Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

wellness recall

edited 3 March, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
this came to me through an e-mail by truthaboutpetfood.com wellness canned food with lots from 14apr 13 through 30sept13 have been recalled and chicken and herring lot dates 10nov13 or 17nov13 u can read read the full article here at http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/wellness-cat-food-recall.html

Comments

• Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 March, 2011
    We applaud Wellness for their quick action, unlike some companies who wait and wait. Here is the link to the info on the Wellness website: WELLNESS CANNED CAT FOOD RECALL
  • edited 1 March, 2011
    thank you hazel lucy i was just about post that.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 1 March, 2011
    Thanks for posting, got this through truth about pet food via facebook. Now Im worried!! as I know I have fed these batches to my cats :(
  • Amanda BurgerAmanda Burger FishersMember Posts: 21,269
    edited 1 March, 2011
    They did say that most batches tested out fine and they're recalling more to make it less confusing on the consumer. In case anyone is worried, here's what to look for: thiamine deficiency symptoms.
  • edited 1 March, 2011
    what? How do you get Thiamine deficiency that fast?
  • Kimberly GardnerKimberly Gardner Member Posts: 16
    edited 1 March, 2011
    Lucy eats Wellness almost exclusively. Thankfully, she loves food, so I don't anticipate needing to find something she'll eat. However, does anyone have any suggestions for a substitution in the meantime? Weruva, Merrick, etc.
    edited 1 March, 2011
    Just got back from the pet food store, took back the cans that had been recalled. Though they removed all the cans, even the ones that are not on the list, Grr!! so could not exchange for newer cans. Had to buy some Natural Balance which is ok, but does have grain in it. There was nothing much else, except Evo which my cats now turn their noses up too. Not may choices out there. :(
  • Julie CarvillJulie Carvill Member Posts: 41
    edited 1 March, 2011
    I am going to be feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness, By Nature (got it on sale), Fancy Feast (no wheat, no gluten), Dave's and Wellness not on recall.
  • Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 1 March, 2011
    Anyone else thinking it is the vitamin premix that is used by Wellpet? There have been two other recalls lately for the same problem. The only thing they could have in common is the premix.
    edited 1 March, 2011
    Yup that is what I am thinking MO, big discussion going on over at Itchmo about this. Im not even sure if I want to feed the cans that I have that were "not affected".
    edited 1 March, 2011
    I have three cans of Wellness and don't know if they were affected by the recall or not. I personally think I'll still feed the three cans I have, the cat getting them is Nightmare, who gets about 30 other brands/flavors of wet food. I had seen the whole discussion over at Itchmo at well which is why I brought it up here. Nutro, Evanger's, Wellness, and Eagle Pack all use the same premix...I wonder if those are going to be at least tested as well?
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 1 March, 2011
    Mo, are you saying there were other recent recalls of Wellness or what food are you talking about? What premixes and what company/food? I just looked on the FDA site and found nothing about Wellness or Wellpet before Feb. 28, 2011 fda.gov/pet food recalls Also there was nothing listed on another page on the fda site that lists all the companies that had recalls from 2007 until now: click here I am not that worried about this incident. I do feed some Wellness, but I'm feeding a lot of different brands and raw. But I still think Wellness is a decent food. Like some others have said, Wellness is handling this well and being proactive about it. Shadow, have you tried the Natural Balance limited ingredient canned foods. I like those because of the different protein sources, like duck and venison. The NB limited ingredient canned foods don't have grains, but they do have "pea flour" and "pea protein". EDIT: Okay, you answered before I posted. Is there info about these companies using the same premix? Interesting...
    edited 1 March, 2011
    There have recently also been other recalls due to thiamine-deficient foods. They were Iams ProActive Health canned cat and kitten food as well as Premium Edge (made by Diamond). Those were in the last year or so, then the new Wellness Recall. All these products are made by differant companies/manufactuers. The most likely conclusion? They vitamin premix they use. Wellness is being assumed to be using the Trouw/Nutreco premix as they are a Wellpet brand, and Wellpet uses that premix in Eagle Pack, also a Wellpet brand. Are there other companies we need to worry about then? Holistic Select (previously known as Eagle Pack?) uses the Trouw/Nutreco premix as well. Both Eagle Pack and Wellness are Wellpet brands. Other companies that use the Trouw/Nutreco premix are: 1. Nutro 2. Evanger's 3. Wellness* 4. Eagle Pack *They have told some consumers they are using the Trouw/Nutreco premix yet told others that they will not give out the name of the premix. Something fishy is going on here... There are more details regarding this on Itchmo and this is where I had found the above information out at. See http://itchmoforums.com/news-recall-related/wellness-canned-cat-food-recall-t12641.0.html at itcho for more information.
    edited 2 March, 2011
    Hi Gump the only NB flavour I feed is the chicken and Liver or the Turkey and Gibblets, it does contain brown rice, but I guess I can put up with that in small quantaties. I was told not to put cats on this pea protein food unless they really have to, due to allergies. I dont think that the pea protein is an appropriate protein source, thats just my understanding though. I will check out the other flavours though. Mo this is getting interesting isnt it??:-/
  • edited 2 March, 2011
    me and my sister alexis has never liked any flavors of the wellness canned food. whenever mom tried to feed to us we have refused to eat it. mom could neve figure out why because we like other canned foods. like the gluten free fancy feast, natural balance.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 2 March, 2011
    More info on the recall "A consumer complaint that two cats being fed “Turkey & Salmon” and ‘Chicken & Herring” became ill (they have subsequently recovered) led to the discovery of a possible insufficiency of thiamine (vitamin B1). Although other formulas have been tested and found to have sufficient thiamine, to minimize confusion they recalled all formulas and sizes of their canned cat foods. We have spoken with the head of quality control and are satisfied that subsequent date codes have sufficient thiamine and we expect written documentation to that effect by 3/2/11. Pouches are not affected by this recall." We are fed Wellness canned plus we share a Wellness pouch or 2 a day. We don't eat any of the fish flavors, only the turkey and chicken. Right now our cans are on the date Oct 2013 so we ate plenty of the recalled dated food and we are fine. Mommy did feel relieved to read the above and get more info on this. We will stay on the Wellness food. Hope no other kitties got sick.
  • Diane HooperDiane Hooper Member Posts: 314
    edited 2 March, 2011
    Silly question: would it be okay to mix a B1 supplement (with the same guidelines Alex has on her site for B12, e.g. vegetarian, nothing artificial, etc.) with the Wellness canned? I think the B vitamins are water-soluble, so overdosing wouldn't be an issue. :? Thoughts? I checked last night and it turns out I've been giving Pookie chicken and turkey from these batches. :-O Thankfully I rotate them with Nature's Variety canned and a little Weruva and raw. He seems okay so far . . . Thanks for posting this information!!!!
  • Kayla DeverKayla Dever Rochester HillsMember Posts: 2,010
    edited 2 March, 2011
    So far I think they've responded very well to the recall and haven't heard of too many cats that were seriously affected. Currently not feeding any of my kitties Wellness (they eat TOTW dry and Chicken Soup or Trader Joe's wet) but have fed the dogs Wellness and always liked the company. As long as this gets handled well, which it appears it is, I'll feed them again with confidence.
  • Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    edited 2 March, 2011
    I have two cans from the recalled batch, but I think I will probably just go ahead and use them. Maddox gets such a variety of brands that I don't think it will be a problem. Out of 10 cans that he has had over the last two weeks, only two of them would have been Wellness, and that is in addition to some dry Blue Wilderness that he gets, as well as some raw. So I think we will be ok. I would only be worried if all he ate was this food.
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 3 March, 2011
    I\'ve been eating Wellness for 5 years and this is the first time there has been a recall. So far, the company has impressed me with how they\'re handling the situation. They listened to the complaints and took them seriously, investigated and then when they found out that there was something wrong, they admitted it and acted to do something about it rather than trying to cover it up and pretend that nothing was wrong. Mommy has no problem with my continuing to eat Wellness in the future. I eat a variety of canned food brands -- Natural Balance, Weruva, Fancy Feast (grain-free classics), Performatrin, PetGuard, Blue Buffalo, etc. -- and mommy isn\'t at all concerned about a vitamin B-1 deficiency. Mommy went to PetValu this afternoon and most of the Wellness canned foods were gone and a notice posted explaining why. However, there were some cans of some of my fav flavors on the shelf -- turkey & salmon and chicken & herring -- that had best buy dates either before or after the ones recalled and mommy stocked up. I\'m very happy about that because I do love eating Wellness for breakfast! ;c;;c;;c;
  • Elizabeth MabardyElizabeth Mabardy Member Posts: 2,708
    edited 3 March, 2011
    :-h Mew mews Kaci Sunshine, I went shopping today & bought some Wellness Grain - Free Pouches & Turkey & Chicken canned foods. All the recalls are off the shelf. I also checked the dates & they are all Best By Date OCT 13 I also bought Kally Kat's favorites Weruva, EVO 95%, BFF & Tiki. Kally Kat been eating Wellness Grain - Free for the past 3 years with no problems & hope it continues to stay that way. Yes, it was very nice of them to up front & honest in regards to our furrbabies. Wishing you are well & healthy! :) Kally Kat xoxoxo