Male NEUTERED cat humping us?

Jennie NickersonJennie Nickerson Member Posts: 15
edited 16 September, 2013 in Behavior & Training
Parker just turned 1, and he was neutered at 5 months. However, he has this habit of bringing us his toys in his mouth, dropping them on our lap or near our feet, then leaping onto our arms/legs and humping us. When we try to stop him, he gets very angry and makes these loud agitated meowing noises. He'll bite us if we try to disturb him. We never let him "finish", because we find the whole thing very weird and awkward. He's neutered, so why is he acting like this? Is this a dominance thing? Why does he pair bringing us his toys with humping us right after? :/

Comments

• Janet WestJanet West StroudMember Posts: 2,239
    edited 14 September, 2013
    What a weird thing...!! Our cat Jimmy occasionally tries to hump Auntie Miss Lillie...but she always 'wops' him and sends him away....!! Which is no help to you whatever, but does make us laugh....!! Good luck with your search for an answer...I will keep looking on your thread to see what other people say....!! Jan |/h/||/h/||/h/|
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    Humping is a dominance thing although in cats I've only seen it between cats and not a cat to human. I found the best way to correct any serious misbehavior in cats is the way the mother cat does: hold them by the scruff (back of the neck). In a small kitten you can actually hold them off their feet, but in an adult, just scruff them in whatever position they are in. (I also verbally tell them "no" or "stop" or "bad boy", etc.) My cats have always submitted so I hold them for only a few seconds, then release them. Usually, they will jump away from you. In your case, I would pick up the toy he brought you and encourage him to play, because you want him to play with you without the humping.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    FIRST, let me say that even though I am NOT neutered, I have never humped any people!!!!! ( I don't spay either) OK, now that everyone knows I am a good boy, I wonder if a teeny bit of 'something' didn't get left...but that doesn't sound right either. I think he's bored, maybe? If not, , anxiety may be the problem. Try wearing him out playing interactively with the toys, don't expect him to entertain himself. Get fishing pole/wand ones, with and without sound--we say SMALL items on the end of the wand/string attract cats, BIG ones attract people and are too tacky to play with. Feathers are usually best and safest. Super bounce balls or wiffle balls in the bathtub (no water) , 'fling a ma string' cardboard scratchy with catnip are all favorites her, as well as paper bags with or without catnip. There are a good many cats here, and Meowma says no one has humped her (ESPECIALLY me!), or used it to be 'dominant', that is for dogs who are gross anyway as I am sure you know already. Cats have hierarchies if there is a family group is present but no true alpha etc as with dogs. Lack of other stimulation is the usual reason for cat behavior like this. If all else fails, find a vet that works with CAT behavior issues, sometimes a kitty just needs a little something. I know you don't want a drugged acting cat but things like BuSpar are very helpful without sedation for anxious cats.
  • Jennie NickersonJennie Nickerson Member Posts: 15
    edited 15 September, 2013
    Thanks for the answers, everyone! I think it might be a dominance issue, since Mr.Parker likes to think he's the big boss of the house. I also think he might be bored, since there are no kitty playmates around (there will be, but not until we move out into a bigger place.) I'll try grabbing his scruff next time he does it, and telling him a firm "no." He has a vet appointment for a check-up next month, so we'll ask the vet about it too. :)
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 15 September, 2013
    I say just grab him and put him on the floor, no need to scruff or otherwise 'punish' him --but people are different. Meowma thinks 'punishment' should just be putting us away, no getting physical. Of course Burms are NEVER 'bad' but if Meowma gets moixed up and thinks we are,time out for 5 in the bathroom usually makes us find something else to do. We say, FIRST try setting him down and distracting with the wand toy! I still think Parker is just bored.
  • Jennie NickersonJennie Nickerson Member Posts: 15
    edited 16 September, 2013
    I agree. The worst punishment for a cat is to just ignore it. They HATE that! :))
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 16 September, 2013
    My Hunter does this. Not a lot but its definitely getting less and less. I know for Hunter, he was bored. It only started within the past 3 months or so. Hunty is 3, almost 4 and has been neutered since he was 4 months old. He only does it at night, and on my arms. I don't let him finish either, as his claws are sharp and he'll bite my arm to "get a grip" so to speak. I usually just push him off, and although he seems irritated, he'll go lay down. I bought him 2 of his favorite wand toy, and we've been playing with that everyday. Since then, now that I think of it, he hasn't tried to hump my arms. =;