Guidance for a cheaper wet food?

Jessica WallaceJessica Wallace Member Posts: 1
edited 23 January, 2012 in Food & Nutrition
I am a 8 month old male kitten. Even though I'm quite a stringbean, I weigh 12 lbs and am very active. My momma has been out of work for 6 months due to illness, and needs to switch me to a cheaper food now that she has been forced to take another semester off of work and school. She used to feed me all Wellness in the beginning after a recommendation from my vet, but now feeds me one 3 oz can of wellness a day, and is supplementing it with Blue Buffalo kitten dry. She feels bad about feeding me dry since I'm a boy, and wants to know an affordable wet alternative to mix in with the wellness. I will need about 9 oz of food per day, otherwise I chew on all of momma's electronic cords and her shoelaces until she feeds me more. :3 Do you have any suggestions for us? ** I forgot to say that I turn my nose up at any pate food. I like my meaty chunks!

Comments

• Andree-Anne ForguesAndree-Anne Forgues Member Posts: 33
    edited 7 December, 2011
    Mreow! Hi there! I hate pate foods too. My Mamma tried to make me eat some high-fibre stuff and I did not like it. She usually gets me some Royal Canin wet food, but before that she would get me some Whiskas I think. I love biting on electronic cords and shoe laces too. Hee! Hee! Hee! *anime eyes* Let's be friends!
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 7 December, 2011
    I understand about your financial situation and you are far from alone so please don't feel bad. You have to do what you have to do. The problem is since you don't like pate you won't find any grain free in the grocery store that has the chunky stuff. You'd have to go with Taste of the Wild or something like that which is more expensive. You're kind of in a pickle unfortunately.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 7 December, 2011
    This in only my opinion and I know a lot of people disagree, but if your cat has no underlying health issues, I think it's better if you supplement with a cheaper canned food - even if it's not grain free - than dry food. Even the Friskies or Fancy Feast gravy flavors. Are they ideal? No. But we all do what we can, and I think the extra moisture is worth it.
  • Ralphie RandyRalphie Randy Member Posts: 399
    edited 7 December, 2011
    I don't have any suggestions about a particular food, but you could try mixing a less-expensive pate style with the chunky texture you're currently feeding and see if Malcolm will eat that. The partial cans can be kept in the refrigerator until the next meal and warmed before serving. This might be a good way to stretch out the more expensive chunky food and keep Malcolm happy and healthy!
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 8 December, 2011
    Have you looked at Soulistic or BFF canned cat foods? They are made by Weruva, but are cheaper and are still shreds/chunks of meat in gravy. BFF recipes all contain fish, but Soulistic has one that is chicken only (the rest are all fish recipes). I believe that the Soulistic and BFF are probably pretty low in calories like Weruva is. Because your cat is still a kitten they would not be appropriate as an only food, but they would be fine to include in a rotation diet. Purrs, Shade
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 9 December, 2011
    Well, the not liking pate might be a problem, but mommy and daddy who are feeling the 'pinch' buy Friskes turkey and giblets canned. It does have alot of 'gravy' and is very moist. We get fancy feast classic chicken and turkey and giblets. Both are pate. We like it. Mommy can get the large cans of the Friskies onsale sometimes for 79-80 cents a can, and it can feed all 6 of us a feeding. They also have the smaller cans and for a fellow like yourself, that might be a good thing! Hope this works out for you! Ruffy
  • Krista PugsleyKrista Pugsley ScarboroughMember Posts: 43
    edited 10 December, 2011
    When I was feeling the pinch, I was feeding my boys Fancy Feast Turkey..not the on that's chunks with gravy though. There are two Fancy feast turkey varieties, make sure you get the grain free one. My boys loved it. Now that I have a bit more money they are getting a better quality food though.
