The Right Time

Beverly WoodinBeverly Woodin Member Posts: 16
edited 27 May, 2011 in Senior Cats
My cat Rémy is such a survivor. He just doesn\'t seem to want to let go. I do all I can to make him happy, but I can\'t tell if he is suffering in a major way. Yes he has arthritis, but jumps up to his places. He has CRF and is given regular fluids, his kidneys are stable. He is very frail, cranky, yet gentle and alert most of the time. I on the other hand have issues with \"the right time\".. grief is happening as an undercurrent of my life. My heart is breaking.

Comments

• Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 7 March, 2011
    This is Delyte. Your description of Remy sounds like me, and I am only 15.8. From her experience with cats who have CRF, she thinks that as long as you can move around, eat and enjoy it, and are alert, it's not time. Do you take anything for the arthritis? CRF is not painful--our male person had it and almost died from it, and although he felt very lethargic and sick, there was no pain, and he just slept much of the time. They said he might have gone to sleep and never woke up. Our person says that when the kitty stops eating, can't or won't drink water but hangs over it, looks miserable, and has the sad look in the eyes, then it is time, or past time. You will know it when you see it. Purrs to you and enjoy your senior years! :-h
  • Michele RohyansMichele Rohyans Member Posts: 231
    edited 7 March, 2011
    My heart goes out to you, however, I agree that as long as there is still quality to life then it is worth keeping your sweet one around. Before starting her Gabapentin I struggled daily with that very question (tears fell nightly, so I understand the sorrow you spoke of). Chiquitita was so fragile from her FHS and brain damage that I could not pet her without triggering a seizure. Her quality of life was slipping away, and one day she was sitting in her sunbeam in the kitchen, looked over her shoulder, and I really thought she was ready. I contacted the vet and was told we have one more option, lets give it a try before we do anything else... that option has given me my sweet girl back (yes, she still has bad days, but she has good days too) It sounds like your baby still has good days also. If you haven't already, read the post about swollen joints here in the Senior Forum, there are many really good arthritis treatment suggestions. Again, you have our hearts and our support and when the quality of life is no longer there, your little one will let you know and we will be here... I hope this helps, maybe just a little |:|
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 March, 2011
    I know what you mean. Many family members and friends think we should put Balty down. But I don\'t think he is ready, he has too much spark in his eyes and can strut around as if he still owns the place and king of the cats. He has one very annoying problem. He\'s lost the idea he needs to pee in a litter box and just pees or poos were he feels like it. One day when I thought he was getting a little too smelly I got out the kitty wipes to give him a clean. Luckily I was in the bathroom as I discovered he was peeing everywhere while I was trying to clean his coat. He even pees in his bed Grrrrr.... so he can stink a bit now. I\'m throwing out any big beds he gets his paws on as they are hard to clean. I go through Trade me (like e-bay and buy cheap beds for him). Some I wash but many I throw out, I\'ve just brought another one that I need to pick up today and another I hope to win in a few hours. One of them is a plastic container so that would be good in the house, It has two cushions with them so they should wash or soak well, the other will be good in the garage where he needs to go at night and while we are at work. Winters coming here and He\'s going to need something warmer. As far as arthritis goes....we give him monthly injections of pentarthron injections and they seem to be doing well for him it just helps lubricates the joints. But I understand your dilemma were others say you should put them down and you are not sure. You look into their eyes, they sparkle, they are saying they are fine and they are not ready yet. If you are in the states you can try that hip action treats from Zukes. Balty loved them and they worked well for him. I think Baltys problems are helping us because we are waiting for him to tell us when it is time for him to go. We are hoping it\'s peacefully in his sleep. I don\'t want him to watch us take his life away. Where I say his problems are helping us, if he was a purrfect kitty and not peeing all over the place it would be harder to say goodbye. I think now, he is getting so annoying that when he goes it will kind of be a little bit of a relief. Family off our back and we won\'t be embarrassed if people come around and he\'s peed everywhere as the house can stink like one big litter box. We\'ll probably have to replace some of the carpet.
