Feeling Sick

Seanna TuckerSeanna Tucker Dallas and St. LouisMember Posts: 4
edited 25 June, 2011 in Senior Cats
Hi! I'm new here and wasn't sure to go for more information. My mommy isn't with me right now (she's in college), so it's been hard for her to figure out how to help me. Grandma tries to help as much as she can, but I think Mommy could help just by being here. ;-; I'm 10 now, and Grandma and Mommy have noticed I've lost a lot of weight. At first, they attributed it to depression since Mom was gone for a long period of time for the first time since I was adopted. But now, I throw up all the time and have diarrhea and I won't eat. Grandma noticed yesterday I couldn't chew, so she bought some pate to try and help. I ate it right up! But then I got nauseous and threw it all up. Now I won't eat anything. They bought some kitty vitamins and that seemed to help for a little bit. I'm more lively when Mommy is home, I feel better when she's around, but I still won't eat and I still have bad diarrhea. I went to a doctor, and all he said was that I was old! I KNEW that! But I think it's something else and Mommy and Grandma are getting really worried. Can anybody help me?

Comments

• debbie oravetzdebbie oravetz OspreyMember Posts: 101
    edited 19 June, 2011
    Hi Bootsie and welcome to Catster! I would see if your grandma can take you to another vet for a second opinion. 10 yrs old isn\'t THAT old for us kitties! Vomiting and diarreha is not good, you could become dehydrated are you drinking enough water? My mommy sometimes mixes low or no sodium chicken broth with water to get me to drink more. Sometimes a little canned pumpkin (not pie mix) helps with the diarrhea (I think it\'s yummy too!). I know you miss your mommy..maybe next time she\'s home she can wear an old t-shirt for a day (so it smells like her)and leave it for you to sleep on. I really do think you need to go back to the doctor though. I hope you feel better real soon!
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 19 June, 2011
    Sigh, I agree. I really hate when a vet says "it's because they're old". DUH! Well cats get conditions that come with old age but as Kona said, 10 is not considered old anymore and so many of those conditions can be treated! Please get a second opinion. Is there an all cat clinic in your grandma's area?
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 19 June, 2011
    You should definitely go to a different vet for a second opinion. Have you had your senior blood work done? There are a lot of things that could cause a kitty to lose weight or throw up or have diarrhea, so blood work is a good place to start in ruling out physical problems. My Mom and Dad got blood work done on me when I was 10 and it showed some problems they were able to address early on. Now I'm 13 and still a happy relatively healthy guy.
  • Greg StawinogaGreg Stawinoga So. HollandMember Posts: 1,000
    edited 19 June, 2011
    Bootsie, we all agree, go get a second opinion asap, let a new vet take a look at you. we hope you feel better.
  • Seanna TuckerSeanna Tucker Dallas and St. LouisMember Posts: 4
    edited 20 June, 2011
    Thank you all. I will definitely try the pumpkin. Grandma is broke, and the last time someone wanted to do blood work, they said it'd cost over $500, so we're trying to save or find a cheaper alternative here in Dallas. I did have pureed raw salmon last night! It was yummy! I hope I keep it down. ^_^
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 21 June, 2011
    If you look at the beginning of the get well purr section there's a list of organizations that help with financial aid and sometimes your local aspca will help as well! It's worth a try.
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 21 June, 2011
    Our mommy noticed the SPCA in Dalls has a clinic. She got the link, here: http://www.spca.org/page.aspx?pid=292 Sometimes a non profit shelter has a low cost clinic, it's aways good to check out. We suggest also a second opinion. You have symptoms that could be many things, including what I found out I have...pancretitis, or even kidney failure, which is treatable if gotten too now. 10 is not old at all. Many of us are 10 and over and live for many many years! purrs to you....we are purring for you to get better.
    edited 22 June, 2011
    Hello all! I have been doing much better! The pumpkin has been helping so much! And I hate a whole jar and a half of baby food today, AND kept it down! Grandma is going to lower the pumpkin dosage, because I have been -ahem- backed up, but I've been more awake too. Purrs to you all for the help! And Mommy will tell Grandma about the SPCA Clinic. ^_^
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 22 June, 2011
    Hi Bootsie! :-h We are glad you are feeling better! We live in Hurst, TX and we go to a cat-only vet in Euless called Hartland Cat Hospital. It is probably too far away for you though. Good luck!|:|
  • debbie oravetzdebbie oravetz OspreyMember Posts: 101
    edited 22 June, 2011
    YAY Bootsie! So glad to hear you\'re feeling better! %:D%
    edited 25 June, 2011
    Mommy's thinking of helping me start a diary. I'm feeling so much better! Grandma bought me some Science Diet and I've been eating 2-3 cans a day! She's so excited! I haven't thrown up for a week AND I went to the bathroom and my stool wasn't runny anymore! -Ahem- Sorry for my impoliteness. I was just incredibly excited to have a normal soft stool again! (Soft because all my food is pureed now). They think it's cuz I haven't been gettin enough vitamins, and now I am! Grandma says the cans are a little expensive, but they're worth it. I walked around the entire house today, instead of sleeping all day like I have been! I even jumped on the counters...it was funny! Grandma usually gets mad when I do stuff like that, but now she smiles because I haven't done it in so long! Wonder how long I can do that....:-k