Arrival Stories

Comments

• MouseMouse Near Camborne,Member Posts: 43,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May, 2011
    Last summer my mum died suddenly and unexpectedly. Her family didn't know what to do with me, so they took me to a small, local shelter. Mum said that she would give me a home but before I could get here the family decided that they would take me and give me a home. About two months later I was taken back to the shelter again, they didn't want me as I apparently peed on their kitchen floor. Mums daughter was told that I was back there again and she went and picked me up and brought me home to mum the very same day. Turns out that I had cystitis through all of the stress, no wonder I peed on the floor. Any way, I settled in as if I had been here all my life and have just had my very first birthday, my eighteenth with my new mum, brothers and sisters in my new forever home.
  • Mary WaltersMary Walters Milton KeynesMember Posts: 6,959
    edited 31 May, 2011
    Thanks for the rosette xx I am glad you got a good home Shimmer xxxx
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 31 May, 2011
    Adinnan: I hope you are able to stay with your new/old family.. they deserve to have you in rememberance of your original mum, after all they are family. Happy Birthday, there is a rosette on your pagie.
    edited 31 May, 2011
    This is a story about a cat in the neighborhood. Hi ! We have a cat in our neighborhood who has been coming around for a couple years. I first discovered this little black and white cat when I was doing yard work. He was always in the wooded areas, never coming out or near the house. One day mom said..mmmmm I wonder who owns this cat, so she asked around but nobody knew. Then one day when she was driving up the road in her car she seen the cat in a yard where some illegal mexicans lived, the kitty was eating in front of their house. Mom kind of gathered that they found this cat while on one of their jobs (landscaping).They kept the cat outside and it was, and has been free to roam for quite some time now. Last year mom decided to feed it regularly underneath the overturned row boat in the back yard. (And so she does every day) He has a name now that mom gave him its Don Jose', we thought a mexican name would suit him fine. He comes to our yard at different times to eat, mom puts out dry and wet for him. He still never comes in the clearing and hides in the woods or behind trees. Don is a black and white tuxedo cat with piercing greenish amber eyes that can be seen from quite a distance. Even though we cant get near him we promise to feed him daily. We just call him our "stray cat". ::o Maybe some day we will put up his beautiful pictures we took of him in the woods and under the boat.
    edited 2 June, 2011
    Patch was missed out, he was born here :)):)):)) Mom rehomed me, but fetched me back after one and a half days =;
    edited 2 June, 2011
    So sorry Patch, I somehow skipped over you with the Rosettes? Me bad. There is one there now to add to your pagie. I must of been cat napping.:c9 We are so glad your momma got you back ! Like they say you dont know what ya got till its gone. =;
    edited 2 June, 2011
    It was mom left me out :-O:-O No I cried all the time he was gone, had to get him back, Ginge is back where he belongs too=;
    edited 3 June, 2011
    Come on CATSTERs we are waiting for some stories and I have prezzies to give out.;c;
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 3 June, 2011
    Well...Before mom met me I was rescued by a very kind lady. Our Mom had died Giving birth to us. So the family didn't know what to do and the kind rescue lady took us in and raised us. About 8 weeks after that mom had been looking for a kitten and seen a sign that said "Kittens" and thats how mom met me. Mom is so glad that someone took care of us after our mom died. We are very thankful. Love, Gordy
    edited 4 June, 2011
    Thank you Gordy !! You got a prezzie fur your page.