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 7 March, 2011
    May Bast and all cats bless you good pawrents! I want to say something....my mommy loves us all, and has a special bond with Bella. She adores Bella, who has CRF, gets occasional fluids, gets prilosec morning and evening, and who drinks alot and does sleep alot but who also can still engage in smacky paw with us and who is very much her own cat. Your cat sounds happy and fiesty. He is enjoying life and being a cat, though he's obviously an elder. We get-us elders, get some cosaquin in our food in the morning. I notice it does help a great deal. I know your sadness, because you worry about saying 'goodbye'. But I can only say to you, as a cat, that you and your dear one will know. You will feel it, and sense it. I want to say you are good, caring pawrents, and I send many purrs your way. Natalie the Natcat
    edited 8 March, 2011
    This is Delyte. Has Baltster ever been checked for spinal problems? It is not that usual for old cats to lose control over their bowels and bladders without something being wrong. If he has disk problems,it can pinch the nerves controlling the rear end. Someone should do an x-ray or scan and see. There are some medications that would help or even surgery, although I know that seems frightening at his age. I don't think any cat would be happy about waking up in a wet bed or having accidents all over. There are diapers that you can adapt to cats--those cats with Manx spinal problems wear them. Although I can't imagine getting used to diapers after a lifetime without them. My person wanted me to wear a sweater in the winter, but I wasn't having any of that! ;)
    edited 8 March, 2011
    Thanks Delyte it\'s a very good point. Balty has had a very nasty spinal injury when he was 9 and we did have him x-ray a few years ago which showed the build up on the lower spine, which the Vet said was arthritis. So you may have a point there. He\'s due to go back to the vets on Friday for another check up. He\'s one very expensive cat at the moment. 4 weeks ago he started peeing blood so he went in for a number of tests. $$$$ He often has hard faeces which we give him Lactulose for, but this time it was e-coli. Which he has had to take Clavulox for a month. They think it might have been the faeces coming back up through his system. Friday vet visit is for more test to see if he\'s got rid of it. He also gets 6 monthly vet vets so the vet can see him, it\'s a legal thing so we can just pick up pentarthron injections for him.(saves us taking him in every month). He has a bigger medical cabinet than the humans. He even has Temgesic (for pain relief)in the fridge if he is having any painful spells. Sorry I hope you guys don\'t think I\'ve taken over your thread with my rants but I thought I\'d mention it so others with old cats might think we are not alone with these problems. We hopefully can learn off each other. Delyte, what drug do you think will help with Baltys peeing problem I\'d love to run it past the vet. They just say he is just old and losing his mind, which I can understand as the humans father is now in diapers now too. The human wanted to put diapers on Balty but you can\'t really touch his lower back so it might be a problem getting them to stay on.
  • Clare YatesClare Yates KentMember Posts: 322 ✭✭
    edited 8 March, 2011
    I don't want to hijack the post i just wanted to mention to Baltster that i had spinal spondylosis and i lost control of my bladder, so it could definitely be the spinal problem causing the incontinence. It was in my case. My mum got a plastic bed for me to sleep so it could be wiped clean and the cushions were washed, it was easier than washing a whole bed every time i had an accident.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 8 March, 2011
    My momma took care of her sister's cat Moufasa full time for 2 years and he had CRF. He was skinny and frail but was still very strong, still ate, drank, wanted lovin' all the time. It wasn't not until HE was ready to go that they made that decision and it happened fast. One day she came home and he couldn't even lift his head, he was staring into space, couldn't walk, etc. That's usually "the time". If he's not like that or anywhere near that yet, he's not ready and you shouldn't feel like you're making him suffer because that's not true. He'll let you know when he's ready to go and clearly he's got time left. So give him lots and lots of lovin' and enjoy every minute with him. Could be awhile, you never know. Mouffey stayed around for 2 years like that and was very happy. =;
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 8 March, 2011
    Meowma knows abou the sadness too. I still go in the box even though I did get untrained when I was impacted, but now I am on Lactulose and do better. But my recurring herpes problem flares more often now, and it makes me feel badand my eye gets all meesed up. Then Meowma has to put burny medicine that I hate in there. And last week I started limping for an unknown reason, so I had to go to the vet. They didn't find anything, and I'm not doing better, so I have to go back Friday. The kittens are cute and Meowma loves them, but neither one holds her hand with their paw, or adores being with her nearly as much as I do. Meowma hopes they might one day stare deeply into her eyes, lay down and start making air biscuits because they love her so much, like I do, but she knows I'll never be replaced.
