Suckling at 6 months old

ekaterina dobryakovaekaterina dobryakova harrisonMember Posts: 38
edited 16 August, 2012 in Kitten Corner
Dear catster community, I have two cats. One of the is a teenage kitten of almost 6 months old and she periodically suckles on the older cat. The older cat definitely cannot produce milk, so, as far as i understand, the suckling behavior of the smaller cat can be explained as a that she needs a pacifier and was not properly weaned. After suckling, the kitten only licks the food and doesn't chew it. I guess, expecting liquid food instead. I was wondering whether someone can advise on the problem. Does that behavior stops after neutering? I bought taste deterrent that I wanted to put on the older cat, but that might prevent her from cleaning herself...

Comments

• Mary WaltersMary Walters Milton KeynesMember Posts: 6,959
    edited 16 August, 2012
    I have 2 that suckle the earlobes of my son and myself. Ginge is almost 3 and Charlie is 4 months. I just let them get on with it. I doubt your female will put up with it much longer tbh, thier teeth hurt.