Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Felidae Vs' Cheaper Pet Foods

Amber FrielAmber Friel WebsterMember Posts: 690
edited 28 November, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
So, I was at my local Pet Store the other day. As I was interested in purchasing Felidae for my cats, as my dog Angel is on Canidae which works phenominal for her. Well I noticed that the first ingredient wasn't a solid meat, it was Chicken Meal. So I didn't buy it due to the fact that my Purina One has wholesome chicken as their first ingredients. So I was wondering what your guys take was on Felidae vs' Purina one and Iams Original chicken. Would it be worth gettigs or is the stuff I listed just as good if not better due to the fact they have chicken as their primary ingredient.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 13 November, 2011
    Felidae is at least grain free and has MUCH less sugar and carbs. That is the big issue in foods at the moment. Have you considered another brand of food? There's plenty of them, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient, Nature's Variety, Evo, Merrick. :?
  • Amber FrielAmber Friel WebsterMember Posts: 690
    edited 13 November, 2011
    Hello Finnegan! Yes, we have looked at other brands only downfall is there are no stores within an hour of here that carrier those brands. An I don't use a credit card or debit card to purchase stuff. The only brands that this pet store really has is Felidae and Blue Buffalo. An stinky in particular will not eat it for some reason, last time he got very sick from not eatting and we had to bring him in :-# An I don't want a repeat. So I was looking at Felidae. Would you say that it is better? Than what he is currently on?
  • Suzanne BrunerSuzanne Bruner Member Posts: 440
    edited 13 November, 2011
    In order to do a proper comparison, we need to know which specific types of each brand you would be willing/able to buy so that we can do an ingredients comparison. For example, with Felidae, you have the original, the chicken and rice, and the pureElements and pureSea.
    edited 13 November, 2011
    Yes, definitely!!!! I'm not a fan at all of the other brand he's on. You know what you can always do? Look at some of the companies on the web that make the other foods. Like search for that brand name, go to their website and write them and see if they'll send you a free sample. A lot of them do that. Then if your kitty likes it, ask your nearby place to start carrying it. Most pet food stores or stores that sell that stuff will carry it if they know they have a customer who wants it. Something to think about. But yes, the Felidae is better. :D
    edited 14 November, 2011
    I will definitely talk to the pet store owner and see if something can be done about getting other foods. But for now I think I am gonna try Stinkers out on Felidae. Amber: As of right now I am looking at the Felidae Platinum for Seniors.
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 14 November, 2011
    I remember reading somewhere that "chicken meal" is actually superior to just "chicken." I Googled "chicken meal" and found a website that explains it: "Let’s differentiate between chicken and chicken meal. The definition for chicken, according to the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), describes it as a clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from parts of whole carcasses of chickens thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails. Chicken meal, according to AAFCO, is the dry rendered product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with and without accompanying bone, derived from whole carcasses of chicken thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails. Chicken essentially is taking a roaster and grinding it up, mixing everything together including muscle, skin and bones. The water content averages around 70%, along with 18% protein and 5% fat. Now take this ground chicken and carefully dry it to a moisture level of 10%. The protein content is now 65% and the fat level is 12%. This product is chicken meal." You can read the entire article here: Chicken Meal vs. Chicken
    edited 14 November, 2011
    Interesting Article,thank you for that. That makes me feel a bit better about switching his food. As of right now he is one Purina One: Hairball Remedy mixed with Iams Original Chicken flavor, and both of the first ingredients are Chicken and then the second one is Chicken Meal and I believe the third is Corn Glueton which I know is bad. So I appreciate all the information everyone!%:D%
    edited 14 November, 2011
    Don't know if I agree with that article since it's written by this manufacturer who deals with chicken meal. There's a lot of information out there to say otherwise. But I have no idea what the truth is. :?
    edited 14 November, 2011
    Its not like I necessairly agree with it totally either, as I have always thought wholesome meat is the best. An I didn't realize that it was written by a a person who works with it, but it is interesting. Pet foods are so much more complex than human food MOL:)) We'll just have to let little stinkers determine whether he likes Chicken Meal Vs' Chicken :)) Either way Felidae seems a bit more on the healthier side considering the fact it does not contain horrid Corn Glueton. Instead it contains better grains. ~a~
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 14 November, 2011
    We have fed as part of our rotation the Felidae grain free(wet only)The grain free is kinda new out on the market for Felidae, not all stores carry it, though you could ask if they could get it in. The other felidae had a bit to much fish. Though I will say that any time I had given my cats the felidae they would drink alot of water, so I think there is a bit too much salt in this food. We do not feed it any longer as our store no longer carries it. I think this food is better than the food you were feeding.
    edited 14 November, 2011
    Well I have updated news! Instead of getting boring Felidae brand cat food at the pet store. I got Stinkers Taste of the Wild: Canyon River Feline Formula. I am excited to try it out as he absolutely loves fishy flavors, as many of you heard the tuna stories :)
  • Cassandra NoneCassandra None Member Posts: 406
    edited 16 November, 2011
    Well, the definition of chicken meal is pretty much correct. It is chicken without the water hence the "meal" tag. Having said that if you chose a product with "chicken meal" as the first ingredient listed, technically you are getting more chicken!