    edited 9 March, 2011
    This is Delyte. If the nerves around his spine are being pinched, causing the lack of control, the only help for that is surgery. He may also be in considerable pain, if they are being pinched in certain ways--our human has that. If the vet can figure out from scans etc. where he is being pinched, they can operate and remove the pressure. They can do this pretty well for people, but we're not sure how often they do this for cats. The old-fashioned way was to put them to sleep when something like this happened, just like they wanted to do with me when I had a tumor. If he doesn't want you to touch his back, this could be painful and you might need a better pain medicine. We're not sure what medicines can help with the continued movement of the bowels and bladder. Keeping the stool softened will make it easier for it to come out, although worse to clean up. Poor kitty and poor you! We hope that waking up in a puddle or having accidents is not too depressing for him. Some cats are so involved with their personal cleanliness that accidents are upsetting to them. We are all purring for you!
  • edited 9 March, 2011
    We are Purring for poor Balty that must be so miserable for him, and very very painful both in body and mind. Many purrs and gentle hedbonks Balty (well, as gentle as us goofuses can get) |:|
    edited 9 March, 2011
    Thanks everyone, I don't want to steel the thread from Remy as his meowmy is having trouble knowing when. I just wanted Remy humans to know they are not alone it is a hard choice. We look into Balty's eyes and he looks fine you should see him strut around the place. He seems fine, the pentarthron injections really help with his movement and he only gets the temgesic once in a blue moon when we think he needs it. I think arthritis can be worse in certain weather conditions. He is been managed as best that we can for an old guy just like an old human, But I sure will ask the vet about the back and see if they can suggest a drug or treatment. I know he does have a build up on the spine from a previous x-ray and that was just done for an old age check up where they check everything (basic, bloods, x-rays etc). Thanks for the heads up on that one. I'll look into it, he has another appointment in a couple of days. Thank you all for the suggestions.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 9 March, 2011
    Just chiming in here, my oldest kitty is not a senior, but I think this is an excellent forum too. The spine issues can most def cause the peeing issues. My precious dog Casey lived to be 16, but he had the same issues, he would just...go whenever. It was upsetting because he never ever went in the house. At first we thought it was because he was developing dementia, but the vet said it was from spine/disk issues. We had to make the choice to let him go when his back legs couldn't hold him up anymore. I know kitties are different, but just thought I would add that I think it is a likely cause. Perhaps some type of anti-inflamatory might work if it is a nerve pinching or something. Best of luck, and I always say that an older pet just has more experience in love. purrs to you all!
  • Janet WestJanet West StroudMember Posts: 2,239
    edited 17 March, 2011
    Hi...!! Hallo.....!!! I just thought I might put my two pennyworth in here...it may help.... I have had four old cats put to sleep during my life so far...the first one (\'The Pussycat\')I did not realise was ill (I just thought she was old)until two days before I had her put to sleep......she was frightened, I was frightened, and the end was HORRIBLE for her and for me....... Then there was Lucy......she had been ill for most of her life with one thing or another and she died at 10 years old of kidney failure.....we grew together during the month that it took her to die.....and we both knew when it was time..... Then Mambo, who also died of kidney failure.....again, we grew together, looked into each other\'s eyes and KNEW when the time came..(actually it was quite wonderful.....I took her to the vets on the Wednesday, thinking the time had come.....but he said \'no, not yet\' and gave her an injection, which made her SO perky for one more day, and she came into the bathroom and stayed with me while I had a bath on the Thursday and I sang to her)but on the Friday I knew the time had come and I was at peace and, I believe, she was at peace too)...... And then the Grandad......I kept him TOO LONG.....he wanted to go on the Friday, I believe, but I kept him til the Monday......SO WRONG of me....... The way I see it is that one\'s love for a cat and their love for you makes you both into a sort-of \'them/you\' person......one person....and the time for them to go is a mixture of what they can cope with and want and what you can cope with and want....... It DOES all come together to a point....the point at which it is time for them to go.....but it is possible to ignore that and to keep them for longer than you should, because you cannot bear to let them go......BUT YOU WILL KNOW when it is time......whether you take notice of that knowledge or ignore it is up to you...... I DO HOPE this is a bit useful...... Jan
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 17 March, 2011
    that is so very true. I had that same feeling when I had to let my dog go. I knew it was time. Still awful, but more peace. Purrs to everyone with a sick kitty.
