Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Agressive behavior

cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
edited 31 August, 2005 in Behavior & Training
I have a kitten (almost 5 months) and a 9-year-old cat. I recently joined an animal rescue group and today picked up a 6-7 week old kitten to foster. I brought her home and my older cat smelled her and hissed ... no big deal. But my kitten was so excited. She started chasing the new kitten and standing over her (the little one fits under her legs) and pinning her down. She bites some, but she also licks her. It\'s not that she\'s being mean, she seems to just want to play hard (she\'s pretty rough). The little kitten does not like this and tries to hide. I put her in a large bathroom (with litter, food, water, bed). I\'m not going to keep the kitten ... it\'s just a foster situation, though I have no idea how long it will last. Should I just leave her in the BR for a few days and just spend time with her there? How can I get my older kitten to ease up and not be so rough?

Comments

• Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Daisy, You might want to check out a thread called Adopting and Adapting and this may help you!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I think your big kitten is too young to understand that she can\'t play the games she enjoys with the baby kitten. It\'s like a 6-year-old human trying to play with an infant. She means well, but she doesn\'t understand. You could try wearing out the big kitten with a feather toy (or whatever she enjoys) before you allow her around the baby. She may be too tired at that point for anymore rough play. You also may be able to impress upon the older kitten that the small kitten is your baby and you\'re her mama . When she gets rough with the baby, snatch up the little kitten, hum at the older kitten, and rub your face on the baby\'s head. That tells the big kitten that she\'s not just messing with the kitten. She is messing with you and you are the biggest, baddest cat around.
  • Rachel SegalRachel Segal AuroraMember Posts: 47
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We've gone through this process a couple times now, first when we introduced Penny at 8 weeks to her (then) 4 month old brothers, and then a month later with MJ at 12 weeks....interestingly, Penny delt with the roughhousing much better than MJ at first. Definitely the suggestion to wear your 5 month old out before she plays with the little one is a great idea. Also, feeding all the kitties together is a great bonding exercise...they begin to associate good things with each other. If you find that the bigger kitten starts to get too rough, a loud noise (like clapping your hands) should break through her excitement. When they are together, stay in a smaller room or area of the house, so the little kitten can't run as far or fast, which will only make your 5 month old more excited. Over the next few days, I wouldn't be surprised if two things happen. One, your 5 month old will get used to the idea of the little tyke and not get quite as riled up while trying to play. Two, the little one will catch on to her foster big sister's antics and start chasing her around! Even when they are playing normally, it may seem a bit rough and tumble. They'll tackle, chase, bite, and kick each other...but as long as there's no hissing or growling (which was a problem with MJ for the first few days...she didn't like being pinned to the ground one bit) then things are fine. Don't be surprised if the little one tricks you a few times into thinking that she's being smothered by your 5 month old...the babies will sometimes cry bloodly murder for you to break it up, only to then run up and attack their older sibling in retaliation. Just all part of the kitten-y goodness....=) Have fun!!
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess the eating together is what worked, because after a day or two, the kittens became best buddies. If Daisy got too rough, I just would say "EASY!" and she would ease up. She's a smart little cat. It's all moot now because the baby got adopted. :-( Daisy and I are very sad. But my big kitty Sophie says "HA! One down and one to go!" :-)