Kitten never mews

Emily CarringtonEmily Carrington Member Posts: 425
edited 5 August, 2013 in Kitten Corner
My kitten never mews. Like, ever. I've had him since he was 6 weeks - he's 16 weeks now - and I've heard him mew twice. Once, the morning after I adopted him and I had put him in the other room and he was very excited to meet me and be fed! And two, when he climbed to the top of the mattress in the storage area and couldn't get down. Is he broken? Why won't he talk to me? He purrs a lot.

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 13 July, 2013
    Every cat is different. Some cats do mew but it's so soft that you just can't hear it :? Other cats are just silent. There's nothing medically wrong with them, they're just quiet cats :? Like people. Some people are loud and talkative, others are quiet and reserved. And there are some cats who will only audibly meow when they want something. Don't worry about the not meowing. Just enjoy having your new kitten =;
  • Amber MartinAmber Martin WartburgMember Posts: 179
    edited 13 July, 2013
    Bubbles can meow, hiss, cry, yowl, and mew. She is very vocal and her emotional weather can be determined by the noises she is making. :D Bastian is her silent partner. :))! He purrs, a whole bunch. But he barely meows. He only meows at meal times, and his meow is a deep, scratchy, quiet meow. It is barely heard unless my house is silent at 8:30 am.:? My little cats are polar opposites. But a quiet kitty isn't unusual.
  • Stephanie WheatleyStephanie Wheatley Stillwater, OKMember Posts: 129
    edited 5 August, 2013
    We had a cat who didn't meow except when he was on the hunt (this was when he was allowed outside). He purred like nobody's business, but he didn't meow. I now have one who meows as loudly as any cat I've ever owned, but he doesn't vocalize his purrs. Just like any other trait, there are all kinds of cats out there. It makes the world go 'round....