Inexpensive but good food for senior cat

Rayhne SinclairRayhne Sinclair MadisonMember Posts: 24
edited 25 February, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
Due to expenses, I switched from IAMs to One dry food and have noticed that MsB wants more wet food. Previously I would give her just a spoonful of Friskie pouch wet food a day as a treat. Now she is begging throughout the evening. I feed her a spoonful three times a night (which is very annoying). If I don't she just sits in the kitchen and screams at me every time I walk out there. I'm planning on switching back to IAMs once this bag is gone but would love some alternative recommendations

Comments

• Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 21 February, 2011
    Well, since she obviously loves wet food, why not feed her that? It is much better for cats, I'd say even more so for senior cats, click here for more info on that. Alex has a list of grain free foods: click here which would be the best thing to be feeding. If you decide to stick with feeding dry, please don't feed IAMS. First off, the ingrediants aren't good for a carnivore at all. You may also want to check out this site about Iams Cruelty. Also, if you are wanting to be feeding all dry, again get the food off of the list that Alex has made. Personally, I think that they highest quality dry food is going to be worse for a cat than the lowest quality wet food. So say you want to keep the food bill at ~$15 a month you could still feed all wet food and your cat would be much better off. I think that the Friskies Poulty Platter is actually a decent food, the first ingrediant is Turkey, and it is mostly meat, though they use some rice in it. I'd also encourage you to at least look into the idea of feeding a raw diet. It can be done very inexpensivly in some cases. My adult cats, who are barn cats, are fed a raw diet for $0.25-$0.33 a day (it depends on the weather/tempeture outside). This site is a good place to get the basic idea's of raw feeding.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 22 February, 2011
    Thank you Mo! I need not say another word, you covered it! =;
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 25 February, 2011
    As usual, I have to jump in and speak up for senior kitties! :D No offense, but MsBehavin', I see, is 18 years old! ;c; So Iam's hasn't killed her yet; at her age I think that trying to make her do a drastic change of diet will upset her and might even cause her to become picky, refuse to eat, or otherwise jeapordize her health. Meowma was shocked when she accidentally discovered that I will eat a little canned after all, but it HAS to be FF turkey or ProPlan Salmon and fish--the kitten ones. Meowma lets me have one in the am, along with the kittens. I don't eat it all but the kittens finish it. I still demand dry the rest of the time. If MsBehavin would like to try something other than Iam's, I'd like to suggest Purina One, which actually has higher quality protein and higher percentage of it than the majority of the 'better' brand foods Meowma has seen, and the price is about the same as Iam's or Eukanuba. I won't eat grain free dry, except that I did like the sample of Orijen Meowma got at the cat show, but it's too expensive for us.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 25 February, 2011
    As usual, I have to jump in and speak up for senior kitties! :D No offense, but MsBehavin', I see, is 18 years old! ;c; So Iam's hasn't killed her yet; at her age I think that trying to make her do a drastic change of diet will upset her and might even cause her to become picky, refuse to eat, or otherwise jeapordize her health. Meowma was shocked when she accidentally discovered that I will eat a little canned after all, but it HAS to be FF turkey or ProPlan Salmon and fish--the kitten ones. Meowma lets me have one in the am, along with the kittens. She thinks I may just be eating it to show the kittens that I am the boss and can have their food if I want it, but I just can't stand the odor of the other varieties...yuck! I don't eat it all but the kittens finish it. I still demand dry the rest of the time. If MsBehavin would like to try something other than Iam's, I'd like to suggest Purina ProPlan, which actually has higher quality protein and higher percentage of it than the majority of the 'premium' brand foods Meowma has seen, like Blue or TOTW and the price is about the same as Iam's or Eukanuba. I won't eat grain free dry, except that I did like the sample of Orijen Meowma got at the cat show, but it's too expensive for us.