Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Problem with 11 yr old female

Ilene MorosettiIlene Morosetti Member Posts: 1
edited 26 February, 2012 in Behavior & Training
She has recently decided not to use the litter box and is pooping everywhere and anywhere. I need help. I brought a new male in the house over a year ago who she would not accept becuz he taunts her all the time because he wants to play so bad. What can I do, I am at my wits end. Is there anything I can spray on my carpet to get her to use the litter box again.

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 19 February, 2012
    first thing is to take her to a vet to make sure there is not an underlying medical issue. Did you change the litter type? Do you have at least 2 boxes for 2 cats? She might have gotten upset/frightened while trying to use the box, and now has an aversion to it. Plus you need a good enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle to get the scent out of the areas she went.
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 24 February, 2012
    What sort of poop is it? Is it smallish hard lumps? If so, your kitty might be constipated. I'm 13 now, and I used to get constipated a lot. My Mom used to mix some Metamucil Free and Clear in with my food and that worked for a while, but now she has to give me a stool softener twice a day.
  • Michael LonerganMichael Lonergan Member Posts: 222
    edited 26 February, 2012
    Maizy has given you good advice. General rule of thumb is one litter box for each cat plus 1. The plus 1 should be in a neutral area if possible. While this is the ideal situation, it is not always possible to accommodate. You should try to do at least 2 boxes. At 11, a vet check to make sure nothing physical is wrong is probably a good idea. Also, you might look into the pheromone diffuser by Feliway. It really helps settle down kitties with anxiety. We use it here with great success. Good luck and let us know what is going on if you can. So sorry you are having this problem.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 26 February, 2012
    I agree, something is causing it to hurt when she poops and she now associates it with the box, OR the other cat is running her out of the box. Cats that have reliably used the box don't stop for no reason, and while it's a popular idea cats don't poo out of 'spite'. Stress, possibly. I am back from beyond the Bridge to tell you, I think especially due to her age constipation is very likely. I got totally stopped up and had to be 'put under' and cleaned out at the vet, and afterward I was still afrain it would hurt to poop. Meowma had to totally retrain me, by putting me in a little room with Dr Elsey's in a big pan, and she would sit in there for an hour after I ate rubbling my tummy and stetting me in the box when I was obviously about to go. I hope it doesn't get this embarrassing for you.