. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 9 February, 2011
    What about Evangers 100% salmon? It\'s just salmon and water. They sell it on onlynaturalpet.com Purrs, Shade