I made 2 huge litter boxes!!

amy tuggleamy tuggle Member Posts: 84
edited 19 April, 2012 in Cats and a Clean Home
we adopted salem and he's a HUGE cat.. not fat or heavy- just very long. I watched him in the litter box and he's so huge in there he barely had room to turn around. I started thinking about ways I could remedy this. I don't know that there are HUGE litter boxes you can buy, and there may be a better solution or something here on catster, but I came up with this: in the garage we had 2 very large storage containers with lids that were holding our camping gear. I dumped that stuff out, cut 3/4 of the top off and viola! huge cat litter pan. It takes an entier box of litter at once, but I notice it stinking a lot less now with our 3 cats using it, and it's a lot easier to scoop up, and that whole 'pee on the actual bottom of the litter box' problem has cleared up.. I also refill much less frequently. yay! i am IN LOVE with my new litter boxes. it works perfect for us. we keep the pans in closets without doors.. one is under the stairs, and one is in our bedroom. perfect! we have a normal sized one in the laundry room also- just in case.

Comments

• amy tuggleamy tuggle Member Posts: 84
    edited 10 April, 2012
    yeah- it's kindof a silly thing to post about, I know. I was all proud of myself for getting creative- something I don't usually do.. lol.. and it was WORK cutting the tops off of those things. I also thought someone else might want to know... its fairly inexpensive, I'd say... although now I have to replace the camping boxes.
  • Mary WaltersMary Walters Milton KeynesMember Posts: 6,959
    edited 10 April, 2012
    I have used them too before, thinking about getting a couple more as we have 6 cats and Bobcat is huge too, he pees over the side :)):))
  • Christie BrownChristie Brown Member Posts: 231
    edited 10 April, 2012
    It's not silly at all. We want to see photos. :) We went to commercially sold high sided litter boxes because Eko would pee over the side of standard boxes. Well, just a few times, he has made it over the sides of the high sided boxes (10 inches.) So, we may be making our own if that becomes a habit. We do love a large box, though. You are right...they are easier to keep clean.
    edited 10 April, 2012
    oh cool- I'm not the only person that thought of this! I didn't know there were commercial ones! I wish I could just use the easy breeze or whatever it's called from tidy cats.. the one w/ the pea pads on the bottom and the pellets. sounds nice, but I know he'd be pooping on the carpet.. lol as for pics- uh.. lol nah! :))!
    edited 18 April, 2012
    oh cool- I'm not the only person that thought of this! I didn't know there were commercial ones! I wish I could just use the easy breeze or whatever it's called from tidy cats.. the one w/ the pea pads on the bottom and the pellets. sounds nice, but I know he'd be pooping on the carpet.. lol as for pics- uh.. lol nah! :))!
  • Brittany BolinBrittany Bolin Member Posts: 7
    edited 11 April, 2012
    That's what I did too. Plus the storage containers are so much cheaper than a huge litter box.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 11 April, 2012
    I used a Sterilite clear container for Smitty cause he is just so big & Tigger likes to dig to the center of the earth. I too notice it muche easier to scoop cause they can't hit the bottom. Maizy for some reason won't use it, but I think it is cuz in her thoughts it has "boy stink". :))
    edited 11 April, 2012
    Yep, a sterilite box. It is blue though- clear might look a lil fancier.. Just out of curiosity, what did you all use to cut it? I wish I had a utility knife to cut it- it was hard and took a long time, using dh's big pocket knife. :)) what litter do you guys use?
  • Mary WaltersMary Walters Milton KeynesMember Posts: 6,959
    edited 13 April, 2012
    I didn't cut it down at all. A customer at the shop where worked told me to use them as she had a load of foster cats at the time.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 14 April, 2012
    I did not cut it. I got the 55qt size, then I flip the lid upside down & set the box on it to help catch litter crumbs. I use TidyCat multiple cat, I like how it works, but I wish it came unscented. I have tried so many types & I keep going back to that one. I want to try Dr Elseys though.
  • Christie BrownChristie Brown Member Posts: 231
    edited 14 April, 2012
    We also were Tidy Cat fans but wanted to find something unscented. We really love Fresh Step Multi-Cat Scoopable Unscented. It actually isn't 100% free of scent, but has much less scent than the Tidy Cat. And when used side by side with Tidy Cat the cats greatly preferred it. We like it much better than Dr. Esley's (which we had slight odor problems with.) Its one weakness is that it is a bit dusty.
  • ALLEYCATANGELALLEYCATANGEL Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
    edited 15 April, 2012
    Oh hey yea I like them too mom read about this years ago on a multicat household sight pre-catster days and now that is what we use the most. We have some regular ones and three of the storage boxes and the three storage boxes get used all the time. There are now only 4 of us (used to be six) and we had 7 pans at one time MOL (2 were outside in the enclosure and five inside) We just cut a "door" into the front of the box. At first my dad cut a "door" into the lid so we had to juump in from the top but we did not like it to much so we use the front "door" We like the the the arm n hammer corn silk litter mom also has some boxes with arm and hammer original but it is kinda dusty some of us kitties still like it.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 16 April, 2012
    Just out of curiosity, why didnt you just remove the entire top instead of cutting 3/4 of it away? I used to have a very large covered box, and found my cats like the top off, plus it gets more air to circulate, it dont keep the stinkies within. MOL.
    edited 19 April, 2012
    Oh okay!! Tidy cat multiple, I'll buy that next, thanks. I'd like to try the precious cat too, bit it's not local.
    edited 19 April, 2012
    oops- i didn't see all these replies on my phone! I am thunking myself in the head for not thinking of just making a door hole. *THUNK* I think I didn't explain it well. I cut the whole top off, about 3/4 of the way down.. is that better? maybe I DO need to take pics. mol