  • ALLEYCATANGELALLEYCATANGEL Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
    edited 20 March, 2011
    Oh booboo you are so special the bond you and your mom share is unique. I shared one smiliar to that with my mom. I loved to lay on her belly and chest looking deeep into her eyes and purr, she still misses that non of the other kitties there do it like I did maybe with time they will grow to love her with the dept which I loved her with. I also just wanted to add the same "you will know the time" mom ask that so many times of herself then I completely stopped eating seemed lost, cried out in the middle of the night, and then I could hardly walk the last day and 1/2 the dr told mom there was no more they could do for me. She begged me to eat but she she looked deep into my eyes she knew I had to say good bye. So sorry you are both dealing with this time period in life. I had almost 1 year with mom after they diagnosed me so some kitties live with CRF for a long time.
  • Tracey TaylorTracey Taylor CamborneMember Posts: 1,345
    edited 20 March, 2011
    Hi As other have said, you will know when they are ready to leave, they will let you know. My mom is a care asst for elderly and term ill cats and deals with CRF all the time and they are truly amazing how long they will continue to fight the condition. If they are eating, drinking and still have a good quality of life, they are not ready to leave. CRF can make cats feel like they have a hangover and feel sick which can put them off eating for a bit. Our cats at the sanctuary have shots with vit B to help appitite. What ever they want to eat, whenever, they get it. All the time that you have with your cat is precious and you have an amazing bond which makes you both able to read each other, be positive around them so they dont pick up on your feelings. As for arthritis, we use rosehip powder mixed in with their food, which seems to help, and also a homeopathic med which is a combination of rus tox, ruta garv and arnica.
    edited 11 May, 2011
    My limp is getting worse; it suddenly appeared a couple of months ago, and the vet was unable to find anything wrong other than arthritis aggravated by my grandmotherly figure. But now it's getting worse, so I'm about to get checked again in case they missed something; it's my left front leg so most of my weight goes on it. Meowma has cut my food back even more, but I'm in the same boat humans often end up in. I lay around more now, and pretty much only move when Meowma goes to another room and sits down. I don't even lead the way very often, but wait to make sure she's not coming back before I get up. I get treatment, but it doesn't help a lot. I just wanted to vent, because it makes Meowma sad. Shes says she is going to 'wait until you can't go up your cat steps to the bed or get in your computer chair".Then she says she hopes that's a long time. I wonder what all that means?
