Diet cat food?

Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
edited 7 October, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
My sister has some chubby kitties and since I feed raw, I told her I'd ask about what she can feed, the vet of course recommended either Purina OM or Royal Canin Calorie Control. She is open to feeding just canned or a mixture of both canned/dry. Right now they are eating canned with about 1 Tablespoon of dry (kirkland signature) twice a day. She's got 1 kitty who is about 13.7# who should be about 10# and another who is 7# should be about 5# What is a good canned and/or dry food to help with weight loss? She's already restricted their food but in 2 weeks hasn't seen a loss in either one.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 3 October, 2011
    Grain free, high protein, low carbs is the answer. Not restricting food. If they eat something like Nature's Variety, Wellness, Weruva, any one of the better canned foods, they'll having so much sugar in this diet from the carbs, have more energy, more muscle mass and less fat. Just like us humans but even more so as cats are obligate carnivores. Make sense? :D
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 4 October, 2011
    There are safe weight loss tips here: http://catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity =; Limiting calorie intake helps. The general rule of thumb is to feed about 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight. Canned foods will help, not dry food. I bet the Kirkland (Costco) brand of dry food contains a bunch of icky grains and filler ingredients :-/ To get calorie content of canned foods, see the food charts There's a dry food chart elsewhere on that same web site.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 4 October, 2011
    Yup, everyone here has the right idea. High protein/low carbs will help with weight, as will exercise. And two weeks is not a long time - you want them to lose weight slowly and carefully. Also, make sure you're counting calories for their *ideal* weight, not for the weight they are now.
    edited 4 October, 2011
    Adding that if you need to lose a lot of weight,say 10 pounds or more, then you need to slowly limit the calorie intake. Aim for a 1 pound weight loss first. When you achieve that and mantain the weight, aim for another 1 pound weight loss. A drastic reduction in calorie intake can result in fatty liver disease.
  • Marie LMarie L Member Posts: 94
    edited 5 October, 2011
    Instead of the Kirkland dry, perhaps she could try a tablespoon of Blue Wilderness Weight Control? It comes in a shiny gold bag and it doesn't have any grains. ~a~
    edited 5 October, 2011
    There's really nothing in weight control dry foods that helps :? They just have extra fiber to make a cat feel full. And the amount of carbs in dry food is insanely high :-O The Blue Buffalo Weight Control one has 48% carbs :-O Way way too much for a cat's body to handle. Dry foods are too calorie dense anyways. http://www.catinfo.org for info about proper cat nutrition :)
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 5 October, 2011
    The diet cat foods apparently also decrease the fat content, and then they have to increase the carbs (grains etc), and I've heard that some cats actually gain weight on these diets (or stay overweight). :-/
  • Anna DuchAnna Duch Member Posts: 170
    edited 7 October, 2011
    Think "Catkins" -- high protein, respectable amount of fat, low carbs. The cats are probably gaining weight off grain and veggie items in their diet. As the above posters said, just get them on a better food and the flab should go away. Tenny initially lost weigh living with me, but gained it back in muscle by switching her diet from dry food with grains to grain-free wet food .