My cat needs a furry friend

Emily WilchaEmily Wilcha Member Posts: 21
edited 12 January, 2012 in Choosing the Right Cat
After 15 years of always having at least one other cat to play, eat, and sleep with, Patricia now has only me and my mom. I think it is obvious she needs another as she has been sleeping completely under my blankets and taking more naps since Wilbur died. I also want one so when she dies, I will still have a cat. What I want to know is if I should try to find a young adult (Mom does not want a kitten) to make that change easier for Patricia or an older cat who needs the same (mature cat) food? I leave food out all day for her so she can eat whenever she wants to and always have done that. However, I am not sure I want to have two senior cats because after I adopted an adult in 2002, another cat only a few years older never liked him. My other question is about the gender. Patricia always loved both a female cat and a male cat I used to have. Does it make a difference now that she is 15 years old if I adopt a boy or girl?

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 10 January, 2012
    I would suggest an older cat, as a kitten, or even a young cat would tire her out. Visit your local shelter or PetsMart. They can tell you if a cat would be comfortable with another cat. Perhaps one about 8 or 10 years, it all depends on the temperment of the cat. From reading here on CATSTER, older cats are always the last to be adopted, so you would be doing that older cat a big favor by giving it a loving, furever home. Good luck, and keep us posted in your "Furry Friend Search" The New Orleans Kitties:-h
  • Emily WilchaEmily Wilcha Member Posts: 21
    edited 12 January, 2012
    This is the hard part: Emily was only 12 when she had to be euthanized in 2006, so the idea of adopting a 10-year old cat scares me a little. I hate the thought of possibly having a cat only two years. Of course, because Patricia is still healthy at age 15, I also think I should not worry about my next cat being 10 years old. It is hard to decide if I really want a 10-year old cat. Why age 10? Because I found a cat that old online who likes other cats and children (according to www.petfinder.com). But I cannot get enough information about him on the humane society website, so I must see him at the shelter if I want a 10-year old cat.