Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Need help deciding what is the best food for my kitten.

Jessica AlmeidaJessica Almeida TorontoMember Posts: 26
edited 11 October, 2013 in Food & Nutrition
Hello All So last week I got a kitten, she is 6 weeks old now and for the week I've had her I've been feeding her friskies wet food. I know its not the greatest brand so I did some research and a lot of people seem to praise Blue Wilderness. I went to get 3 cans of it today to see if she likes it and if she doesn't Ill try adding it to the food she has been eating to ease her into it. I want to know what are your opinions on Blue Wilderness or any other cat/kitten food that would benefit her health. I also bought her the treats from blue wilderness and friskies and she isn't interested in either of them. Is it normal for a kitten to not like treats? Also I know a lot of people are into the Raw food diet but it is out of the question for us. Thanks.

Comments

• Nadia K- WattsNadia K- Watts WaterlooMember Posts: 1,340
    edited 10 October, 2013
    Some great foods: Weruva, BFF, Tiki, Almo Natural, Nature's Variety Instinct, Wellness Core Friskies has dyes, grains, and fillers, which is what makes it a poor choice in my opinion. I prefer to look for foods with no grain, by-products, fillers, dyes, artificial flavours, chemical preservatives. Your cat may still be adjusting to her new home and not ready to switch foods yet. I'd try giving her a few more days with her old food, then gradually mixing in the new food. It could also be that she simply does not like the new flavour. She might might not like the treats, or she may just still be anxious from the move. 6 weeks is also really young for a new pet, so I'd just give her some time to adjust.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 10 October, 2013
    Any canned food, preferably grain-free =; No dry food at all uless it's only a very small amount left out for snacking. There really is no "best" commerical food, dry or canned :? Many contain ingredietns that cats don't need in their diets, like fruits and veggies. Lots of brands are nothing but junk fillers. The general rule is to feed the highest quality food that cat likes to eat :) Of course, it has to be affordable for you and easily found in the local stores unless you want to buy online and pay for shipping. Blue Buffalo is good =; Lots of people here feed that :) The Wilderness one is the grain-free line. Have you had a chance to read through previous threads? There's a lot just from the past month on good canned food suggestions. http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/783984 http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/784140 http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/784987 http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/783252 Your kitten might just not be interested in treats right now. It's ok :) When she's older, you can try offering treats again. Besides commerical treats, plain cooked chicken is usually a big hit with cats :) Human poaches chicken in plain water for Leroy and Emma.
  • Mittens ZinoMittens Zino Member Posts: 74
    edited 11 October, 2013
    We have a fairly new kitten and going through the same thing with the food. One thing I can say is that mittens in her diva~ness will NOT eat just any old treats. She wants blue buffalo savory Salmon. Yet, she does not like any kind of food with tuna :?
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 11 October, 2013
    Dry foods and treats are often coated in stuff that makes it irresistible to cats :? It's usually animal digest. That's why many cats get addicted to eating dry food and will not eat canned :? There's probably some old Catster threads on treats to feed. Some good commerical treats to feed to a cat are 100% freeze dried meat or fish, like Halo Liv A Littles and WildSide Salmon. The occasional "junky" treat like Whisker Lickens or Pounce is ok. Some cats like canned tuna (the kind in water, not oil) or salmon but others don't. I should have mentioned this in my previous post - Limit seafood canned foods to once in awhile meals. Too much seafood can result in a cat who will not eat anything else :? Seafood is also low in protein. Cats have a high protein requirement. Some types of fish may contain mercury.
  • Jessica AlmeidaJessica Almeida TorontoMember Posts: 26
    edited 11 October, 2013
    Thanks so much for your advice guys! I actually didnt have to ease her into at all. I gave her a small sample of it this morning and she gobbled it all up! She really liked it!