  • Katherine EvansKatherine Evans Clinton, MOMember Posts: 105
    edited 10 December, 2011
    My mom's always feeling the pinch:( but she does her best. When she has a bit more than she had thought she gets better foods when she can't she uses coupons to get what she can for even less. Right now she has mostly grocery store brands but in Feb she will be spending some of her tax money to get a bunch of better brands to mix in. Perhaps your mom could start couponing to stretch her money more? My mom might be able to help some.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 12 December, 2011
    When i feed canned food, i feed fancy feast pate style or friskies pate style. It must be the "pate" style ( no chunks, shreds, w/gravy or anything else) because those all contain wheat gluten or other filler to make those textures. I use to buy EVO and Wellness canned cat food until i realized i was paying 2 bucks a can for potatoes and carrots. Now i know a lot of kitties on here will not agree with me. I did a lot of research on catfood before i decided to make my own. but when i am out of homemade food i will occasionally feed those foods i mentioned. Those styles of canned catfood have high protein and low carbs and they are cheep. I thought i was buying a better brand with wellness or EVO, but they are usually supplied by the same companies. Thats my reasons behind the cheep brand. So here are my picks Friskies: any of the classic pate styles are okay. Fancy Feast: any of the classic
  • Marie LMarie L Member Posts: 94
    edited 12 December, 2011
    Authority brand canned food (only at PetSmart) - get the cuts in gravy. Save for the wheat gluten (near the bottom of the list), the ingredients are excellent considering it's 75 cents a 6 ounce can. My cats love it, and it's a huge step above Friskies. No artificial colors or by-products (except for some brewer's rice, but there is hardly in there whenever I open a can). The chunk consistency is identical to Wellness. Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Turkey, Wheat Gluten, Food starch Rice, Dried Egg White, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamin
  • Anna DuchAnna Duch Member Posts: 170
    edited 15 December, 2011
    I second the person who said Soulistic. There is tapioca in there, but no brown rice or oats or barley. You can add water in to dilute the gravy, and the cats will still go nuts for it. Soulistic has Good Karma Chicken as well as Harvest Sunrise Chicken in Pumpkin Soup -- the pouches go by a different name than the cans for some reason, but those are two completely fish free flavors. The Pumpkin one also really helps out with hairballs and upset tummies; there has been a MAJOR reduction in both incidences. The 5.5 oz cans are a good buy. I rotate with Felidae (pate), and the Soulistic Polynesian Picnic Chicken and Tilapia, Chicken Salmon Tuna, and the Tuna and Salmon in Pumpkin soup. I try to feed the fish only once or twice a week, so it's mostly the Felidae, Good Karma, and the Pumpkin Soup.
  • victoria avictoria a Asheville, NCMember Posts: 2,371
    edited 15 December, 2011
    Do you have trader joes where you live? They have their brand of cat food, this is what I feed primarily(mixed with totw dry), its like $.60 for 5.5 oz can, they also have cat tuna which is $.50 a can. Decent ingredients that wont break the bank
  • Laurel KowalskiLaurel Kowalski Gateway to the WestMember Posts: 486
    edited 16 December, 2011
    It has been trail & error to find the wet foods that Brownie will eat again. I'm so happy he is demanding the wet food now. He likes Soulistic Good Karma. I have to cut it up & add extra water to make more gravy. But Cookie does not like this one. Go figure! After trying lot of different brands, the winner in our house is....... Friskies/Fancy Feast Delights or Treasures with the cheese. They both love it. I thought the Purina One tuna that had the same shape would be a winner too. I was wrong of course. They from time to time eat Fancy Feast fish & shrimp. It has a little shrimp on top of the real fish. I have a small can of Simply Nourish chicken & duck stew that I wanted them to try. Christmas is coming up for a special dinner.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 16 December, 2011
    You're not alone. I spent the $58 the other day for Hunters dinners/kibble and kibble and wet food for my dog. That doens't even include Hunters breakfasts. I can usually get a months worth of food for Hunter for about $40. As Alex said, most grain free foods are pate style. Grain free is better for cats but not a necessity. Before grain free foods, cats lived long lives as well. Do what you feel is best for your cat. The cheapest food I've come across is Fancy Feast. They have minced, chunky, sliced and pate varieties. Each style as several flavors. I only buy the classic/pate varieties as they don't have any Wheat gluten. My Hunter likes pate style only. They are usually on sale at Petco or PetSmart. Get a rewards card and you'll save money. Usually I get 24 cans for about $18-$20 I think. Also, if you can find Natures Variety Instinct in your area, you can purchase the wet dog food. Its 13.2 ounces and its the same forumla as the cats. I as well as other catster members have compared ingredients and even called the company to confirm. Its grain free and you get more than double you would in a cat can of food. Just FYI for you. Hope this helps. (^^
  • Karen WarrenKaren Warren Member Posts: 4
    edited 17 December, 2011
    I refuse to buy Fancy Feast or Friskies for my cats.. that's like feeding them Mc Donalds every day to a kid! The cheapest, healthiest food I get for my cat is from Trader Joe's. Do you have a Trader Joe's by you? If so, I'd try their cat food. 59¢ for a 5.5 oz can and ingredients are really good (though it does have grains, the only downside IMO). no by-products either. It's very close to Wellness, sans the grains. I can't seem to find ingredients online, but the can in my hand: Trader Joe's Chicken, Turkey and Rice Dinner.. first few ingredients: Chicken Broth, Chicken, Turkey, Ocean Fish, Animal Liver. My picky cat likes them too, even though they are Paté. The only Paté my cat would eat, actually!