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 11 May, 2011
    So sorry about your limp BooBoo! Does your mommy give you anything for your arthritis? Sometimes supps like glucosamine work and sometimes they don\'t. As for your treatment, I\'ve heard that accupuncture helps with arthritis but I guess sometimes it doesn\'t. Purring that something helps and your leg feels better! Gosh, I don\'t know what your mommy means by waiting until you can\'t get up the steps to the bed. Hope whatever it is she\'s waiting for doesn\'t come for a long, long time! Please don\'t apologize for wanting to vent. My mommy and I often want to vent about the same thing. I\'m 15 too and battling CRF. Although I still *look good* mommy deals with me having issues with food and having days where I don\'t eat much of anything. She watches me losing weight and looking frailer. Until recently, I was perky and peppy and full of energy but nowadays I\'m subdued and sleep a lot. She worries about me all the time and wishes there was something, somewhere, that could *fix* my illness and make it go away. She feels very sad about it all the time because she knows *my time* could be nearer than she wants or expects. Purrs! |:|
    edited 12 May, 2011
    I've had glucosamine, I'm afraid it didn't seem to do anything for me. Still, as long as I'm sitting still, I love to be petted, loved, and baby talked, and I have plenty of big purrs left. I'm still able to get to my litter box just fine, even though Uncle Arthur has me almost standing up when I P. Meowma just hateds seeing me get old and feels sort of bad thinking about it. She got the two young kitties because she knows I am so very old (why that means get other kitties, I have no idea) but I'm still her boobie wooblie big baby kitty and I know it. Maybe Dr B can find something to make me feel young again.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 13 May, 2011
    Oh Remy, I know how it is. I had to put my Hanna down a little over a year ago. I put it off as long as I could. I was devistated! I really didn't have time for her sickness to actually "sink in". She was diagnosed with a UTI and then three weeks later, she died of a brain tumor. I never in my life thought that someone, or any living creature could be in perfect health and die that fast. I shouldn't say die, she didn't go on her own. I had to put her to sleep, which deep down makes me feel like a murderer. Hannas Story (shortened) Week one: diagnosed with a UTI, was prescribed Zeniquin Week two: UTI cleared, left eye dilated. Was told to bring her to an opthamologist. Diagnosed with bilateral mild glaucoma, prescribed drops. Cause of the glaucoma: ZENIQUIN Week three: both eyes squinting constantly. Can't find her food. Very wobbly when she walked. Tongue sticking out constantly and drooling EVERYWHERE! Brought her to her vet 3 times over that week and was told "she is fine" On Sunday, I felt as if she was gasping for breath. Then I knew I had to do something. Brought her to the ER vet, and she was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Had to put her to sleep. During those 3 weeks, all I did was cry. I cried at home, I cried at work, people looked at me like I was mourning a parent or something. I don't have children of my own, Hanna was my baby. I felt as if no one understood. Want to know how I made my decision to end her suffering? Well I just had that gut feeling that when I brought her to the ER I would be leaving without her. I knew what I had to do, but I needed to hear from a professional I was doing the right thing. He said they could operate, but there is no quarantee that she would make it. Then I asked if she was in pain, he said that her eyes probably burn from the drops, she was wobbly because the tumor was impacting her balance, and she hardly had any control of her tongue. I then asked him what he would do. He said it was my decision. I didn't want to hear that. I said if she was his cat, what would you do? He then said, I would end her suffering. So I did. And you know what, now that I think of it, I don't regret it. I was being selfish, I didn't want her to leave me. It wasn't about me, it was about her. What was best for Hanna. After seeing how she was living, I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore. I don't think there is "The Right Time" if we all care about our cats deeply then our 'gut instinct' should tell us. I listened to mine. I just wish I knew about this site when I was going through all of that with Hanna, I could of definiately used the support and someone to talk to.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 13 May, 2011
    Hanna's person: If you would like to talk about Hanna's loss, please free to either start a Forum Topic or paw me me. I had to put down my cat Creme Puff at age 19. She was loosing control of her bowels and bladder, and her back legs kept giving away and when she fell, she cried in pain. You did everything you could for Hanna, unfortunately, your vet was not doing everthing he/she should have, or checked Hanna out throughly. As the saying goes, "hindsight is always 20/20". You did everthing you could for Hanna, and thank the Great Cat the ER vet was able to diagnose her problem. No matter how many or few years we may be owned by a cat we grieve at their leaving us. I also do not have human children, so my cats are my babies. I am using on of my "Katrina Kitties" for this post. I lost four cats when Hurricane Katrina put 12 feet of water into my home. Did not know I was leaving the house never to return, I had my 83 year old stepmother to care for, and she was in a wheelchair. So, I could write the book on "What I Should Have Done". One thing that made me feel better, I found out that the ASPCA put up a memorial in one of the New Orleans are cemetaries to all the pets lost in Hurricane Katrina. Estimates range form 550,000 - 600,000 cats, dogs, birds, fish, hampsters, etc., etc. - so many others grived as I did. Hugs and Soft Paw Pats From The New Orleans Kitties and Meowmy Faye
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 May, 2011
    BooBoo, has the vet said whether there's a pain med that might help you? I never needed it for arthritis -- the Cosequin (glucosamine) helped me enough -- but the vet talked to my parents about some possibilities for me. That was several years ago, though, so I don't know what's available or best now. Do you have a heated bed, BooBoo? They make a tremendous difference in comfort, especially with arthritis. It feels so good sleeping on a heated bed -- a cat heated bed or heating pad, not a human one. Some will disagree with this -- and the directions will say not to do it -- but I had heated beds that were plugged in 24/7/365, whether anyone was home with me or not. The cats who now live at my house still have heated beds on all the time, too. Beepers wanted his on all summer long last year and he's only 12. Mom checks often to make sure the plastic that covers the heating element isn't blistered or cracked. She's never had a problem with any of them. There's a thread in Olde Furts about beds and heated beds if you want to know what some of the Olde Furts like. If you want me to bump the thread so you can find it easily, just pmail me.
