Questions on Bringing a New Kitten into a Two-Cat (Neutered Males) Household

Kate SchwartzKate Schwartz Fairfax, VermontMember Posts: 11
edited 11 January, 2012 in Choosing the Right Cat
Hi all! I have two cats, both neutered males. One, Parker, is a six year old, 24.2 pound Maine Coon (we're working on the weight issue!) who has decided that he does not want to be the sole companion to my second cat, George (aka "Monkey") a two year old orange tabby DSH that I adopted from a shelter when he was 10 weeks old. Monkey is a very active, energetic kitten-like cat who wants nothing more than to play with Parker all day long. Parker, on the other hand, is not only too hefty to do much playing, but he just doesn't want to play all that often. He is much more content snoozing on his cat tower or drooling over the birds that come to the bird feeder outside our window. My boyfriend and I are looking at getting a third cat, preferably a kitten, that can be a play companion for Monkey so that Parker can have a little "me time". These are my questions: 1) Should we adopt a male or female kitten? Would a female kitten be too timid for an all-male household? 2) Should we adopt a young kitten (8 weeks to four months) or an older kitten (5 months to a year old)? I have only ever adopted young kittens, and I have to say, I love the fast and deep bond that kittens develop, not only with their humans but also with their feline "siblings". I know that older cats can have a harder time being adopted out, but would an older cat (especially since we are looking to adopt from a shelter) come with too much emotional "baggage" to fit in easily with our household? This will be the first cat that my boyfriend has ever chosen before, and (it sounds a little selfish to me, so I can understand that it might sound selfish to you all as well), I don't want him to have a negative experience by adopting a cat that will do nothing but hiss and hide for weeks or months before finally coming out of their shell. Any advice from the cat community would be more than welcome! I want to do right by my boyfriend and my "boys", and the last thing I want to do is end up with a cat that doesn't fit in well with our house. Thanks!