  • Anna DuchAnna Duch Member Posts: 170
    edited 18 November, 2011
    Felidae grain-free has been around for awhile, but it's only now that the company is actually promoting it and gave it its own sub-brand-name: pureElements. I feed my cats this, and they are over the moon for the new formulation; I don't know what they changed, but it's juicier and apparently more delicious! Felidae is really awesome about giving away coupons -- I just got two in the mail today for visiting their website a bit back. It is very hard to find Felidae pureElements in the stores, so I've resorted to ordering from HeartyPet and from Pet Food Direct. HeartyPet is cheaper though -- $15.99 a case regularly rather than $21.99 from PFD. Between the coupons and the repeat shipping discount, it isn't too expensive to feed. Granted, the price has gone up since I started Memphis on it when she was little -- it used to be $12.99 a case. Another good food I've found is ordering Soulistic's grain free varieties online from Petco. $49 purchase = free shipping, so we just stocked up now. The cats love this too.
  • Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Los Angeles,CAMember Posts: 355
    edited 25 November, 2011
    TOTW is great, cheapest GF option on the market and Sprinkles does great on it, zero dandruff and barely any shedding :)
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 26 November, 2011
    Chicken Meal: Chicken meal is made from whole chicken that's cooked to remove the water and fat - leaving a dry, highly concentrated source of high quality protein (from flesh) and essential minerals such as Calcium (from bone). Also provides a natural source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin (from cartilage). Excludes chicken heads, feet and intestines. It usually takes 5 lbs of wet chicken to make 1 lb of meal. Therefor you are getting more meat in a meal form. Chicken: Chicken is a source of high quality protein and adds flavor to a diet. Protein is an essential nutrient that helps promote strong muscles, aids in tissue repair, provides energy and helps support a healthy immune system. And here is what I know about this ingredient; Corn Gluten Meal: Excellent source of protein that is highly digestible. Corn gluten meal is also a source of sulfur amino acids which are important for skin & coat health. It is also a good source of antioxidants like lutein.
    edited 26 November, 2011
    Really TOTW is cheaper for you sprinkles? Up here TOTW is more expensive then Felidae and Chicken Soup. But stinky really seems to love it, he loves his fishyness. :))
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 27 November, 2011
    I have a problem with the fact that the author quotes the definition of "chicken" which says, right there, it is EXCLUSIVE of feathers, entails etc which means none of those things are in it--but then this quote turns right around and says 'chicken' is like grinding up whole birds including feathers and entrails. To me it seems the author might be cut-and-pasting without thinking to make such statements so close to each other. Actually, the first is correct, "chicken' has no guts, feathers, etc. However, chicken meal is wholesome as well, and can even be a better first ingredient because it's dehydrated and thus more nutrient dense. So one pound of chicken meal has a lot more nutrition than one pound of chicken. The problem here is that if the two are listed as the first ingredient on different foods, it does not tell you how MUCH is there. for example, 2 (imaginary) recipes could be A) 9 pounds chicken, 1.25 pound potato, .75 pound broccoli and the second could be B) 3.5 pounds chicken meal, 3.4 pounds potato. and 3.1 pounds broccoli. This would be a huge difference in terms of food quality. And an even bigger difference if you swapped the chicken and chicken meal in the 2 recipes, at which point the one with 'chicken' would be a really poor choice.
  • Suzanne BrunerSuzanne Bruner Member Posts: 440
    edited 28 November, 2011
    Chicken meal is chicken meat minus the water, so if you had two foods that had identical ingredients except that one had "chicken" and one had "chicken meal" as the first ingredient, the one with the chicken meal would contain more meat. However, the trade-off is that chicken meal is cooked to hades before being added to the food, and then cooked again after, whereas chicken is only cooked once, during the extrusion process, and theoretically retains more nutrients because of it. Personally, I like to see "chicken" and "chicken meal" as the first two ingredients in order to split the difference.