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 June, 2011
    This is Maus', direct from his profile, (as well as Chloe, now at the Bridge): Maus, along with his mommy Chloe, were both rescue kitties that we hadn't planned on adopting. As fate would have it, my mother traveled on a road she didn't usually take as a detour to go on an errand, and saw what looked like two small kittens in a grassy area near a tremendous ditch. As it was dark,and growing late, she wasn't able to stop and look. The next day we again went that way, and sure enough there was a kitten in the same spot. Parking the car, we got out and went over to investigate. A tiny kitten, no more than 5 weeks old, came running over and allowed me to pick him up. It was clear to see that he had an upper respiratory infection, and conjunctivitis to boot. As I was holding the kitten on my knee while kneeling in the grass, he meowed and squirmed and made a break for freedom, running in the direction of the fence that led down to the ditch. On the opposite side of the fence, perched on the tree, was what could only be the mother of the kitten, a very thin female with almost the same exact markings. At first I wasn't sure what to do. Should we leave the kitten with his mother? Take the kitten? Go back home and find some sort of carrier to bribe the mother cat in? These thoughts all occured to us because we thought the mother was a feral cat. It soon became clear that she was not feral, as she leapt from the tree, meowing all the way, and squeezed under the fence to come running over to us. Though we had no carrier, I couldn't leave them there, not after seeing how thin the mother cat was, and the amount of discharge from both their eyes. As luck would have it, I was to start my job at a nearby veterinary hospital that day, and we brought the cats in to get the care that they needed for their upper respiratory infections. The mother cat, who we nicknamed "Mommy kitty", was very thin at only a little over 4 pounds. The kitten, dubbed "Lucky", was barely a pound! Both mother and kitten had fleas, and a stubborn U.R.I. that would take a few weeks to resolve. As we had Brookie, "Mommy Kitty" and "Lucky" were given a temporary home in the shed, which was specially insulated, and we installed a temporary heater to keep them warm. Once they were deemed healthy, mommy and kitten were allowed in the house, and they've been loved members of the family since. Maus has had quite a tough life for a young man of only two years! In addition to the upper respiratory infection he had as a kitten, Maus has had a bunch of medical problems since being rescued. At only six months of age, still named "Lucky", he was rushed to the veterinary hospital after several days of vomiting and acute abdominal pain and crying early one morning. The veterinarian, having felt "something strange" in his intestines upon palpitation, took an X-Ray that determined that there was a foreign body creating a blockage in his intestines. "Lucky" was rushed to surgery for its immediate removal, and part of his lower bowel had to be removed as they found that he'd been born with a defect in it. The surgery itself went well, but his PCV dropped rapidly and he bled heavily from the rectum the next morning, resulting in an emergency transfer to a specialty hospital for firther treatment. After spending nearly a week in the hospital, renamed "Maus" as "Lucky" wasn't the most fitting of names, he was deemed well enough to return home, wearing a cone and with a staples incision all the way down his abdomen. Unfortunately for Maus, the skin healed in such a way that the staples were digging into the skin, causing an infection. Poor Maus had to once again be brought to the vet hospital to be reopened and restapled! It was never determined exactly what caused the blockage, but it is thought that due to the odd structure of his intestinal tract, dead worms left over from his deworming treatment had backed up and caused the problem. It didn't take too long for Maus to completely heal, and he was fine for awhile until a few weeks before his second birthday. In the weeks leading up to that event, Maus had been having problems defecating in the litterbox due to constipation that had required him to undergo two enemas. The weekend of August 4th, I heard him crying loudly early in the morning and licking his privates. Having flashbacks of the first time he'd been making that noise, Maus was again brought back to the hospital, and this time was determined to have a urinary blockage. The vet sedated him and passed a urinary catheter, and Maus spent a week in the hospital recovering from this ordeal. Now diagnosed with Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD), Maus is doing well, though needs to remain on a special diet to try and prevent another obstruction from occuring. Though he's had his share of problems, Maus has remained an extremely affectionate cat and the most loving animal I have known.
