worms, fleas, HELP!!

Heather BrinkleyHeather Brinkley Member Posts: 3
edited 20 December, 2013 in Cat Health
Hey ya'll, I've been battling fleas on my two babies for forever now. Baths, picking fleas out with tweezers, I can never seem to get them all even with washing all my bedding where they sleep. Well Saol, or Kitty, is 5 months, and Milo is 7-8 weeks. Just this week Kitty started having really loose stool and just an hour ago it was pure liquid. My poor baby. She is eating normally and playing with Milo I just can't figure out what's wrong. I'm at college which is over two hours away from my vet. But that leaves me to Milo. I got him just 2 weeks ago from a friend who was concerned about him going to a kill shelter. He is playful and happy as ever. But he jumped in a plastic box I have in my room and pooped in it, totally unlike him, he's ever had an accident. Well when I went to clean it up I noticed tapeworm segments in it still wiggling around. Gross. I checked his behind and sure enough saw the tell tale "sesame seed" Little dried up eggs and worms. This is the first I've seen them in him, but his tummy is a little distended. Other than the mighty appetite and drinking a ton of water, he is playful as ever. Stools are completely normal besides the segments coming out. I'm getting him some tapeworm medicine tomorrow and a new flea soap but I have no idea what to do with Kitty. I didn't see any worms in her stool, but being the good big sister she is, she cleans him more than he cleans himself so I would have figured she would have gotten the tapeworm. Any suggestions? I feel like such a bad momma....

Comments

• Cassandra NoneCassandra None Member Posts: 406
    edited 9 December, 2013
    I am not quite sure where to go here. Of course I am going to jump and down and yell, "TAKE THEM TO A VET!" you said that is not really an option right now. I recommend - and this is based solely on my experiences, and my vet's - I recommend getting some Diatomaeous Earth, aka DE and feed it to your cats every day. Diatomaceous Earth is a non-toxic, safe substance made up from crushed fossils of freshwater organisms and marine life. Crushed to a fine powder and observed through a microscope, the particles resemble bits of broken glass. Diatomacous Earth is deadly to any insect yet completely harmless to animals. And it is so cheap. Internal parasites can be controlled by giving Diatomaceous Earth internally. It is very important to note that it must be food grade – the earth used in gardens and pool filters can damage your pets. Diatomaceous Earth can eliminate roundworms, whipworms, pinworms, and hookworms within seven days of being fed daily. To be most effective, Diatomaceous Earth should be fed for at least 30 days, to catch all newly hatching eggs or the cycling of the worms through the lungs and back to the stomach. Fleas and ticks? Oh, Seresto collars hands down. Yes, the collars are expensive but they last 8 months and that makes it very cheap. It starts killing fleas within 30 minutes. I sat and watched the fleas literally curl up and die. I use the DE and these collars on all my cats (17) and dogs (3) DE for internal parasites. Seresto collars for fleas and ticks. Now, did I bore into a coma? Did I come even close to answering your questions? :D
  • Heather BrinkleyHeather Brinkley Member Posts: 3
    edited 9 December, 2013
    Thank you so much! I've been trying to feed her a bit of pureed pumpkin to help solidify her stool but it doesn't seem to be helping at all. I will definitely try and find the DE and collars. Do you know where to find food grade DE? All I have here is a pet shop, Walmart, and Kroger.
  • Heather BrinkleyHeather Brinkley Member Posts: 3
    edited 9 December, 2013
    Oh! And a tractor supply co! I'll check there, if anyone would have it I'm sure they would.
  • Cassandra NoneCassandra None Member Posts: 406
    edited 20 December, 2013
    So, babe, did you find any DE? You were right, TSC would probably have it and if not, they should be able to order it for you. If neglected to mention that DE is a very effective flea killer. You rub it into their fur (not their skin). I did that for years but this bast year has been horrible with fleas so I bought the collars. Now I am a believer. My vet charges me $55 per cat collar but you can find them less expensive online. I bought a batch at $36/collar. Please let us know how it goes, OK? Cheers!