  • victoria avictoria a Asheville, NCMember Posts: 2,371
    edited 27 December, 2011
    Another affordable food is chicken soup for cat lovers soul, I bought it online for $18 for 24 cans with free shipping @petcarerx.com ( but you need to meet their shipping requirements, the order has to be over $49 and under 35 lbs)
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 28 December, 2011
    I also feed Friskies canned pate style and the Treasures for my pickier eaters. They also like Fancy Feast, but at 50 cents per 3.5 oz can compared to 50 cents for 5.5 oz or 99 cents for 13 ounce Friskies it's much more expensive. .... I do not feel bad in any way about feeding these items, not even the "Treasures" with the gravy and chunks, as none of my cats are allergic or otherwise badly affected by a little gluten. It's highly unlikely that most cats will eat enough canned anything to become obese for that reason either.
  • Kayla DeverKayla Dever Rochester HillsMember Posts: 2,010
    edited 14 January, 2012
    Feeling it here, too. But my kitties like the pate best, so it's alright. Trader Joes is good, I use it a lot, but they are all pate, I think. Not sure about the "cat tuna", but the rest are all pate. When money is really tight or I can't get over there, we just do some Friskies. Better than starving, or eating dry food alone, though they do get a good dry food (TOTW). Good luck, we definitely understand |:|
  • M BenkeM Benke Member Posts: 581
    edited 15 January, 2012
    When my cats are on wet (we feed both raw and wet), they get Friskies. Mocha has idiopathic hypercalcemia and has very specific requirements for the ingredients in her food. I know that there are a lot of people who would disagree with me on this, but for my situation, Friskies and Fancy Feast are the best option. Her diet requires no acidifiers to manage the IHC and in turn manage the inevitable CKD. When she's on raw/Friskies/Fancy Feast her numbers are great and both her IHC and CKD go essentially into remission. The moment we put her on 'good' wet food her numbers freak out completely. You need to do what is best for your cat. Frankly, cat's are desert animals and ANY wet food is pretty much going to be the better option over kibble. The large cans of Friskies in my area run me $0.50 a can, and the Fancy Feast cans run me about $0.54 a can. Again, just about everyone is going to disagree with me on this, but Mocha's numbers don't lie... but again, this is what works for OUR situation, and you need to do what works for you. A brand you might try is ... I think it's Before Grains 95%. They have chicken, quail, turkey, and beef I believe. They're a good food, not a ton of additives and if I remember right, a good carb to protein ratio which is what really matters (cats don't need carbs). Also, you'll want to try and stay away from fish. There's a link between male cats w/urinary tract issues and fish.