    edited 6 June, 2011
    Bless you for taking them in, and all that take needy kittys in for that matter, love you all xxx
    edited 6 June, 2011
    :-h Hi Maus !! How are you? Thank you for the story, LOVED it. Your such a good momma Im sending a prezzie to your page :xo: And I sent a prezzie over to your momma Chloe's page also. Bless her and rest in peace.|/a/|
    edited 13 June, 2011
    :^:
    edited 15 June, 2011
    Come on kitties we need sum more stories Ima gonna take a nap if you dont wake me up.:^:
  • ALLEYCATANGELALLEYCATANGEL Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
    edited 22 June, 2011
    Hi I am Tiny Tot and this is our story. My fur mom was a stray cat abandoned by her family and pregnant with us she survived in a colony of feral kitties, my human mom found out we had been born and told the lady taking care of my the colony she wanted to catch us all and get us healthy so we could have out own forever homes. I was the first kitty she caught cause I couldn't see my eyes were infected and I had an upper respitory infection so I didn't run from her and I was not with my furmom that day I was all alone (like no one wanted me cause I was so sick. My name's tiny but I am just about the biggest kitty in my family Little boy my adopted older brother is still a little larger than me but not much. I am over 2 years old now and the doc. says I am healthy when I was 6 weeks old they all were thinking I was not going to make it I should have weighed at least 2 lbs and I weighed less than 1 lb and I didn't wanna eat any more. Mom is so good and made me eat and drink with a srinage. She loved us, fed us, and tamed us then she prayed over us all that we would have loving kitty cat homes, only my brother wiley was adopted out we all stayed here in mom's house with the two kitties she already had BooBoo and little boy so there are five of us since alley died but mom and dad have a big two story house with kitty trees and houses lots of toys and hidey places. mom wishes she could save all the kitties in need of help we are so glad she found us and kept us together. Mom helped the lady that had taken care of our fur mom get all the kitties in the "colony" fixed and returned to the "colony" so they won't have more kittens that need homes kinda sad my fur mom had to go back there after she got her shots and was fixed but my human mom already had two kitties and there were five of us kittens needing homes. Our human mom checks on Ivey (fur mom) often and she is so hungry and in need of a home since the caregiver lost her job and had to leave her home and the colony. Moma Ivey is the only "tame" kitty there. If mom could find her a forever home she is going to take her from the colony life. Thanks for taking time to read my long story.
    edited 22 June, 2011
    Look at you now Tiny !! how cute, and what beautifur blue eyes you have.. Great story.. Bless your momma (both of them) :f
  • Heather ProvencalHeather Provencal Palm BayMember Posts: 553
    edited 1 July, 2011
    In honor of Amber's "Gotcha Day" yesterday...here's her story that almost wasn't! March 2009 we had a devistating house fire that destroyed everything we had...and unfortunately it ended up taking the life of my darling Blazer Baby (who was my 15 year old baby) 3 days later. Our other cat, Tootsie, survived and escaped, and with God's help, we found her 3 days after Blazer crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Fast forward 3 months to June 30, 2009, my DH had jury duty, and was released. We talked about checking out a local shelter to "just look" and start thinking about adopting a new lovey. When we got there, my heart was still aching for Blazer, and I didn't think I could adopt anyone. Then there was Amber, little kitten Amber in a cage on the ground, sticking her paw out to me. I just HAD to hold her. As soon as I picked her up, she purred and nuzzled into me. THAT WAS IT!! I knew Blazer had picked her out for us. As it turned out, the staff didn't know until we inquired about her that she had a URI, and if we hadn't adopted her, they would have put her down, because of the cost involved in treating a young kitten with an infection. As you can see from her kitten pictures, she was a spitfire from the first moment! She never hid when we brought her home, she wanted to play and run around (while sneezing little kitty snots all over the closed off bedroom)! Unfortunately, she only knew Tootsie for a couple of weeks, before Tootsie suddenly died from liver failure, but they had fun together in their short time together, and Amber is even a bigger love bug as an adult than she was as a kitten!
    edited 1 July, 2011
    Hi Amber, that was a bit of a tear jerker for me..:(( - you are adorable !! Look for a prezzie on your page. |/h/|
    edited 2 July, 2011
    God bless you for saving Amber she is adorable =;=;=;=;
  • Annette GastelumAnnette Gastelum Anaheim HillsMember Posts: 1,835
    edited 12 July, 2011
    Mollie was rescued from th pound.. The nice ladies from Poochie momma rescue went to save her.. She didn't belong there. Mollie was horribly matted, contracted ringworm and had fleas. The nice ladies at the rescue had her shaved, treated,fixed and microchipped. I saw Mollie on Pet Finder.. After putting in 10 different adoption requests we finally got lucky.. Each time we put in a request we were too late.. Someone else had been ahead of us.. This time someone else was ahead of us.. But this time everyone at the rescue agreed that we had a better home for the little girl.. The rescue group called her Ambrosia.. We renamed her Mollie.. She was scared and needed time to come out of her shell. She took a bath really well.. Loves to eat. is a wondeful nap partner..She gets along great with her big brother Leonidas.. She loves to play with her toys. She knows she is safe and where she belongs.. She was a perfect fit.. Her daddy took one look at her and melted.. she just looked so sad.. Mollie is doing great. She put on some much needed weight.. She is a perfect little girl.. Within 2 weeks Mollie knew she was safe and home. She has a snaggletooth. Her little tonge sticks out alittle.. But that just adds to her cuteness!! We can't image why she ended up at the pound in that condition.. But now she will never have to worry about that.. She is eternally grateful!!! We Love our little Mollie.. Now we have our little boy and a little girl!
