Poppy a ten year old kitty

Nila AtkinsNila Atkins Member Posts: 46
edited 22 March, 2011 in Senior Cats
My kitty poppy is alost ten years old. Just recently she started defacating in a place next to my dining room window. I have tried everything keeping her box cleaned daily, and trying to catch her before she does her business. I have also tried natures miracle to stop her from going there. We also did have a previous cat who marked that place as well. I have shampooed and anything that I could think of to take care of the problem,but she still goes there. What can I do to make her stop using this instead of her litter box. thanks nyzki:^:

Comments

• Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 21 March, 2011
    Does she urinate in the box? If not, it could be that she's having trouble getting into the box - stiff joints come with age. If she's urinating in the box, try adding a second box. My vet told me (and I've found it basically true) that cats will urinate in one box and defecate in the other. Have you changed the litter recently? Maybe she doesn't like the new one. Of course, a vet check is also in order, just to be certain there's no medical cause. Good luck!
  • Nila AtkinsNila Atkins Member Posts: 46
    edited 21 March, 2011
    Poppy does urinate in her box. I tend to agree that it may be her joints. I am going to get another box, and see if that resolves the problem. Thanks nyzki|/h/|
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 21 March, 2011
    I was going to suggest that also, a box that has lower sides in order to be able to enter and exit more easily.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 22 March, 2011
    This is Delyte. Our male person made me a special box out of a big Rubbermaid tub, which has a very high side so I can back up against it and pee down [I was peeing over the edge of a regular pan] but he cut a lower edge out of the other side so it is easy for me to get in and out. I can even back in if I want to. All of the other cats love it, too, so it needs to be cleaned constantly. Purrs and I hope they can help with your arthritis, too, if that is what it turns out to be. A blight on old age for people and cats!