Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Water Dilemma/ Chicken Dilemma

Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
edited 17 February, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
Ok so just finished watching Dr. Oz show and the show covered a part on Water that we drink. So this does apply to our felines too. Have you had your water tested recently? I know Im going to do this soon. We have not lived here long but we are on a well not city water, so there could be natural occuring lead or arsenic in it. We do filter our water, but its not enough, really need to buy a better filtering system( Reverse Osmosis) if it turns out we need too. If there is Percholate in the water this can cause Hyperthyroidism. If there is Chromium 6 in the water this can cause Cancer. Lead and Arsenic is also a known Carcinogen. So for those of you who especially feed dry food to your cats, and your cats are drinking water from the tap, you may want to have your water tested. Its really not much money, where we live its only about 25$ to get water tested. You then may say well we drink bottle water, or give that to our cats. Well guess what we can never know if this \"bottle water\" is actually spring water, it may actually be just tap water. Bottle companies do not have to state on the bottle where the water came from. If it says that the water is filtered then it could just be filtered water from the tap :O Also would like to share this link on a show I watched the other night about Chicken. click here So all this chicken that we feed our pets (Raw feeders too.) You may want to do some research. Just think about all the antibiotics that are getting into our little pets, let alone ourselves. Even some of the ones that are labelled antibiotic free have been tested and were found to have antibiotics. So when and if our kitties do get sick and need antibiotics they just do not work. If you are concerned about antibiotic use on farms, contact your local MP about limits on antibiotic use.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 15 February, 2011
    http://ibdkitties.net/heatlthywater.html I have a link there for the one I use. Even if you don't order from this place, you can see what type to get that's local to you. BTW, I'll be writing another blog soon on onlynaturalpets.com on this very subject! :D
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 15 February, 2011
    Thanks for the link to that item Alez:D I also wanted to add that if you live in a house that is built before the 70's the lead pipes also will add lead to your water. Never drink warm or hot water from the tap cause that is even worse, blech!!
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 16 February, 2011
    What a great point Shadow. I'll probably add that to my blog if that's okay? I live in a 90 year old house and they JUST changed all the pipes a couple of years ago on my street and this neighborhood. They were over 100 years old. Blech is right!
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 16 February, 2011
    Shaow, that's one of the problems Meowma has with farmed meats. She tries to eat meats and fish she um, 'harvests'herself at least 90% of the time, and hates that we won't eat them. Unfortunately it's impossible for most people to feed 100% natural,to their human or animal families, even if they are raw feeders. We say do the best you can and don't feel guilty or worry yourself to death. Even 'organically farmed' animals are still not totally natural, but not everyone has the inclination, time, or opportunity to get their meats the pioneer way.
  • Billy Ceo CatBilly Ceo Cat Member Posts: 14
    edited 17 February, 2011
    the water I drink comes out of this tank with a big bottle on top. all my other sis and bro kitties drink from there as well. We like to watch the water go into our bowl. And when it moves around we stick our paws in it