Hey, am I a Chartreux?

Earl GreyEarl Grey Member Posts: 10
edited 7 January, 2012 in Choosing the Right Cat
I have no idea, cause I just a rescue cat...don't remember mother ...and well who knows about father.

Comments

• Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 7 December, 2011
    I can't answer your question, but wanted to say how good looking you are!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 8 December, 2011
    No. You are a blue cat. Chartreux are extremely rare. Color is not breed. Having said that, breed cats do become rescues. But you have to think statistics. I have only seen one Chartreux during my years of CFA showing. The CFA Online Almanac, available by subscription, can tell you how rare Chatreux are. As far as I can tell, breeders of rare breeds do not allow their cats to go unsexed, nor do they abandom them. If you really want to know, go to a CFA show as a household pet. Without a pedigree, you cannot be registered as a breed cat. A judge may tell you that you are a Chartreux or not. It is all about body configuration. Chartreux have boxy bodies with extremely fine legs. Honestly, I cannot imagine purebred Chartreux getting into the moggy population. French cats? Yes, of course. That would include the ancestors of Chartreux. But not a Chartreux. Cats are not defined by breed as are dogs. It is estimated that over 95% of cats do not have a breed.
    edited 8 December, 2011
    There are currently fewer than one hundred Chartreux being shown WORLDWIDE. Compare this to hundreds of Maine Coons. It is a very rare breed. Apparently the naturally occurring French cat was crossbred with British Shorthairs and Persians. Persian blood is not uncommon in American cats.
    edited 8 December, 2011
    Having said all that, your copper eyes are unusual. Please go to a cat show--any registry that recognizes Chartreux. Without a pedigree, a judge can only make an educated guess. Breed cats do end up in rescues. If you are judged to be a Chatreux, I suspect that the Chartreux breed people will be very eager to find who surrendered you and why. A breeder is supposed to take back any cat that must be surrendered.
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 8 December, 2011
    Leila, Many years ago, when the Sphinx breed first became popular here in the US, I worked in a no kill shelter. I kid you not when I tell you within 2 years we had 3 Sphinx put up for adoption. Smokieboo is, we are pretty sure, a 'pure breed' Russian Blue. (if what has been told to us is true, he came from a petstore that gets their kittens from backyard breeders.) Seen way too many purebreed cats be placed for adoption...sadly, even the 'rare' ones. Why? for all sorts of reasons...same as DSHs and DLHs. Is a very very lovely kitty though....lovely kitty.
    edited 8 December, 2011
    Yes, yes, there are purebred breeds in shelters, which is why there are purebred breed rescue services. But you have to look at popularity and numbers of that breed. Sphynxes are very popular, but end up being abandoned because, oddly, they need weekly bathing to get rid of the skin oil, and they need t-shirts and such to maintain body heat. Sorry, but you are not a Russian Blue. A Russian Blue has velvety short fur and emerald eyes. Granted, you have widely placed, diagonally set ears that resulted from outcrossing with Siamese. Maybe some sleazy breeder once sold you as a Russian Blue. You would NOT pass the CFA standards, that I know. Blue is the dilute form of black, and occurs in moggies. As for backyard breeders in the US, cat breeders are not as common as dog breeders. The reason is that most cats do not have a breed. There appear to be no statistics regarding cat backyard breeders--and if you know of any, let me know.
    edited 8 December, 2011
    Backyard breeders, from what I glean, seem to focus on breeds that are popular. Possibly new breeds like Sphynxes and Ragdolls. There is a dearth of information regarding backyard breeders. Google it--you will not get much information. Aside from the fact that feline backyard breeders seem to operate on a much lesser scale than canine ones, I seriously suspect that backyard breeders are not much involved in selling a minor breed like the Chartreux. How many Americans know what a Chatreux is? How many do the research to decide the Chartreux is for them? How many are gullible enough to believe the CFA catchphrase, people oriented? Cat breeds are dtermined by confirmation, not personality. However, the fact that you have copper eyes may be significant. See a cat show judge. Vets know very little about breeds. And shelters make up breed descriptions to make cats more adoptable, God love them.
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 8 December, 2011
    Leila, I agree...just because you "meet" the color of breed certainly does not mean you are "purebred" anything...I meet the breed standards of a Korat..but I'm not. I'm just a moggy with a nice coat color.
    edited 9 December, 2011
    Conformation, not confirmation. And determined. Still texting from phone.
    edited 9 December, 2011
    MOL, Grizzly. Actually, you look like you have Siamese genetic heritage, which could explain your looking like a Korat. I don't have the CFA figures for Korats this season, but they are rare. My take on it is this: Persians and Siamese bred with the moggy population long before breeders became fussy and started selling desexed cats. My former Japanese moggies, may they rest in peace, seemed to have different fathers. The boy was medium haired, the girl short haired. Both were very talkative kitties with Siamese voices. Strangely, DNA evidence seems to indicate that Japanese cats are not "Oriental." Simply put, Japanese cats are not necessarily related to Thai cats. Although they may be related to Chinese cats, who are related to Eurasian cats via the Silk Road. No one really knows.
    edited 9 December, 2011
    Just checked. Only about a dozen Korats are being shown with the CFA this season. Yes, there are other registries, but the fact that so few Korats are being shown with the CFA means that it is an uncommon breed. I have never seen one at a cat show myself. Or maybe one. I remember seeing only one Chartreux. Blue cats do exist in the moggy population. They could have ancestors from Asia, Russia, France, Britain...or not. They could share ancestors with Korats, Rusian Blues, Chartreux, British Shorthairs...or not. What is less likely is a moggy with purebred heritage, or a purebred being cast off by an owner or sleazy breeder. Owner relinquishment does occur, of course. As for a sleazy breeder just abandoning cats? I hear stories like that, but wonder if most are not an urban myth. Again, there is a dearth of information on this topic.
  • Earl GreyEarl Grey Member Posts: 10
    edited 10 December, 2011
