cat lethargic , not eating or drinking water

Dani VelasquezDani Velasquez Jersey CityMember Posts: 10
edited 1 January, 2014 in Cat Health
Orion have been good all this time until yesterday when i got from work, I noticed that he was trying to pee on my couch, he never does that so I moved him from the couch, then I start noticing he tries to pee but all he released was like 2 tiny drops he then stated to move very slowly and started to shake and tremble, he went to my bed and laid there as he was laying down with his eyes he was looking for my hand so I started to pet him, I realized that was not Orion so I rushed him to the an animal hospital in Hoboken NJ, they find out hee had a mucus plug on his genital do they had it removed. They also gave Orion medicine and the doctor told me he should be fine. When I got home he was feeling much Bette, he even tried to play a little but he was still under the medicine so I have him resting for the night, this morning when I woke up I noticed Orion was peeing a little more and I felt relieved, he ate some food and drank some water and that was it. He hasn't been eating or drinking water and I'm dehydrating him with a child dropper every hour and a half. He took his medicine and I wasbut Im not seeing any progress on him, I'm trying to pet and comfort him but he just avoids me. I called the doctor today and she told me he must be stressed and to give him his medicine as stipulated but at this point I just feel useless as I don't know what else to do for my cat, I'm trying to feed him and keep him hydrated but he keeps avoiding me. I already spend a whooping $1700 yesterday just on Orion and I don't have the mone-y to do it again. I implore you guys for advice, everything here is closed and my only chance in case of worst is to take him to an emergency hospital in NYC and I'm out of savings, what can I do to save my cat? Is there anything I could do? Anything I just want him to be the same hyper and happy kitty he was before. I'm willing to try anything for my cat, I will take him to the emergency hospital if I don't see any good on him by tomorrow morning. Everybody tells me he is going to be ok that I have to leave the medicine act in him but is been more than 12 hours And I honestly don't see him recovering.

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 28 December, 2013
    I strongy recommend getting a second vet opinion from a different vet hospital. Offer mushy slightly warmed canned food. You must try to get your cat to eat something. A cat can quickly develop fatty liver disease from not eating. You can try syringing the soupy canned food into the cat. Your local pharmacy should have oral syringes available, the kind used to give babies and kids liquid medicine. Or head to the pet store and get some oral feeding syringes. Syringe small amounts of fod or water into the cat.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 28 December, 2013
    Is he urinating? I would recommend getting him to a vet asap. Normally when a cat has a urinary blockage they are kept in the hospital for 3-5 days.
  • Dani VelasquezDani Velasquez Jersey CityMember Posts: 10
    edited 28 December, 2013
    He finally ate! I gave him tuna in water and he ate a good portion of it!, I've been giving him disses of water twice an hour, he is resting right now in a warm bed, I placed a comfortable blanket which is warm too, he seems a little better but he is still urinating a little, at least it's not drops like yesterday. I can't afford another vet given my circumstance and what I paid yesterday but I'll take him to NYC hospital tomorrow first time in the morning. Wrist do you guys think?
  • Sally WaldronSally Waldron Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭
    edited 28 December, 2013
    When ever Macy blocked it would take a few days to a week for him to start peeing better, his bladder is really inflamed from the cauterization and the trauma of being plugged. As the days go by he will pee more and more, but you do need to keep an eye on him to ensure that he is still going, because they can re block again. This happened to Macy once, he was unblocked and then blocked again as soon as he got home. My opinion is to keep an eye on him and as long as he is peeing it should settle down, and make sure you get tons of water in him to help flush the bladder. Make sure if the vet suggested a diet to follow it until he is stable then you can decide from there what you want to do. I also want to mention that stress can make matters worse, so try to keep calm around him (which I know seems impossible)and not change his schedule as much as you can so there is normalcy in the house.
  • Sally WaldronSally Waldron Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭
    edited 28 December, 2013
    Oh also see if you qualify for care credit and find a vet that takes it. The interest is high, but I have it now because the last time Macy had major issues it cost probably close to 4,000.00 when it was all said and done after a year of dealing with his urinary issues.
    edited 29 December, 2013
    He ate again around 8 then at 9:30, so he have food in his stomach, I gave him his medicine and he was able to sleep over the night, ivhavent check the litterbox but I just woke u. So I'm going to feed him then give him his medicine then clean/check his litterbox. He started to walk around the house yesterday so he seems to feel better. I'll keep you guys posted.