  • Rayhne SinclairRayhne Sinclair MadisonMember Posts: 24
    edited 17 May, 2011
    I'm having a heck of a time with my MsB. She's 18 1/2 and seems healthy and happy but over the past few months she's gone from eating a spoonful of wet food a night to eating almost a pouch and a half plus she's taken to peeing on the floor. I clean up the area and block it off and she pees in a new area. I'm taking her to the vet's Friday (I don't drive and can't always get a ride or she would have gone to the vet's weeks ago). Plus she wanders around screaming all hours for hours. No idea why. I hate to put her to sleep but I'm moving to a brand new place and I can't have her peeing on the floor and walls. There's also the fact that I have two cats, though I'm pretty sure it's MsB who is doing the peeing.
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 May, 2011
    The increase in her appetite and howling are often symptoms of hyperthyroidism, which can be determined easily with a blood test and can be treated with medication. Be sure to tell the vet all the things she\'s doing which aren\'t normal for her. Purrrrrs to MsB.
  • Rayhne SinclairRayhne Sinclair MadisonMember Posts: 24
    edited 20 May, 2011
    Second lease on life! No, it isn't a thyroid problem, much to the vet's surprise but she does have kidney problems. The vet made some suggestions and we are working on them.
  • Vicky CarsonVicky Carson QuincyMember Posts: 3
    edited 22 May, 2011
    I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with Remy's condition. Everything I have read from others about "the right time" says we will know, because they will give us a sign that they are done - done with the needles, done with feeling badly, etc etc. I have not yet been there myself, but I have 2 seniors with chronic conditions - both with renal insufficiency & arthritis, one with diabetes and the other with hyperthyroidism, so I know am facing the same thing sooner than later. I understand what you're going through. It's hard to see them slow down. I wonder if they are at least happy and the signs I use to tell that include their responsiveness to me - do they greet me, watch what I'm doing when I'm in the room, enjoy sitting with me. If the answers are yes to things like that, they are not "ready." Getting ourselves ready is the hardest. I recommend reading the quality of life scale to help you determine how well Remy is doing. http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-practice-news-columns/bond-beyond/quality-of-life-scale.aspx It may help you to make the decision when the time comes. Bless you for helping him with his CRF!
    edited 27 May, 2011
    Thanks, Scooter. I like the mats meowma makes that reflect my body heat back to me, but don't like beds with sides much. I've got a mat in every room. And I stay on them most of the time, except when I'm eating or following Meowma if she says in another room too long. (My mats are all next to the places Meowma sits or sleeps). The xray last week shows my arthritis is really awful in my front legs :( and nothing seems to help much. The vet gave me some pain meds but it doesn't help a whole bunch. plus I hate getting it squirted in my mouth every day, it tastes horrible and even though I am otherwise perfect I hate being forced to take medicine and of course it hurts when I'm restrained. It also hurts when I try to poop, due to arthritis in my hips, and Meowma had to give me an enema last week. now I'm about to have another. I get medicine but Meowma and the vet think I also try not to poop because getting in that position hurts me so. I'm on an even stricter diet now, but don't seem to be losing any; Meowma thinks it might be the only thing that would make me feel better. I wonder why she gets sad when I crawl up the bed to sniuggle her? (Meowma says: I really hate seeing poor BooBoo limping and hobbling so, and on a soft surface like the bed or sofa it's worse. I can see that it's very painful for her to walk up the bed to where my head is :( )