Same death pattern of all kittens?! Why...?

Weis KeiWeis Kei Member Posts: 3
edited 26 December, 2013 in Cat Health
Greetings, I'm Kei. I'm a STRAY kitten adopter, mostly found abandoned in card boxes, and also we hold a cat shelter. How do I start... um... Either I am inexperienced in caring kittens, or something isn't right... Many kittens that I adopt, are died in a very same death pattern, well, maybe not exactly, but they all die in "suffocation". I've searched for answers, and the cause is Feline infectious peritonitis. ... Over 40 kittens died in suffocation, fluids accumulate in lungs. I can tell because... Some of them puke when they drew their last breath, they puke three, four, or even ten times at once, and they stop breathing. One of them gradually becomes thinner and thinner, weaker and weaker, and suddenly collapses from standing and passed away. Many did not begin suffocation process until we fed him/her rehydration salt or glucose... Believe be, these two solution is only what we feed when they have diarrhea-- another one is Smecta. There was about a few of them manage to be saved by feeding them rehydration salt and rubbing their chest while they are in the middle of suffocation. Even we did save them, in the end, they also died in suffocation, and vomit... There was one baby kitten, he was in middle of suffocation and we somehow saved it, this is something that is considered impossible. Then later, he grew healthy... Then it became weaker, and weaker, having constant diarrhea and died in suffocation again. It's all the cause of diarrhea as well. Also, we're EXTREMELY poor, we're struggling to survive, at the same time struggling to save them. When their diarrhea worsen, they lose appetite. ... We're so damn poor that we are feeding them cow milk and treating-diarrhea stuff like Smecta. We still can afford medicine, but we can't afford to bring them to a vet, mostly the sick ones. There's a few times the vet were complete dumbfound failures. We can't rely on them anymore. This isn't any ordinary country. ... So... What is going on? Is it really all caused by FIP? Or is there anyway we can help them?

Comments

• Laura HeurungLaura Heurung Member Posts: 1
    edited 8 December, 2013
    I can't help from a expertise standpoint, but I would suggest stop taking kittens in unless you can feed them and care for them properly. They will survive and have a better chance at life if you bring them to a real shelter where people can properly medicate them. How many kittens have survived from your rescuing? Just curious, from your post it sounds like all have passed.
  • Weis KeiWeis Kei Member Posts: 3
    edited 8 December, 2013
    I have taken in over 60+ kittens. 30+ survived, and 30+ passed away. When one has caught FIP, it gets complicated because we don't know whether if they've caught one or not, because their symptoms are so similar; Lost appetite, WAIST thinning, not lively. In occasions, they will get diarrhea. Feeding them diarrhea treating medicine actually helps that we believe, while some doesn't get better and eventually dies from excessive diarrhea. ... Some were actually SO fast that they begin, they'll get thinner, and weaker, then suffocation within a day of two after stopping eating. Another thing is that, we're very pessimistic. We strongly doubt there's any better cat shelter out there in our area. It would be great, but none of our relatives know anything. ... If we stop taking kittens in... Then no one will. Everyone is unkind in my country... If not, no one will dump kittens. So... What is going on? Is it really all caused by FIP? Or is there anyway we can help them? It would be useful to recognize FIP in a better way.
  • Elizabeth OwensElizabeth Owens Member Posts: 58
    edited 9 December, 2013
    I think you said you are feeding them milk? Cats can't tolerate milk, they are actually lactose intolerant and that will cause major diarrhea. Stop with the milk, clean water will more than suffice. (Note: If we are talking about wee kittens taken from their mother too soon they need a special type of milk, bought at a pet food store. But only temporarily until they are of age to eat regular food. Afterwards it is water, no cow's milk.) Some people here may not agree with me, but if there are no rescue shelters around it might be better to take them to the pound if you truly can't afford to properly care for them. At least there tehy will be put down quickly vs dying a slow painful death.
  • Christine LaverieChristine Laverie Member Posts: 305
    edited 9 December, 2013
    Actually, I totally agree with you Mya! Very good info you gave. Exactly what they needed to hear. ;)
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 9 December, 2013
    When you say suffocation what exactly do you mean? If it doesn't happen until you give them the rehydration fluids there is a chance that you are getting the fluids into their lungs. Diarrhea is not generally a symptoms of FIP although it can be, and FIP is not super highly contagious so I think you have something else going on. If you can't afford vet care, you really should not be rescuing these kittens as it definitely sounds like they need vet care.
  • Weis KeiWeis Kei Member Posts: 3
    edited 10 December, 2013
    ... I forgot to mention, I don't just bring in Kittens, I bring in mostly BABY kittens, they're so small that they can't take in solid food yet. Letting them live a is better than starving to death, at least we tried, we gave them chance. we tried. But indeed, the suffocation death is...... It is something we want to avoid. Special type of milk from pet store, right, we fed them those Lactose-free milk, similar to goat milk, actually, we tried to feed them goat milk, it has labeled "Lactose-free and alternative to mother milk". But they still get diarrhea, all the time, and in the end there's nothing I know could do. All kittens we've cared poop yellow stool. The next reason why it's always FIP because it's like a chain reaction, when one has been infected, it spreads to one another. One dies after another. I brought in two baby kitten families, The 12 and The 18. The first only 11 passed away suffocation, and miraculously, 1 survived. For the 18, 2 survived, 16 dimmed away. Milk bottles and needle-less syringe are shared, the spread of FIP was unknown. All the kittens and adult cats are separated, of course, until a certain age they'll be placed with the adult cats. ... Newborns are just being dump away like that, merciless. Does that mean I should leave them, starving to death, being ignored like a lump of trash? I brought in 4 kittens, they're unusually gigantic, but they're still like babies. And of course we're trying not to feed them milk too much, but they're eager for it, two of them are refusing solid food. ... It would be great if there's anyone could support us through donation.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 10 December, 2013
    How often are you feeding them? Are you feeding them while they are on their backs? Yellow Stool usually indicates a bacterial imbalance in the bowel, it can also indicate something like Coccidia. I highly doubt it is FIP as the symptoms don't fit. This is an excellent resource for raising orphan kittens. Raising Orphan Kittens
  • Greg StawinogaGreg Stawinoga So. HollandMember Posts: 1,000
    edited 19 December, 2013
    if you are looking for help, here is a link too a place that might be able to help. or, maybe send you in the right direction. spcai hope it helps.
  • Tara McLeanTara McLean Member Posts: 113
    edited 26 December, 2013
    I have to agree with the poster who suggested finding an actual shelter for the kittens you rescue. Raising a single kitten takes a fair amount of funds, time and knowledge. I can only imagine how costly it would be to properly care for the volume of kittens you take in. I understand that you are trying to save these orphans but the only way you can get rid of any infectious disease would be to find a place for your current kittens/cats and do a super good clean down of the home. New kittens coming in should be kept in a quarantine room for at least 4 weeks and all cats/kittens should have their shots and be spayed and neutered. In a proper rescue all of these things are provided for. You have to ask yourself if taking in these kittens that you cannot really afford to care for is the kindest option. If you really want to help take the kittens you find to an SPCA, rescue or shelter so they can receive the care they need. If you are committed to helping cats/kittens you could always foster cats for a shelter/rescue. They provide the funds and food and all you need to provide is the love.