Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Kitty Has Finally Converted To All Canned Food!

Diane AndersonDiane Anderson Member Posts: 47
edited 23 May, 2013 in Food & Nutrition
Hello, I am new here and I just had to tell someone, this was a hard fought battle. Hubby and I adopted our little tortie girl (our first female kitty after years of only boys) just over two years ago. She came home with a bag of Science Diet dry and I changed her over to Wellness Core. Well as we had always free fed the boys without them becoming fat hubby fell for Cali's little hula dance every time she was hungry and he would feed her. Well you know what happened, a few months later she was now on SD r/d to lose weight. And she did but after two years I had to get her off of that stuff. I slowly transitioned her to Blue Buffalo Freedom which she liked but still...... I wanted to try again with the canned food. You see, I had tried to get her onto wet food after we adopted her, I tried all the brands and she turned them down cold. Two weeks ago I decided to try again, this time with cans of Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Merrick BG chicken etc, basically all of the pate' varieties. And she wouldn't touch them. The skunks ended up eating well instead. On a chance I picked up Blue Buffalo chunk chicken and Wellness cubed chicken, both are in a gravy which I really didn't want to buy. (I want to also add that several years ago i did have her try some Fancy Feasts in gravy and Wellness Healthy Indulgent pouches that a neighbor gave me, she didnt touch any of it.) Well to my utter amazement she ate them like she had never enjoyed her food before. Hubby and I were pleased and shocked, after all this time we found food she loves. We started out with one meal a day of wet, the other two being dry then Sunday after she puked her dry we decided to go with all wet. You see she takes atenolol twice daily as she was diagnosed with HCM in October and after her 2nd ultrasound in April the cardiologist put her the med. Fortunately she loves pill pockets and there has been no issue taking her meds in one of them, in fact it is the first thing she eats =D> So as of Sunday morning she had all three meals wet food but this is where I am a bit confused. I have noticed that she is peeing more, I mean she used to go about twice a day pretty good size pees and now I am counting three to five, some are smaller than they used to be but not ridiculously small. Also she scared me by having no bowel movement from Monday morning until this morning (Wednesday) when she has always gone once a day. It was nice and firm though, no signs of the runs at all. I also noticed that she didnt drink water from her bowl while eating the wet food. I always refill several times a day with Brita filtered water I had to give the dry food this morning because of a thunder storm that wouldnt move on and I had to get her med dose into her quickly between rumbles. Sure enough there she was at the water dish twice. I know that the foods with gravy are not the best choice but if that is the only canned food she will eat what am I to do? I really want her off the kibble and it's taken years to achieve that, I should be happy and relieved yet here I am a mass of nerves. I guess my questions are do kitties on all canned food pee more? Do they poop less? I am careful with her calorie consumption (we use a measure cup with the kibble) and she just had her complete vet checkup w/blood work in late March it all came back fine. Sorry to make such a long first post but i am only trying to give this little girl the best life possible. She spent her first 5 years in an abusive home with people who did nothing but yell and kick at her. She didnt even know how to play and it took a good year before she learned how to love. I love her so much, I hope I am not hurting her by trying to help her. Thank you all for listening

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 22 May, 2013
    Canned foods have a high water content so most cats get all their water intake from that :) You can even add extra water to the food. Drinking from a bowl may still happen on occasion. But I don't think a canned food would cause an increase in urination :? Are the pee clumps large and hard to scoop because it's sticky? Does the pee smell sugary? That can indicate diabetes. Maybe take the cat to the vet for a check up just in case :-k A fructosamine test will determine if your cat has diabetes or not. If the test comes back negative, then I wouldn't worry about the slight increase in peeing. Canned food is more digestible than dry food so you may see less poop. Some cats normally poop daily, others may only poop every other day. If you see straining in the litter box, then your cat might be constipated. What dry food are you feeding? Blue Buffalo? It's around 300 calories per cup, likely more :? Definitely limit the amount you give so your cat dosen't gain weight. Could you feed mostly canned food with a limited amount of dry food? Or instead of the dry food, feed crunchy (and healthier) freeze dried raw food? Catinfo.org has more info about proper nutition for cats =; Gravy foods aren't bad. They're not good for diabetics since they too high in carbs but if you don't have diabetes, I wouldn't worry about it :) You can try mixing the gravy into pate/loaf style canned food to make it more appealing.