    edited 13 July, 2011
    My life is truely great!!! It was of to a rocky start, but everything turns out ok!! I spent the first 5 years of my life spoiled then my owners got a doggie.. Spike was ok and we got along well. But then came Percious. And then I never really set foot on the ground. I lived in constant fear. And then it happened when I just turned 10. My owners were moving to a new place with a doggie door and I was already declawed!!! My owners deceided that the doggie door would be great for their dogs but not me. Something bad would happen to me. so my owners found me a new loving home!! I was really scared at first.. I didn't come out for almost a week.. My new owner was very worried about me so she took me to bed with her and I slept on her pillow and I cried all night as she pet me. She never stopped. I slept on her pillow everynight after that!! I even had a boy named Branden who loved me too.I knew I was home. But 3 years later, mommy left and couldn't care for me.. So she had to leave me. I was still in my house it was never the same. I had my boy Branden to look after me but he couldn't be there everyday. I missed mommy. I was not the same kitty. I was also went potty in places I shouldn't have. I had to be punished so I had to live in a small room. Two long years later my owner and my boy Branden was going away on a trip and asked mommy if she could take care of me for 2 weeks!!! My mommy lived in a new home. I was so happy to see her. I told her everything. And everything she didn't understand my boy Branden was happy to fill in the blanks. She found out that I had been neglected. My ears were infected and I was not fond of strangers. There was two new strangers at mommy's house and I was afraid. They watched me eat, followed me where ever I went. It was really creepy..This 11 year old girl named Ashley instisted on picking me up all the time. She said she loved me. I thought ( you don't even know me.) But Momma took me to her room every night and it only took me me one day to find her pillow where we slept every night. The big man next to her always tried to pet me but I didn't want to be hurt by another man. He might send me to a small room. He was nice to me but I was still afraid. He told mommy to take me to the doctor right away to have my ears looked at. My ears hurt me so much that I couldn't eat very much. But the doctors cleaned my ears and my teeth and fixed me all up. Mommy has to clean my ears everyday. But she says it's for my own good. Mommy asked my owner if she could just keep me. My other owner was happy to let me go. I was happy to be with mommy. The big man was really nice to me and told me he used to have kitties. So I told him my story. He said I was special. He is now my daddy!! They take such good care of me. He even makes a comfy spot on the bed just for me. We have moved once since then. But I was not left behind. I am a part of the family now. I no longer run from Ashley. I never worry about anything anymore. I even get to go outside now. My Daddy takes me out and watches over me in the backyard. We only stay out a little while but I love it.. But for the first time in my life am not afraid of what tomorrow may bring.
    edited 13 July, 2011
    I just lost my beautiful Boo Boo kitty. I was looking on the internet to rescue a kitty. I found one not far away from my house. Leonidas had eyes just like Boo Boo. I had to have him. My son Branden came with me . That's a picture of Branden and Leonidas the moment we picked him up. My other half was furious when I picked him up and brought him home. He didn't even want to look at the new kitty. He said it was him or the Cat!! I went down stairs to make dinner. I didn't know what to do. My husband came down stairs and watched me make dinner. He tried to ignor Leonidas who was watching him from 10 feet away. Curiosity got the best of Chris when he turned to look at our beautiful kitty. Chris got down on his knees and Leonidas ran right over to greet him. It was over. Leonidas was staying forever. It took him 24 hours to get settled in. By the next day he was sleeping in our bed. There is a nice picture of Leonidas and Daddy Sleeping in the next day. He's daddy's boy!!! Leonidas is now our personal greeter when you come to our door. He will make sure you love him before you leave our house. Our kids adore him..
