Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

are you a vegetarian or not?

jenniecarra andriesjenniecarra andries baton rougeMember Posts: 676
edited 21 May, 2005 in Food & Nutrition
im not a vegetarian

Comments

• Tracy HowellTracy Howell ScottsdaleMember Posts: 529
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Neither am I. What do vegetarian cats eat?
  • Ju-Lee SandhuJu-Lee Sandhu Kuala Lumpur,Member Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My brothers and I eat vegetarian food on occassion. Mummy is very picky about what food she feeds us, so generally we eat good holistic and organic cat food from Eagle Pack or Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. Maybe even Bill Jac. She would never feed us anything that's tested on animals, like that horrid Science Diet or Iams rubbish. Personally, I don't like the idea of other kitties being tortured for my meal. When we do get vegetarian food, we're fed Addiction. The biscuits are just as crunchy and tasty as normal cat food, so I really don't mind. Mummy says it's healthier and good for our coats. I'm quite vain and greedy, and I will eat anything, even vegetarian pasta and bread, so really it's quite alright. Try it! :)
  • Elizabeth DunnElizabeth Dunn San Antonio/ College StationMember Posts: 22
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Nope. Meowmie says cats are carnivores so we have to eat meat. Fine with me! We eat cat grass, of course, and we love to snitch food from Mom and Dad. Meowmie does feed us organic food 'cause we are against killin' of cuties like us just so some big company can save money makin' our food. I wish everyone's mom would feed good food.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our mommy is a vegetarian and once considered putting us on a non-meat-based diet. She did a lot of research and found that even though it is totally possible for cats to be vegetarian, it's really hard to make sure that we get all the right nutrients. So she finally decided it wasn't worth the risk to us. I personally think I could have been a great veggie, since I love beans, peas and tofu (which I seem to digest well, too, even though I have a sensitive stomach). My brother Arthur, though, is too picky of an eater. We can't even get him to TRY a little tofu. Wimp! ;-)
  • FLIP RainnieFLIP Rainnie Member Posts: 80
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mummy and daddy don't eat meat, so there's never any meat in the house, but I do eat chicken,mummy makes me my food,she cooks up chicken livers with fresh beans and carrots,and when she serves it to me she chops me up some fresh tomato, a drop or so of olive oil and a sprinkle of flax seed. I also like a little Papaya and Avacado from time to time, and when mummy has fish I get a little too!!
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh, no, no. I can't be a vegetarian, even though I do eat carrot with my turkey. Cats are (wait, let me look this word up) obligate carnivores (wow, that takes a long time to type with claws!). That means we have to have meat. Humans can make food choices because their insides can process a lot of different kinds of things, but we're different and really need meat for taurine and calcium and all of those things. I guess that vegetarian food once in awhile is okay, but meat should be the biggest part of our diet. We would make these choices if we didn't have good people taking care of us and had to survive in the wild.
  • Shelly RicheyShelly Richey DallasMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Are you guys nuts? cats don't eat vegetables! We eat meat...and only meat. To many carbs gave me diabetes. Please read about feline nutrition at felinediabetes.com!
  • Kimberly GuayKimberly Guay San RamonMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Nope, I'm with Cosmo -- cats are obligate carnivores. We can't make our necessary amino acids from non-animal protein sources like humans can. Please visit felinediabetes.com and read the nutritional info there. I was fed a well-regarded, expensive brand of dry food and ended up with diabetes. I now have to have daily insulin injections. My diabetes is under control now with medication and a very strict diet of high-protein/low-carb canned food, a commercial raw food and home-cooked chicken, beef or salmon. I also get crunchy snacks of dehydrated chicken, beef and salmon. Yum. I'm so much healthier now. I know I would not have developed diabetes if I had stayed away from the dry food. I'm trying to convince my brother Oskar to give up his dry food, too.
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mumu -- is it true? About Iams & Science Diet? Oh dear. Please inform as soon as you can!
  • jenniecarra andriesjenniecarra andries baton rougeMember Posts: 676
    edited 27 February, 2006
