A sibling for Ben

ericka deciutiisericka deciutiis los angelesMember Posts: 193
edited 19 January, 2012 in Choosing the Right Cat
As some of you know, my Kizmet passed away this past weekend. He was 10. Ben is nearly 3, and has lived with other cats his whole life. When he arrived he had a brother and a sister. Both have passed on now, and he's very clingy with me. He really loved Kizmet. Playing with him, just being around him. I do want to get him a sibling, although not right this moment. I am thinking about what would be a good fit for the both of us when the time comes, does anyone have any advice? He has a dominant personality, loves to play and cuddle. I'm not sure if he'd be 'less threatened' by a small kitten, or more compatible with a cat his own age. I know that whoever comes into our home will take some adjustment for sure. I'm also not sure when we should get a new sibling. Sooner? Later? I don't want to upset him more with another upheaval in the house, but he gets nervous when I'm gone and is clingy when I come home. He'd never been alone in the house until Kizmet went to the hospital last week. He's definitely not a loner cat!

Comments

• Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 19 January, 2012
    Wow! Ben is surely handsome! As you can tell, I'm an Orangie too, and if Ben is anything like me: read: easy going, gentle for the most part, playful, good with other cats he'll be an easy cat to please. I was so happy when CK Angel Ryder Knowles came to live with us! He's fun! I must say, he came as a little fellow...mommy and daddy found him, they weren't looking for a kitten. I had fun with him, but I have to say that as a young 7 month old, we have fun, sometimes, though, whew, he can be a bit rough with me. I think that you will know with your Ben the sort of cat who should come to you. I would bet there are many cats you could find to be his friend. Wonder if you are anywhere near Cathouse on Kings? I ask because they are so unique, and would certainly know which cats were more 'cat friendy' than others. I want to say hi to Ben, and thank him, and you, nice human and kind person to open your heart and 'bring someone in from the cold'.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 19 January, 2012
    We've found that in general a younger cat, though not a baby kitten, is generally better accepted. I think a 6 to 8 month old kitty would b just about right. It doesn't matter so much if it's male or female either (but do make sure it's already spay/neutered).
  • ericka deciutiisericka deciutiis los angelesMember Posts: 193
    edited 19 January, 2012
    Thank you from me and Ben. Ruffy, we are not close enough to the Cat House, but I have them friended on Facebook. I think they are wonderful! I guess I'm not sure if I'm ready. It all just seems so new. I guess I will know our new addition when I see him. (or her!)