Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

How long can a 6-month old kitten be home alone for?

Anne Louise FrandsenAnne Louise Frandsen Member Posts: 4
edited 30 March, 2013 in Cats & Travel
She's a pretty chilled kitten, spends most of her time napping. She doesn't gorge on food either. I'm planning to leave her Tuesday afternoon around 4pm, have our neighbour check in on her Wednesday, and my boyfriend comes home Thursday morning. I'd leave out two clean litter pans and lots of water and appropriate amount of kibble, feed her wet food just before leaving and have our neighbour feed her wet food Wednesday and replenish her water bowls. Would this be acceptable? I also have the option of leaving Wednesday evening but I would prefer leaving Tuesday.

Comments

• Lee Ann KoffinasLee Ann Koffinas OrlandoMember Posts: 346
    edited 19 March, 2013
    I think your kitty will be just fine. I think having a neighbor check on her Wednesday is a great idea. Make sure she has several water sources, in case she knocks one over. My kitten will get in the garbage if there is anything the slightest bit stinky, so if that is a concern, make sure there is no garbage. Does she have a collar? My daughter's kitten at that age almost died when he got his collar stuck around his neck and in his mouth, so I would never leave a collar on a cat....I personally hate them, but if your cat were outdoors, then I would be ok with one, but not indoors. Kind of baby proof your house a bit, make sure the things that she likes to get into are secure. I'm sure your kitten will be fine, and a check on Wed from the neighbor is a great idea, if they can do that. She will probably be mewing like crazy at them and enjoy the visit, and when you get home, she will probably not leave you alone and you will get lots of cuddles and love from her. You are a very good kitty mom :)
  • Anne Louise FrandsenAnne Louise Frandsen Member Posts: 4
    edited 21 March, 2013
    Thanks Beep it's so good to hear some qualified feedback! We haven't left her for longer than 6-7 hours so far, so I was a little nervous about whether or not it would be ok - she's grown so much that I sometimes forget that she's still just a teenager. The neighbour (they have a cat that we look after too when they're gone, so we're lucky) will check on her Wednesday morning and evening, and with my boyfriend coming home Thursday morning she will hopefully not care too much. She's never been a troublemaker, she doesn't wear a collar and when we got her I hysterically removed anything that might pose the slightest risk to her like plants and dangling cords so I think Truffles is set for her first nights alone :-)
  •  Member Posts: 47
    edited 30 March, 2013
    She should be fine. :) Definitely just have someone check in and spend a couple minutes giving her pets on Wednesday.