  • Ella VincentElla Vincent Member Posts: 4
    edited 31 December, 2013
    I also agree with "Merlin - An Angel- Forever" that you should consult some other vet as your cat is suffering form pain and he needs proper checkup. As you said that, he is not eating and drinking and this can cause some health problem for your cat. So, I think you should get your cat to vet ASAP.
    edited 31 December, 2013
    The odds were against me, I took it upon my own to try and save my kitty,one hospital the most it did was to allow me to get another clavamox refill and told me they couldn't take Orion unless I paid the services in full since I didn't qualify for care credit, same story in the other clinic but I was smart enough to get the other dose of phenoxybenzamine at almost for free, since the vets were a**holes in capital letters I administered Orion water and food twice every hour to keep him hydrated also I was administering the medicine as prescribed by the the first doctor, I fought against the clock and didn't let my cat alone, I slept in the bathroom with him(although smelled like pee even if it was small drips) , I hand fed him and petted him, cried in front of him telling him to not leave me, I was so frustrated thinking something bad may happen to my cat, I slept a total of 4 hours during these past days and all my effort paid, today Orion is back to normal, he is the same playful kitty(getting there) but he is eating well and drinking water, the doctor from the first hospital even asked me what I did, my cat looks much better than what it was, he have an scheduled appointment next week and he is going to get in a new diet with raw meat, I don't know what it was but I'm just glad my cat is feeling better, I felt his pain and I also saw it through his eyes, now he follows me everywhere around the house and looks for my hand to pet him. He may not talk but I know he is saying thank you in his own way. I just wwanted to share that with you guys, I'll post a picture of Orion later.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 31 December, 2013
    Glad Orion is feeling better today :) Definitely go to the apppointment next week so the vet can do a check up on Orion. What raw meat diet did the vet suggest? Just feeding pieces of raw meat to your cat is not a complete diet. There's a couple different ways to feed a 100% raw meat diet. The easy way but not always the most budget friendly is commericial raw pet food such as Nature's Variety Instinct. These are typically frozen diets. You thaw a frozen piece for each meal. There is also freeze dried commerical raw food, kind of like dry food. You rehdyrate the food in water before serving, although you *could* feed it dry. Commericial raw food also comes as a powder (like The Honest Kitchen) that you MUST rehydrate in water before serving (eating dry powder is gross not to mention it makes you super thirsty :-O) or air dried like ZiwiPeak. Then there's homemade raw food using a *good nutrionally balanced* recipie such as the one at Catinfo.org The Internet is full of recipies for homemade raw food diets but MANY are not complete nutritionally balanced diets no matter what the claims/testimonials may be. Some may even contain harmful ingredients like garlic. I only recommend the recipie at Catinfo.org and the one at Catnutrition.org A third way is called frankenprey or prey model. It mimicks what a cat would eat in the wild: 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% organs. And there's what I call semi-homemade raw food. You buy whole pieces of raw meat (not ground meat) from a supermarket or butcher shop, grind or finely chop it up yourself, and then add in a pre-mix such as TC Feline. The pre-mix contains all of the vitamins and minerals a cat needs. You can ask questions about raw food diets on Catster's raw food diet forum :)
    edited 1 January, 2014
    Here is an update, Orion is finally eating andbdrinking fresh water however it's been 2 days sincere started to leak urine in small moderate quantities, I had a call from the first vet today and I explained he this and she said it was probably due to the steroids and medicine working and most likely the steroid wearing off and flushing from his body and to expect to have him checked within the next days, I'm going to set up an appointment but this is a little nuts, my apartment smells like pee, I removed the odor with some products bought at the pet store but Orion himself is constantly leaking urine, he eats, jumps, plays with me and even asks for more food but I'm worried about the leaking, at firet I thought our was the medicine making effect but more I'm starting to get suspicious, his bladder hasn't broke I'm no doctors but I've seen this issue in humans and it can sort of get the same in a cat symptom wise, all his urine is coming out of his penis so is not like he is hurt, he can jump to the kitchen sink already! I can't take him to the vet until next week but I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow first time in the morning but in the meantime what can I do about this leaking issue? In all honestly I gave him to carpets so he can lay down and leak there but I'm going to have to throw them away as the smell is just unbearable already, any suggeationew until I cat take Orion back for a check?