Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

freaked out after brothers illness

Jenna DradyJenna Drady ottawaMember Posts: 1,141
edited 6 February, 2013 in Behavior & Training
Kiki is acting very strange with her brother lately... His name is Winter and he is recovering from a urinary blockage. He has been secluded to our bedroom for a week while recovering so we can keep a close eye on him. The last couple days though we have decided to let him come out in the day time so he can resume his normal life. Kiki wont let him him go anywhere near her. Any time he even so much as walks by her she slaps him and hisses like crazy. am just wondering if anybody knows why this might be and what I could do to help? Thank you in advance =;

Comments

• Jenna DradyJenna Drady ottawaMember Posts: 1,141
    edited 5 February, 2013
    somebody? ....... anybody? .....:-k
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 5 February, 2013
    He may smell different to Kiki because he was in the bedroom, or have some sort of smell from the infection or medication given to him. What I had read other CATSTER members suggesting is to take an old towel or t-shirt and first rub Kiki with it and then rub her brother with the same towel or t-shirt. This usuall seems to calm the "Scary Cat". Hope it helps. The New Orleans Kitties:-h
    edited 5 February, 2013
    O.k I will try that, thank you very much...she has started to warm up to him a bit more but still acting a little off with him. Thanks again =;
  • Lee Ann KoffinasLee Ann Koffinas OrlandoMember Posts: 346
    edited 5 February, 2013
    Hmmm, I wonder if it's the smell from being at the vet, or like someone else suggested, the medicine, or he smells different, from being sick? Hopefully it will pass. Some people swear by feliway for things like this, like the plug in or the room spray, but I have it and have never found it to help, and it's a little expensive. Maybe you will just have to keep them separated when you are not able to watch them, until Winter is feeling completely back to normal? I hope it gets better soon.
    edited 6 February, 2013
    Yea, we are definitely keeping and eye on them, and when we leave Winter just goes back in his bedroom, so they are not alone together, she is getting a bit better so hopefully it will get back to normal soon, thanks Beep =;