    edited 15 July, 2011
    Thank you MOllie, In Memory of Boo Boo And Leonidas for your stories you all have prezzies on your page. Group Hug time |:|
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 3 August, 2011
    I'm surprised I didn't see this earlier. I have an interesting (I think, anyway) arrival story. I was living with a little old lady in little town in Minnesota. I had a brother too, an orangie named Milo, but he went to the bridge and I had my Mommy Millie all to myself. But Mommy Millie was getting very old and when she broke her hip, her sons thought that it was time for her to move to the city, with one son and his family. He already had three cats and couldn't (or didn't want to) take in another. Plus, I was almost 12, in cat years I was almost as old as Millie! I was also very shy. So they didn't know what to do. Millie's younger son wanted to ...shoot me, and he was just about to do it, but Millie had a friend who wanted to save me, and she called a shelter, who sent out a foster lady to rush over and get me ASAP! Phew! That was close! I stayed at her house for a weekend, but since there were so many cats and dogs there, I hung out under the bed so Linda (the foster lady) thought it would be almost hopeless finding me a home. On the other side, my Mistress (my present owner) already had a cat, Squeakers, but she was working a lot, and Squeakers got very lonely. Mistress used to be home all the time (and she is now, too) but all of a sudden she got a job and was gone during the day, and Squeakers would cry when Mistress left, she could hear her all the way down to the elevators! So Mistress was out to get another cat. She almost went to a shelter the week before she got me, but the lady that was supposed to pick her up and drive her, got a flat tire! Talk about fate! Auntie Jen is a good friend of Mistress and that Monday (May 7, 2007) she just happened to be sitting in a doctor's waiting room with Linda (my foster lady). Auntie Jen and Linda started to chat because Auntie Jen is visually impaired (along with Mistress) and she has a guide dog named Lyndi, and of course, Lyndi knows how to get people to talk! So after talking about Lyndi, Linda started talking to Jen about me, and Jen told Linda that Mistress was also looking for a cat. So they exchanged info and when Jen got home, she emailed Mistress Linda's phone number. When Mistress got home from work and got her emails, she was kind of in a "trance" when she read Jen's. She knew, without thinking it over, that this was the right thing to do, even if her Mom (who does NOT live with us) disapproved of her having more than one cat. So what? She doesn't live here! Mistress called, still in a "trance" but Linda wasn't home. She left her phone number and message, and about an hour and a half later, Linda called back. Since Mistress can't drive, Linda made a date to bring me over to the apartment after Linda ate dinner. When Mistress buzzed Linda and me into the building, she could hear me screaming my head off as soon as we got off the elevator! Linda took me out of my carrier and put me in Mistress' arms. I stayed there for about 30 seconds wihile they talked. Then I jumped down and ran to the back of the couch. We have a couch that rocks and reclines, so it's away from the wall, and Mistress was worried if I got under it., but I was okay. Linda made sure I was okay before she left, and I ran from behind the couch to under the bed in the bedroom in a flash! Mistress didn't see much more of me that day. She woke up at 3 A.M, so worried about me. Then later, she went to work and worried about me all day. After work, she left to take the bus to Petsmart to get me some supplies, and when she got home,s he was even more tired! She spent some time with Squeakers in the living room, and then, by 9:15, she was so wiped, she just wanted to lie down on the bed. Plus, she read that she should spend equal time with each cat, the old and the new. So she came into the bedroom, not knowing what to expect, and shut the door so Squeakers wouldn't scare me, even though she wasn't scary anyway. Mistress flopped on the bed. After a minute, I jumped up and after a minute of watching her and realizing she wasn't gonna shoot me, or hurt me, I started to knead her tummy. She melted like a pound of butter! That knead day was also on my 12th birthday. So we have Gotcha Day on May 7th, Birthday and knead day on the 8th and Catster Annifursary on the 9th! It took me the whole summer to get comfortable with the apartment and Mistress and Squeakers, I would even start fights with Squeakers by slapping her face! *sigh* now I really miss her. Mistress and I will always be very close though. I don't knead much anymore, but I do give cheekrubs! Sorry this is so long! It's hard to tell an arrival story in just a few lines, especially mine!;)
