does george need a friend?

Tom HazinakisTom Hazinakis Member Posts: 2
edited 13 January, 2012 in Choosing the Right Cat
I have a male fixed cat that used to have 3 other cats to keep him company. Out of the 3 he only got along with 1 of them, they played alot. Now that I'm going through a devorce, she took them all away. Now all he has are 3 large dogs and me. I was thinking about getting him a another kitty to keep him company and to play with. He is 4 years old and loves to play, Is this a good move? If so, What sex would make a better buddy?

Comments

• Tom HazinakisTom Hazinakis Member Posts: 2
    edited 11 January, 2012
    Thanks for the help. I guess if I don't show a picture, I will not get a responce.
  • Kate SchwartzKate Schwartz Fairfax, VermontMember Posts: 11
    edited 11 January, 2012
    I feel ya on that! I'm waiting for a response to one of my questions, too. Posted in several different forums and have not received ONE response! I think another cat is a definite must in your situation. Your cat is used to having another kitty playmate, and I'm sure the dogs are friendly, but it's not the same as having a companion cat. I would suggest a a male, too, and if you're not looking for "drama" with a new cat, I suggest as young of a kitten as you can handle. They tend to be easier to introduce to a new household, and they will learn their place in the "pecking order" much more quickly and with less stress than an older cat. Good luck!
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 11 January, 2012
    Sorry both of you did not get answers to your Forum Posts. Sometimes post do not come up as timely as they should. I see you Parer first posted around 9:30 Pacific Time. Sometimes you post is "jumped" when someone starts a new topic in the same Forum. I have been a CASTER member for several years and this is the best group of people for advice on any and all cat questions. I would agree a kitten would be good friend for George, they adapt so well to new situations. And please, go to a shelter or resuce, there are SO many kittens needing good homes. And look for one that is used to dogs, three large dogs might scare a kitten who have never been around dogs. Second poster....what was your question? Welcome to CATSTER, both of you - and no, people are NOT ignoring you if you do not have a picture. Please check back for answers. The New Orleans Kitties:w)
    edited 11 January, 2012
    Hi Al! Thanks for your willingness to help with my question, too! I have pasted the questions below. Any advice you can give me would be SO welcome. THANK YOU!! I have two cats, both neutered males. One, Parker, is a six year old, 11 kg Maine Coon (we're working on the weight issue!) who has decided that he does not want to be the sole companion to my second cat, George (aka "Monkey") a two year old orange tabby DSH whom I adopted when he was 10 weeks old. Monkey is a very active, energetic, kitten-like cat who wants nothing more than to play with Parker all day long. Parker, on the other hand, is not only too hefty to do much playing, but he just doesn't want to play all that often. He is much more content snoozing on his cat tower or drooling over the birds that come to the bird feeder outside our window. My boyfriend and I are looking at getting a third cat, preferably a kitten, that can be a play companion for Monkey so that Parker can have a little "me time". These are my questions 1) Should we adopt a male or female kitten? Would a female kitten be too timid for an all-male household? 2) Should we adopt a young kitten (8 weeks to four months) or an older kitten (5 months to a year old)? I have only ever adopted young kittens, and I have to say, I love the fast and deep bond that kittens develop, not only with their humans but also with their feline "siblings". I know that older cats can have a harder time being adopted out, but would an older cat (especially since we are looking to adopt from a shelter) come with too much emotional "baggage" to fit in easily with our household? This will be the first cat that my boyfriend has ever chosen before, and (it sounds a little selfish to me, so I can understand that it might sound selfish to you all as well), I don't want him to have a negative experience by adopting a cat that will do nothing but hiss and hide for weeks or months before finally emerging. I want to do right by my boyfriend and my "boys", and the last thing I want to do is end up with a cat that doesn't fit in well with our house.
    edited 11 January, 2012
    Hi George:-h In that case, I would say a kitten would be a good choice for George. At PetsMart, I have seen cards in the windows of the cats and kittens up for adoption that say "Good with Dogs, Good with Kids, etc. etc. Usually the same with shelter cats/kittens. Just realize ANY kitten will be a little afraid at first in a new home, so you all must be patient. In fact, best thing is to put the new kitten in a room by itself, with food and water bowls and a litterbox. Rub a towel on George, and put it in the kitten's bed, and do the same for George. Take it slowly....know other CATSTERs have more advice. Good luck, and look forward to seeing who adopts you all (and George). The New Orleans Kitties
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 11 January, 2012
    :-h I would highly recommend a friend for George! 2 cats have a blast together. It is so great for Zoey and I to have each other to play with and chase. Fun entertainment for the pawrents. I too would recommend another male. Zoey is smaller than me and I sometimes have to be more gentle with her than I would a brother. It would be fun for you to have a brother to rough house with. Sorry you didn't get questions answered right away, it is sometimes hard to get around to all of them. But I am sure more will be posting.
    edited 11 January, 2012
    Sorry, I was getting the cats mixed up. Monkey is George! Can't wait to see if you get a new brother!
    edited 12 January, 2012
    My parents are starting the search today! They tell me that they will start looking to see which shelters in our area have kittens. They also warned me that it might take a little while to find the perfect little brother for me. Here in Oklahoma, there is a very bad feral animal problem (not only do people not like to fix their pets, but they are more than comfortable kicking their "knocked up" cat outside until after the litter is born :( ). Normally the shelters have more kittens than they can adopt out, but the shelters reduced their adoption fees to $25 for the month of December, and a lot of cats and kittens found new homes last month. So it might take some searching to find the right playmate, but soon I will have a new little brother to introduce to you all!
    edited 12 January, 2012
    Monkey I am very excited for you! Tell your parents to take their time and find just the right brother that fits in with your fur family. I am sure they will have lots of fun looking! ~a~
    edited 13 January, 2012
    George: Well good that lots of cats and kittens adopted people, but we know that the perfect little friend is out there for you. You sure do look like my Al Hirt by the way. Keep us posted so we can all welcome the new kitten to it's wonderful, furrever home and to CATSTER!!! The New Orleans Kitties:-h