    i eat meow mix indoor cat formula because iams used to make me throw up. we just never used science diet though.
  • Sara Anne LeMoineSara Anne LeMoine Falls ChurchMember Posts: 36
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom said that only dogs are vegetarians! Bring on the meat
  • Sara Anne LeMoineSara Anne LeMoine Falls ChurchMember Posts: 36
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom said that only dogs are vegetarians! Bring on the meat
  • Jennifer McMillionJennifer McMillion BeckleyMember Posts: 230
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom's a veggie, dad's not. Mom's says its her decision to be veggie, and dad's not to be ... I myself choose to eat meat!!! Mom still cooks meat for dad (and for me!!!). That's not to say that I'm opposed to eating the occasional vegetable ... I LOVE lettuce!!!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Meat, meat, where's the meat! Inky and I only eat chicken and turkey flavour wet food (we don't like any other) and never eat human food - yuck, it's nasty!
  • kate brennankate brennan dirty southMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    both my parents are vegans..but we all eat regular kittie food..but they make sure to get the best brands for us..they had thougth about it, but after some research and the cost, they would go broke feeding all of us!!! like mumu was saying, iams and science diet are bad companys that test their foods on animals...sure it sounds good, get paid to eat, but alot of them are force fed fatty foods then put on the brands diet food to see how much weight they can loose and how fast..heres a link about iams.. http://www.iamscruelty.com/ some people dont like some of the activist groups that try and help us, mommy was in one for a long time and knows that alot of the horrible tales are true..and here where we live in nc, theres so many bad things going on..too many humans dont treat us nicely, or even care about us...3 of my sisters we dumped at a rest area on the highway...my grandma got them in the car and brought them here..ooh was she mad too!!! the lady did it right in front of her she said!!! but now they live here with us and have fun!!! hmm i seem to have gotten off the subject of what i eat...sorry...i just get so mad at humans sometimes! hiissssss
  • Zinnia SantosZinnia Santos Miami/Ft. LauderdaleMember Posts: 232
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Check out my canine fangs!! (actually I don't have a picture up) but you know you all have them. These are meant for tearing and shredding. Not for carrot and pease please. I said it before and repeating it again. Not a vegan. I eat my dry food but do get special treats like TUNA!!!!
  • Wendy WardWendy Ward TorontoMember Posts: 84
    edited 27 February, 2006
    No way! I need meat. My mom has been feeding me Newman's Own Organics - organic chicken, grains & veggies. The previous kitty my mom had (who she fed large co. namebrand foods to) always suffered from stomach ailments & vomiting. Mom started researching petfoods and discovered that most major manufacturers put TOO much corn - which increases insulin levels, and causes G.I. upset in sensitive cats - in all forms into petfoods. Read the labels and see what the first few ingredients are. Quality food SHOULD NOT read "meat by-products" - this means you don't know what kind of meat your pet is getting, e.g. beaks, claws, tails, etc. Newmans might cost more than IAMS and Science Diet, but you need to feed your pet less because he/she is getting quality ingredients and not "fillers". Also Newman's donates a portion of each sale of its petfood to animal charities. If you'd like more info, go to their website: newmansownorganics.com Meow, and it tastes good too!
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am not, but my owner is a vegan so Mylo, Felica and I get no human food we like!!! Meoooow
  • Kimberly KjellbergKimberly Kjellberg NyköpingMember Posts: 15
    edited 27 February, 2006
    No, I'm not. Mom is though. I sometimes get some corn or bread crumbs, but Mom don't want me to overdo it. I needs tons of protein and taurin and I could never give up tuna!
  • A- TuttleA- Tuttle Member Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am! I love it! And it is easier to say than obligate carnivore (though if you must say that I suggest you read "Obligate Carnivore" by Jed Gillen). Go to vegancats.com if you want to know more.
  • Stuart AsbelStuart Asbel The Shellies Memorial Home forMember Posts: 3,367
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Moo and I are definately meat eaters. We've read that we cats need a variety of protein sources which is why we love our Innova so much. It has chicken, turkey, fish, and I think it may have lamb too, plus all the vitamins and minerals we need, and nothing we don't. It also has a good balance of fruit and vegetables. It's awesome.