  • Diane AndersonDiane Anderson Member Posts: 47
    edited 22 May, 2013
    (Thank you Merlin for taking the time to reply. My mommy worries about me so much, I think it's because she is afraid she will not have me long after the heartbreak of losing Happy cat after only two years after adopting him). The Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free is 363 calories vs Science Diet r/d at 263. She was eating a total of 2/3 cups a day at 3 feedings with four 2 calorie treats in between. Before choosing the BB I read alot of websites to get calorie counts etc, it was the best number I could find in a grain free kibble without fish. But now that she seems to like the wet food we are only going to feed dry on occasion. When checking calories she can have two 3 oz or one 5 1/2 oz can Wellness cubed chicken and it is less calories than dry . The pee clumps are as they were before, not sticky or sugary. Sometimes regular size and a few have been smaller. last night a clap of thunder interrupted a pee and she apparently returned to the box to finish. Many years ago our boy Lawrence became diabetic. As he didnt like the clumping litter I had to use clay and believe me, that cat would pee a river. I had to change the box twice a week and it would be soaked. As an aside, because Cali had the kibble this morning and late last night she has only peed twice since 5 am, the last time about 12 hours ago. It sounds nutty but I keep a daily journal of her food/meds/litter activity etc. I learned to do that with our last kitty Happy who was so ill.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 23 May, 2013
    What I have always heard is that a cat fed solely dry food will never drink enough water to be properly hydrated. This is because our domestic cats arose from small desert cats who obtained all of their moisture from food and do not naturally have a strong thirst drive. This is one of the reasons it is best to feed only "wet" foods, i.e. canned or raw. It therefore makes sense to me that your cat would have a higher urine output on an all canned food diet than on an all kibble diet. I would say not to worry about this unless you see her straining on the litter box or see the signs of diabetes that Merlin already mentioned (or that you know about from your own experience). As for the poop, again, because there is a higher moisture content in canned food and the usable nutrients are more densely packed in the food, it makes sense that there is less excretable waste, i.e. poop. More of the food is digested and doesn't have to be disposed of. Congratulations on switching Cali to a wet diet! Purrs, Shade
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 23 May, 2013
    Also, if the only canned she'll eat has gravy then that is still more desirable than going back to feeding her kibble. If you want, once she is fully established on her canned diet and settled with it, you can try incorporating some pate style foods into it, just mix in a little, then a little more, etc. and you can see if she notices. I thought that you might find this site interesting if you haven't seen it before. http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 23 May, 2013
    Here are some food charts that you can use to find exact nutritional content of food =; http://catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf Pet Food Nutritional Values list Hobo's Guide to Nutritional Values Binky's canned food list (This one is several years old so the info most likely is no longer accurate) Pet food labels have pretty useless information :? The info in the charts above were calculated using "as fed" numbers obtained (sometimes with difficulty) from the pet food manufacturer. Most canned foods are under 100 calories :) I wouldn't worry too much about urine output as long as the cat is otherwise healthy :) Human's two cats only pee maybe 2 or 3 times a day and poop almost every day. Both eat raw food.
  • Diane AndersonDiane Anderson Member Posts: 47
    edited 23 May, 2013
    Thank you Merlin & Shade, you are both such beautiful kitties and so very smart :h: I did found a couple of those food charts through the old google search but I had not seen the Hobo list or the pet food Nutritional Value list. I admit I find them a bit difficult to follow. The Maxshouse site was good too. Took Shade's suggestion and mixed some Wellness pate' style with a new can of Blue Buffalo chunky chick & turkey for her 6pm "snack". Cali ate it ~r~ but she also noticed and gave me "THE LOOK" And I think all cat parents know what THAT is :)) And now that someone has a full belly it's grooming & nap time :^: