Chylothorax and Rutin

dennis nimchukdennis nimchuk Member Posts: 1
edited 25 December, 2013 in Cat Health
Today is December 25, 2013. About 5 years ago our cat was diagnosed with Chylothorax. Thoracocentesis was undertaken bilaterally 6 times over a period of 3 weeks. I initiated Rutin therapy on the basis of two published reports at 1 gm bid (twice daily) and there was mild improvement. Reviews on this therapy showed promising results but dosage and length of inclusion in the diet were sketchy on follow up. I increased the dosage to 2 gm daily qid and our cat responded very well. I have not interrupted the protocol for 5 years and plan to keep the regimen ongoing. The cat is large, about 16 lbs, not overweight and today is totally normal and extremely athletic without becoming winded. Thoracic imaging shows a normal anatomy and physiology. I am convinced that the higher dosage consistently applied long term is key to being remedial, notwithstanding some reports of spontaneous remission (other reports indicated cessation of Rutin after 12 months resulted in reoccurance. Definitely more research on this protocol is necessary to understand the effects of Rutin on chylothorax. I wish to post this experience because there may be a simple therapy that may work for you for this very grave condition