a cat or a kitten??

jennifer parentjennifer parent Member Posts: 28
edited 4 February, 2012 in Choosing the Right Cat
we are thinking about adding to our family.......i will of course go to a rescue or shelter....do you think it woulkd be better for my dog and cat gto get a cat or a kitten???

Comments

• Christie BrownChristie Brown Member Posts: 231
    edited 29 January, 2012
    Hi, we replied in another thread but we just had another thought. Keep in mind that it is off season for kittens. There will be more to choose from in the spring and summer. BUT, we have seen kittens at the adoption events at PetSmart...just not as many as you see during kitten season. (And the ones we have seen have been 3-4 months old with cute personalities....mommy wants one. :))
  • Mary WaltersMary Walters Milton KeynesMember Posts: 6,959
    edited 30 January, 2012
    I usually try to adopt older cats, but the 5 adopted over last 4 years have all been tiny kits or a few months old. I would say a young one would take to the dog best though.
  • jennifer parentjennifer parent Member Posts: 28
    edited 30 January, 2012
    Thank you patch and emily........i have called a few rescues one of them had kittens born yesterday......do you think my cat smokey will try to hurt the kitten??
    edited 30 January, 2012
    Probably not, but I would do very slow introductions. I'd read up on cat/cat introductions and cat/dog introductions. The kitten should have a small safe room to live in for the first weeks (and should not be allowed to mingle with other animals until the vet gives the all clear.) Supervised visits can happen when the animals seem ready. There are a lot of good articles out there on the internet about how to introduce a new pet to existing pets.
    edited 30 January, 2012
    Probably not, but I would do very slow introductions. I'd read up on cat/cat introductions and cat/dog introductions. The kitten should have a small safe room to live in for the first weeks (and should not be allowed to mingle with other animals until the vet gives the all clear.) Supervised visits can happen when the animals seem ready. There are a lot of good articles out there on the internet about how to introduce a new pet to existing pets.
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 30 January, 2012
    It depends! MOL! If you are in NY, we have a very very friendly sweet dog and cat friendly one and a half year old cat that is amazing! I have a kitten right now. He's the first kitten I've ever had. He was found in South Carolina and we beleive that our recently passed beloved Cee Cee Angel Ryder sent him to us. If you read his story...well, you'll see why. I love CK. Thats his name. But he has now reached the 'terrible 6 month old I'm a gangsta kitty' stage. He tormets the other cats. He especially torments Bella. He has temper tantrums. He smacks back when you scold him. He doesn't take 'no' lightly. He careens around the house during 'quiet time' and he steals Bellas special food. I could go on. Do I love him? Oh yeah. But he's a BAAAAAD Kitten!!!! I am saying that laughing...but he is! I would probably get a cat friendly/dog friendly cat. Why? Because kittens are hard! And becuase everyone wants them. the poor adult cats get put down because everyone wants a little kitten! If you check in with many rescues, they'll be able to let you know who's ok with cats and dogs. I would introduce them slowly, but thats not difficult. What a great thing you're considering an adult! Thank you!
    edited 30 January, 2012
    sooo funny....when i first got smokey she was bad too....lol....she is a little more than a year now and she still has her moments.....as much as i want a kitten i know how many older cats need homes....
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 1 February, 2012
    Keep in mind the 5-10 month kitties often get overlooked too, and are young enough to be accepted easier by the cat and big enough to be confident around the dog, plus they will show more of the personality they will have in the long run than a tiny kitten. Meowma sometimes takes one of the "teenager' kitties to the Petsmart if they are showing the 'right' personality. Before that they are just too little and it scares them.
    edited 1 February, 2012
    Sooo true about the teenage kittens being a good choice! All of our cat family was adopted at 4-6 months. It is a great age. I'll be honest, sometimes I regret missing the tiny stage, but they are healthier, vigorous, not as fragile, already spayed/neutered, still playful, and showing their true personalities as teenagers. Plus they have the litterbox thing down and aren't as needy with possibly needing their bottoms cleaned and as frequent feedings. Also, I had a feeling when we adopted our first two (at 6 months) that they had sort of reached their cuteness (easily adoptable) expiration date. And when we adopted our 3rd one at 4 months his foster mom confirmed my hunch when she said she was starting to worry about Leo being "over the hill" for easy adoption.
    edited 1 February, 2012
    thanks everyone for your responses.....i went online today lowell humane society and they dont hAVE any small kittens but some 8 months to two years.....i think i will probably go with a slightly older cat that is used to dogs and for the fact that oldedr cats have harder times getting adopted.....thanks so much
  • Lisa FLisa F Forest HillsMember Posts: 67
    edited 3 February, 2012
    When I got Edison, a wise friend of mine said to me, "Always remember - you may think you're picking the cat, but let the cat pick YOU." Long story short, my game plan was to adopt an older cat, because I think they have a harder time finding a home than a kitten does. I got to the shelter, and do you know, not one single older cat wanted anything to do with me! They all shied away when I held out my fingers for a sniff! However, there was one tiny little five month old kitten who screeched and hollered and waved his paws at me till I picked him up, which was all it took. Edison absolutely picked me, and 16 years later, here we are! I'm not saying it always happens that way, but sometimes, the cat figures it out for you. :f
    edited 4 February, 2012
    that is such a great story....im so happy for you both.....i wish i could rescue them all.....