Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

What is she trying to tell us?

Mittens ZinoMittens Zino Member Posts: 74
edited 9 September, 2013 in Behavior & Training
We have a female kitten aprox 12 weeks old. we have had her just over a month. She is great and we love her lots but we are having an issue. peeing, where we sleep or even on us. This started when we changed her litter, us new pet parents got her a different type of litter that she had before and she did not like. that night we feel asleep on the couch and she jumped on my husband sleeping and peeped on him. we changed the litter back and problem solved.She became to big for her box so we got her a new one, she used it when we were up no problem but we went to sleep in our bed we wake up to the smell of cat pee, on my husband again. we figured there was not much we can do, she has to get used to it and we had no other problems until today. this afternoon we were laying down when we smelled cat pee. we found two spots where our pillows were on the mattress. now, i don't know when this happened because i didn't notice anything wet when we woke up and it was dried when we found it. also, we keep her out of our room when were gone. Now, what is the deal? is she upset? Not happy? She is a kitten so her mood does change often, she will be super playful attacking us, then scared and puffy for no reason. its hard to read because she is still little. she is becoming more affectionate so i think she is happy? she has a bed she tries to "Nurse" and kneads at it, is she missing her mom? she will often do that after she comes and rubs up at us. is all this connected? what can we do?

Comments

• stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 September, 2013
    Sounds like she is definitely trying to tell you something. Have you taken her to the vet to make sure it is not a health issue? Inappropriate peeing is quite a problem to have to deal with, be sure to handle the situation with a calm demeanor, making a big issue of it could make the problem worse. Use a good urine smell remover product where she has peed to get rid of the odor to discourage her from using that spot again. Make sure she has plenty of toys to keep her occupied while you are gone. Hope the problem goes away, she is still a baby and still learning.
  • Catherine BogartCatherine Bogart San JoseMember Posts: 767
    edited 9 September, 2013
    She may have too much space right now. Sometimes when they're quite small, kittens don't make it back to the litterbox if they have too much space available. IF she currently has the run of the house, I'd restrict her to one room with a litterbox for a few days, then slowly expand her territory out. You can also add more litterboxes so that it's easy for her to find one if she has to go in a pinch, and 'kitten attract' litter is not a miracle fix, but it very helpful in building good box habits. :)