Opinion on the Cat Genie

Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
edited 24 April, 2011 in Plus Friendly
Hey guys I need first hand experience. Momma cleans our little box every day but it still always stinks. Its embarassing and she doesnt want to invite company over. She\'s been looking into the \"self cleaning self washing litter box\" called the Cat Genie. But before she makes the investment she\'d love some first hand experience. Thanks in advance guys!! :D :-h

Comments

• Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 13 April, 2011
    Here are some reviews for you to check through: Cat Genie Reviews Personally I would not use Cat Genie because I think it is important to see what kitty is leaving in the box~ the first signs of health troubles can show up there ;)
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 13 April, 2011
    I second that !! ::o
  • Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
    edited 13 April, 2011
    Ok well Ive spent most of today looking at automatic cat litter box reviews. I agree with you. And I found the PetSafe Simply Clean seems to have GREAT reviews and Id still get to check on the waste to make sure they are healthy. AND its less than $100 where as the cat genie was closer to $400 and seemed to have a lot of design flaws. I ordered mine I cant wait to get it. Yay!! Thanks for your suggestions guys! :D :-h
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 14 April, 2011
    I don't mind scooping daily, but after someone telling me to I've read the CG reviews, and the 2 and one star ratings are entertaining if you are in a juvenile frame of mind. A typical example; ****************** An expensive way to smell poo By N A "Cat Lover"This review is from: CatGenie-Self Washing, Self Flushing Cat Box (Misc.) Cat Genie takes the small unpleasantness of daily cleaning the litter and it saves it up and releases that unpleasantness as one big unscheduled, unpleasant inconvenience every week or two. Advanced monitors will ensure that the device failure will occur during the workday, as you prepare for your important meeting with your prospective client. Nothing like cleaning out wet cat poo in your nicest suit. Or, you may be pleasantly awoken in the middle of the night by the repeating three beeps of "there's poo and hair in the hopper." You will become more familiar with your cat's feces every day as the cat genie gently fills your home with the aroma of baking excrement. Plus, you get to pay over $300 for technology that was "designed" and built for less than $2. The "processor" unit was designed in 1967 and allows all the functionality of the most advanced microchip devices of its era. It has both on and off modes. (Note: off mode available only while unplugged.) Actually, the real reason for the high cost of the device is to cover the costs of all the customer support that they must provide and to cover the costs of all of the returned units. The question is not IF, but WHEN you will find yourself hunched over your cat's feces floating in a pool of fetid water, picking small plastic pellets out of the opaque, pungent water with your fingers so that you can get the device put back together. And your cats will thank you by depositing their love bundles beside the machine that's half filled with water and beeping away forlornly if you happen to be away when it fails. We have three cats, they had no trouble adjusting to the machine over about a week. The small plastic pellets getting everywhere in the house is not really any big deal. Roomba takes care of most of them well. We've now had the machine for three months. We received a replacement base last week for a leaky drain hose. We've called their customer service line enough times that we now know the "secret" diagnostic techniques of their experts. We don't know if we're going to keep it or return it. If we keep it, we're definitely going to install an exhaust fan in the laundry room, and set it to a timer to go when the unit is on. For some reason there are little bits of poo that fall between the tines of the hopper, and they get slow baked every time the unit dries itself. The stench is really outstanding. It's hard to describe. I'm a doctor, and I've rarely ever smelled anything so bad. My recommendation is to wait for the next generation cat sanitation solution. That device will need to be a complete redesign to solve the myriad of problems with this unfortunate device. To say something positive, the customer support line is manned by kind, well-meaning kids who really do feel badly that you're having a hard time with your mechanical poo soup maker. If you do buy this device, get some thick rubber gloves and a couple of towels that you won't use for anything else.
    edited 14 April, 2011
    Best of luck with your new box Emma~ update us on how you like it! MOL BooBoo~ that review was included in our link too, so funny :))
    edited 14 April, 2011
    I read that to BooBoo. LOL It seems like there were more negitave comments than positive. Where as the one I ordered just does the scooping for you and is MUCH more cost effictive than the CG or even the Littermaid which also had a lot of negitave feedback. I read nothing but 4 and 5 star reviews for this simple machine. NOW My only concern is a cover for it. It doesnt come with one Id LOVE some suggestion. I NEED to have the cover because otherwise my dogs will be munching on kitty roca all day long. We are currently using the covered litter box, like this one http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=covered+cat+litter+box&cp=12&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp1302819255467016&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7744886701359584930&sa=X&ei=7nOnTfPyCIXQsAOW8-35DA&sqi=2&ved=0CFQQ8gIwBA# Any ideas?
    edited 15 April, 2011
    I\'m not sure what you could use as a cover :-k We are very glad our dog does not do that, MOL!!
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 15 April, 2011
    Wow...mommy was laughing so hard at that review that she was crying too. Mommy says that those things sound more trouble than it's worth. Use unscented pure baking soda in the box...mommy uses sweeat scoop and finds that of all of them, it's one of the only litters that do make a difference in a multicat household. Not perfect but it does help. Good luck with the new automatic box.
  • Hannah RoseHannah Rose ChicagoMember Posts: 167
    edited 16 April, 2011
    the round part looks like an ufo ship. they except to cats go that???
    edited 24 April, 2011
    I sure hope so. I bought mine off eBay and I havent gotten it yet :P I think if it doesnt arrive SOON I'll have to file a complaint