The pros and cons of a persian cat

Gordon RobertsGordon Roberts Member Posts: 2
edited 19 March, 2014 in Choosing the Right Cat
I had always wanted a white persian cat since I was little - the chinchilla type in particular. Of course persians are well known for their laid back nature but my experience with Daisy my dream cat hasn't been a fairytail. I love her to bits but she is hard work - she requires daily grooming as well as professional grooming as she still gets knots after all my effort - her fur also gets everywhere and unless we hoover everyday the house looks a state.

Comments

• Amber WhelanAmber Whelan BerwickMember Posts: 54
    edited 21 February, 2014
    I had a Himalayan when I was growing up. I loved her to pieces, but grooming definitely was a challenge. We used to get her a lion cut twice a year. She hated the process, but after all was said and done, she seemed to love it. She flaunted herself like she felt simply beautiful, and she loved pets so much more- easier to feel without the floof, I suppose. It also made grooming SOOOOO much easier, for us and for her. Not so many hair balls, and not so many places to keep brushed or check for mats.
  • Patti DevriesPatti Devries Curled on a warm robeMember Posts: 1,374
    edited 17 March, 2014
    I had Loretta, a beautiful gray Persian and a long hair tortoise shell, both many years ago. If I could have knitted the shed fur between them...blankets for the whole tri-state! Other problem was the litter box. Raccoon tails pick up litter and poop. I found the answer in trimming their under tail fur as short as possible. Beautiful cats but high maintenance...
  • kendra wisonkendra wison Member Posts: 21
    edited 19 March, 2014
    We have a long haired cat and he does require more maintenance than the other kitties. We have had him shaved like a lion before and he loved it. Strutted his stuff forever. You just have to be sure to do brushings and take care of them.