    Thnx all for your kind and informative responses. In follow-up, my body type is best described as "a rectangular box standing on edge with legs"...lol. I will post some new pics to show. Also, I seem to have the many personality traits listed for Chartreux, though they also seem to be very close to "Blues". Also, I not a shelter rescue, but a rescue from an individual that I no longer have contact with and no nothing about. Having noticed that my color, eyes, body shape, and personality; seem to match a Chatreux; I highly doubt that I am a pure Chartreux, maybe a breeding experiment? I know I am no ordinary pussycat. Anyway...I taking advice and planning to go to a cat show Mar 3/4 in Indy, only problem is my human minions are 2 guys who know nothing about cat shows and I'm sure they will either embarrass me or get arrested for ...well inappropriate behavior at bars near the cat show and such. Already...the jokes about going to a "pussycat" show are getting deep. Anyone out there to help me manage these clowns if I go to the show? So...if I a show cat and maybe become a breeder cat....the 2 clowns keep talking about it being time that I should get declawed and neutered. Should I let them do this? :r
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 10 December, 2011
    Leila you are right about the Siamese heritage possibly influencing the Korat. Back in the '60's my brother adopted a Siamese names Suzie - she had escaped and had been bred by an unknown tom. She had a litter of solid gray (who looked like me) and black kittens. My brother gave us one of the gray females and my mom had her bred to a purebred sealpoint. Interestingly, the resulting litter was two kittens. One was a solid black kitten with the head and body conformation of a siamese, and the other was a sealpoint kitten who had the conformation of a moggy! MOL!
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 10 December, 2011
    Earl Grey if you want to be a show kitty, without papers you would be showing in the "household pet" category. This requires you to be neutered. I would NOT recommend declawing however. Most vets do not recommend this procedure. Also this may prevent you from showing, some organizations do not allow showing a declawed cat! Are you entered in the show to be shown or are your humans just going to the show as spectators? If you are entered in the show, there are a lot of show cats here in the forums who can give you advice if you post with any questions you have! I would say start a separate post about it.
    edited 10 December, 2011
    Cat shows are generally permissive of aberranent behavior on the part of the human. Body conformation to breed standards is paramount for the cat. Behavior is only taken into minor consideration--Abyssinians are allowed to be antsy, Maine Coons are preferred if laid-back. I show in Japan, but we have a lot of American judges and photographers. If you are not a shelter cat, that ups your chances of not having a false breed placed on you. If you are a chunky cat with toothpick legs, that ups your chances of being a Chartreux. BUT the breed is extremely rare. Leave it up to a judge to decide. As I understand it, Chartreux originated as a naturally occurring breed in France. America is rife with Maine Coons that not so called purebreds, but randomly bred moggies. Are those Maine Coons fake? No, they are the real thing. The Maine Coon breed was only created to preserve this line. With purebred cats,you have, first, naturally occurring breeds that were turned into purebred breeds,like the Maine Coon, the Chartreux, the Russian Blue, the British Shorthair, the Turkish Angora. Some of these breeds were recreated, as it were, with outcrosses, usually Siamese or Persian. Then you have the created breeds. Persian plus Siamese equals Himalyan. Some randomly bred colorpoint cat becomes the progenitor of the Ragdoll line. Then you get the hybrids, bred from wild cat strains. The CFA is not fond of hybrids. Getting back to breeds developed from naturally occurring cats, as with Maine Coons, there is always the possibility that a cat who looks like that breed is a naturally occurring cat. I have seen some naturally occurring Maine Coons who look more like Maine Coons than pedigreed ones do.
    edited 10 December, 2011
    Right. To be shown as a household pet you must be neutered. Neutering is a simple surgery. The CFA does not, to my knowledge, allow declawed cats, and I assume most registries are the same.
  • Earl GreyEarl Grey Member Posts: 10
    edited 12 December, 2011
    i forgot....I also have real hot ears all the time, whatz up with that?
    edited 13 December, 2011
    LOL. Unless you have a chronic fever, hot ears are a sign of excitement. You will see a slight pinkish color caused by increased blood flow to the ears. It usually means that a cat is interested in something, curious, or playful. If accompanied by lethargy, you have a problem. Consult with your vet.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 13 December, 2011
    Either that, or your human keeps it nice and warm in the house! Yes, if you are going into a cshow, you will be in the Household Pet division, as registration numbers and papers are required for purebred classes. And you would have to be neutered for those classes as well, because again, in order to breed for purebred kittens, you MUST have papered parents, and the show organizations frown (as do most people) on intentional or accidental breeding of cats of unknown parentage.
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 13 December, 2011
    Hi Earl Grey! Harley is right; there are lots of show cats in the forums who can help you out! Kenji and I show in TICA (the International Cat Association). I've been in 7 shows (but I haven't been shown in two years). Kenji was in his first show this past June. He was shown as a kitten because he wasn't 8 months old yet on the day of the show. Both of us are show in the HHP division (household pets). In TICA, HHPs get titles just like the purebreds. The HHP division is very competitive too! HHPs 8 months or older must be neutered or spayed to be shown. You can show once without being registered if your owners just want to try it out to see how you do. But we would recommend registering beforehand so you won't have to write to the executive office to have the points that you acquire credited.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 13 December, 2011
    And in CFA you don't have to do any paperwork at all to get your HHP points, just place at the show. I will be going again the end of this month; I'm doing pretty good regionally,
  • jennifer parentjennifer parent Member Posts: 28
    edited 7 January, 2012
    hi.....i recently asked if anyone knew if my smokey could be a chartreux.....someone wrote that if i found out she was breeders would want me to surrender her??