  • Amber FrielAmber Friel WebsterMember Posts: 690
    edited 15 January, 2012
    I too am very picky about what I feel my cats, but I have definitely felt the "pinch" and currently am feeling it. We as pet owners do our best to feed our cats. But sometimes we just can't afford the really good stuff. I know MANY Catsters will disagree with me, which is okay. But I sometimes feed my cats regular tuna in water, Salmon in water, and trout in water. Tuna is VERY cheap! My cats absolutely love it. Salmon and Trout are more expensive like $2.00 a can at Walmart but they like that as well. The reason many people do disagree with feeding human food like regular tuna is due to the Mercury content and it's not processed specially for cats. But I have done this with all my cats for years now, and I have never had any problems. Actually, one time when my beloved Stinkers got really sick. He had a bad fever, wouldn't eat or drink, and was becoming dehydrated quickly. The only way we saved him and got him to eat was feeding him real mushed up tuna. That is the only thing he would eat. I don't feed Tuna all the time, but frequently. I rotate in some Fancy Feast or Friskies canned cat food as well. So that it balances out the Mercury content. Now, my cats are not on wet diet, they eat TOTW kibble. But they get a can of wet food 4/7 days a week, along with their kibble. I wish you the best of luck! =;
  • PoecePoece Member Posts: 122
    edited 15 January, 2012
    I agree with silver. Coupons really help. I got some wellness, halo, purina pro plan (not the best but there are grain free flavors)and holistic select (not grain free but better than some other foods) all for less than half the regular price. Is raw an option? Raw has been soo much cheaper for me. If I didnt feed raw I would have to feed mostly kibble. I cant afford an all canned diet. I spend maybe $30 a month on 3 cats. Often less. They each get 4 oz a day.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 15 January, 2012
    We agree with all who say figure out what works best for you. Since we have no food allergy kitties, Bodrouex, Brandywine and I get the 'grilled' or 'flaked' FF mixed with some pate style. Everyone else gets Friskies pate because they aren't as picky. We also get Pro Plan, Iams or similar if it's on a really good sale or clearance. I eat the ones with cheese best of all and will even eat some raw Blue Ridge Beef IF it has my cheesy food mixed in. The three of us just won't eat enough if we don't get what we like, and no one here will eat the expensive 'premiuim' brands, period, and Meowma tried them all. A moot point anyway these days since there are now 12 grown cats here so at 4x the price she won't even consider it never mind being really tired of throwing away food that is a buck or more per can. We know many disagree with this part as well, but we also get dry food free choice; none of us overeat and many are breeding kitties who need the extra calories. We have heard the arguments about not feeding wet and dry close together but have had no problems here.(No offense, but Meowma doubts there is any actual proof about dry food 'fermenting' or whatever in the gut as she has seen no evidence and no research to make her believe it) With finances the way they are these days, we don't want to see people feed food that has hardly any meat in it or anything like that, but unless there are proven health factors that prohibit your cats having any plant matter at all, there are a lot of good choices out there.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 15 January, 2012
    You can still feed the good dry, and still give them the extra water, that little boy kitties need. Which is why, people feed wet. You mix 1 teaspoon Gerber baby food, chicken or turkey ONLY, with water, so its like a broth, twice a day. It doesn't matter, how, they get the extra water, as long as they get it, weather it is by mixing the wet with water, so its real soupy, or using the baby food broth method.
  • Amber PyeAmber Pye CornwallMember Posts: 92
    edited 22 January, 2012
    Egon here! If your mom is still looking for help or validation in switching to a cheaper wet food, we can help! My mom used to feed us really good kibble. It was really tasty at first, but it made my tummy hurt a lot. I didn't know why it made my tummy hurt, so I blamed my sister. I didn't want her near me while I ate because obviously it was HER fault, right? But it wasn't. I felt bad all the time, I wanted to sleep, and I left toxic waste in the litter box. It was so bad that my sister stopped coming to the bathroom with me! My mom tried other kibbles, up and down her price range. She was so fed up with me not feeling good all the time, and having to change foods so often. Over the Christmas holidays we ran out of expensive food, and with so little money, my mom bought us some Fancy Feast cans to fill the gap. Well, the Fancy Feast cured me overnight. My paw to Ceiling Cat! When I realised my tummy didn't hurt and my poo was normal (I think, I've never seen a normal poo come out of me!) I stopped growling at my sister. We now both eat Fancy Feast- a can each a day, with about an eight cup of plain Purina cat chow- and my mom says we're "full of beans" again. Fancy Feast saved our litter box! I can definitely recommend it if you still need a cheaper meal.
  • mary knightmary knight Member Posts: 1
    edited 23 January, 2012
    I have 15 cats, so I am looking for the large cans of wet food. Who makes large cans, so I can request my Safeway carry that? Safeway makes Priority in large cans, but my cats dislike Priority cat food. On the Friskies website, there are only regular-size cans.
  • Brenda GrabBrenda Grab MadisonMember Posts: 606 ✭✭
    edited 23 January, 2012
    Evanger's Classic Dinners come in 13 oz. cans. They have Beef, Chicken, and Seafood (grain-free and by-product free). They are very reasonably priced, but you have to add shipping cost. I've only seen them on their website. My picky cats eat this better than most premium foods.