Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Why's Royal Canin Bad?

Sara DanielsSara Daniels Member Posts: 225
edited 23 October, 2012 in Food & Nutrition
Hello, So I know Royal Canin isn't that amazing of a cat food, if anyone could list the reasons why so I can show a friend to get her to switch. It would help to include scientific evidence and such, maybe a bit about why each ingredient is bad, Thanks! Here are the ingredients: Corn, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, wheat gluten, wheat, chicken meal, chicken fat, powdered cellulose, natural flavors, soy protein isolate, chicory, fish oil, vegetable oil, and then the rest is added vitamins and such.

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 18 October, 2012
    Lots of commercial brands of dry food is bad for cats, nost just Royal Canin. Point your friend to Catinfo.org to read up on proper cat nutrition and why dry food is so bad. Dry food is a cheap convenince item for pet owners. Like junk loaded unhealthy tv dinners instead of a good homecooked meal made with fresh ingredients. For one thing, cats are obligate carnivores and the NEED meat in their diet. Meat needs to be the number 1 ingredient in a cat's food. In the Royal Canin food you listed, chicken meal is the 6th ingredient. The further down the list an ingredient is means that there is not very much of that ingredient in the food. Chicken meal is ok but not a great source of meat. Wheat gluten is an allergen to many cats. Anything plant based, like corn and rice, are just cheap fillers. Powdered cellulose is basically powdered wood pulp. Yuck :-/ I think a good web site to learn more about various pet food ingredients is called Truthaboutpetfood.com or something like that :-k
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 18 October, 2012
    Here is the web site: http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/ There's a list somewhere that explains what common pet food ingredients really are :-k
  • Romeo RhettRomeo Rhett Member Posts: 25
    edited 18 October, 2012
    For these reasons: Corn, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, wheat gluten, wheat. The first 5 ingredients should include meat. www.catinfo.org is a good resource if you want to teach your friend about cat nutrition.
  • Liz_Giz_Spirit_FaithLiz_Giz_Spirit_Faith SevernMember Posts: 76,126 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 October, 2012
    know what i don't understand? royal canin, hills, these prescription foods...the ingredients are not good, but yet they are good for our health? Sorry...I was diagnosed with CRF and I hate that I have to eat it. I have eaten Wellness and now to change to Hills or Royal Canin doesn't sit well with me. I will say this...my beagle sister had to eat Royal Canin for urinary tract issues and she never got another UTI. She will be the first to say it helped, but I just don't understand why these manufacturers of prescription food don't put in better ingredients....oh and it's expensive too! :-O