Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

From free-feeding dry to canned wet meals!

ericka deciutiisericka deciutiis los angelesMember Posts: 193
edited 10 December, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
Hi everyone! After noticing recently that little Ben is getting a small belly going, I cannot put it off any longer. I must stop free feeding. I wanted to for so long, but with my Callie girl not interested in food and being so underweight...it was a struggle. But since she's gone to the Bridge, I have 2 big guys here that will only benefit from the switch. :) Ben is 2, and about 12 pounds. Kizmet is 11 years old, and close to 18 pounds. :-O It will be hard, cause they are big eaters, but I promise to be strong. My concern is how much to feed them, and the intervals. I'm gone from 8am to 7pm daily. I know they can go that long without food, but should they? I read about leaving frozen food out to thaw as the day goes on, but roaches have been sighted in the building, so I'm a little unsure about that. (I keep the dry food in the bedroom, and we've had no issues. But my guys are messy wet eaters, and I'm not feeding wet in my bedroom! Plus, it doesn't smell all that great!) anyway, until I can afford to buy one of those timed bowls, I have no idea how often they should be fed, and HOW MUCH! This is so confusing. Of course I don't want them to lose weight too quickly. I swear I had a printout of the caloric values of canned foods, but I can't find it! Maybe I was dreaming! My boys LOVE wet food, so I'm lucky there. But they are very attached to their dry food bowl. They camp next to it when they can see the bottom of the bowl. Also, Kizmet tends to eat more than Ben. Ben will just walk away and lose interest. Will that change eventually when hunger is a motivator? Or does anyone still have that issue with their kids? Any tips/tricks/guidance would be helpful!

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 12 November, 2011
    Are you feeding grain free food? If not, switch to a good quality protein, grain free wet food like Nature's Variety, Weruva, Merrick, Natural Balance, etc. grains are pure SUGAR and carbs and do nothing but make kitties gain unhealthy weight. I have a page on switching foods slowly as well: http://ibdkitties.net/switchingfoods.html. I hope this helps but I and other knowledgeable Catsters are here to help if you have anymore questions! good for you for wanting to nip this in the bud now! That's the best thing you could ever do for them. :D
  • ericka deciutiisericka deciutiis los angelesMember Posts: 193
    edited 12 November, 2011
    Yes, that site was one of the first places I went to, thank you! I am doing grain free. If I'm going to do it, I want to make sure I do it right! :)
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 12 November, 2011
    I think that's wonderful. Please let me know if you need anything or I can be of anymore help. :D
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 10 December, 2011
    I know this post is a bit older but I wanted to tell you how I went from free feeding dry to timed feeding wet. Misty will eat all of AnnaBelle's food if we let her. Shes a little piggy. Almost 11 pounds and 2 years old. Shes not "fat", shes very tall, long, lean...and heavy, The vet thinks she needs to be closer to 9.5 pounds. Anyways...I bought two carriers and feed them in the carriers 2x per day. Others in the house mistake thier "hello" greetings when tey get home for "OMG Im starving feed me feed me feed me!" and still feed them behind my back treats that I have no idea what is in them... but they at least feed them the treats in the carriers. Anyways both cats have benefited from this practice. I try to keep the feedings close to 12 hrs apart. Im not always successful. If I KNOW its going to be much more than 14 hrs between feedings I add some extra freeze dried meat treats on top of the wet food in the meal. This way they get a little 'extra' to keep them going. And I must say, they look pretty good. Both have lost a few ounces from their last check ups. (we do weigh ins every 6 months at the vets) So thats a good thing. Eating in the kennels is also cleaner - all the mess stays inside! If you have questions about what size/type kennels to get, or anythign like that I will be happy to help. Or you can try and message Bump, hes the expuurt on the subject and how I got started.