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 3 August, 2011
    I purromise mine won't be as long as Sandy's! Mommy moved into the apartment that she's living in now, and they said she could have pets, and she did want to get a kitty sooner or later, especially when she asked the building manager about what to do about the gang of pigeons on her deck and he just shrugged and said "Get a cat!" She moved in around the same time I was born, February 28, 2003. Then, on Auntie Jen's birthday, in June, she had a party. Auntie Jen had a friend who was a quadroplegic and needed Personal Care Attendants round the clock. Well one of them came to the party also, and was talking about her family cat having kittens at the end of February, and there were only two left. She wanted one, but NOT me! So Mommy decided to take me! My name was Brownie, and according to some, I was....ugly??? So one week later, June 29, the PCA brought me over. She didn't even bother getting out of the car, just handed me out thru the open window! Auntie Jen held me while we were going up in the elevator. Mommy looked at me with a disappointed look on her face, like "This is MY cat?" Jen put me down after they showed me where the litterbox and food/water dishes were. Jen left a minute later. I ran under the bed. Mommy sighed and sat down with a book. Twenty minutes later, she felt my paw on her shoulder! I snuck out, jumped on the back of the couch and crawled over to her! Ever since then, she knew she loved me! She decided that she didn't like Brownie as a name for me, and when I walked around the apartment, I squeaked, so she decided to name me Squeakers. She said she got it off of an episode of The Cosby Show, that's my Mommy, a true TV fan! Two months later, I had really gotten accustomed to my life, it didn't take me long. I then got spayed and declawed. Mommy told her Mommy about me. They were expecting an out-of-town relative, so she had to tell her secret of having a cat. When her Mom and aunt first saw me, they thought I was ugly too! They told each other "Well, now we know she (Mommy) can't see very well, so this cat must have an incredible personality for her to love it that much!" which I do! They found that out within minutes. In fact, Mom's mommy didn't wanna leave me! They were spending the weekend at Grandma's (Mommy's Mommy) house, and I convinced them to take me with, just for the night! For the next five years, everybody thought i was ugly at first glance, but then succumbed to my charms and playfulness. Almost everyone who's met me (even non-cat people) fell in love with me. Except for that one lady that came over once. She sat down and she was the only one not cooing at me, so I chose her lap. She shoved me off! How rude! :-/
    edited 5 August, 2011
    :-h Hi Sandy and Squeakers !! Thank you fur the pawsome stories of your arrival. Dont worry about them being lengthy, thats what a story is made up of..We enjoyed very much. So sorry about Squeakers passing, she was a very attractive kitty. :f kitty kissies and |:| hugs to you.
  • Mary DubuissonMary Dubuisson Member Posts: 296
    edited 10 August, 2011
    Momma took me in when I was just two and a half weeks old! I was with my brothers and sisters cuddled up next to mom when something scared her off. She never came back for us, and we started to get really hungry. This man found us and took us to Petsmart next door. It turns out they were building something called an Office Depot where we had been staying, and the loud noises scared mom off. The managers put us in a kennel in the grooming salon and tried to get us to eat, but the bottle was weird and we weren't used to it. Momma is a Pet Nutrition Specialist for Nutro, and was working a demo in Petsmart. When the manager told her about me, she made some phone calls to daddy, and he agreed to let me come home. When her shift was over, the manager handed me over and I wasn't sure what was going on. Momma was nice and warm though, and I didn't mind being in her apron pocket. After a short trip in a car we were home, and she put me in a box with a nice soft blanket and a stuffed cat. Her and daddy fed me every few hours for the next few weeks and decided that I would be a new addition to the family. I think I charmed daddy the most. He fell in love with me and laughed every time he fed me because my ears wiggled as I drank. Mommy and Daddy have been good to me, and the other cats have too, even though Jack and I sometimes fight. :)
    edited 16 August, 2011
    Awwwww that was adorable.. wish we could see your ears wiggle when you drank. Heres a kiss for you my kitty friend and a prezzie on your page.:f
  • Mary DubuissonMary Dubuisson Member Posts: 296
    edited 17 August, 2011
    Thank you very much! (^^