sick 5 week old feral kitten

Janet SchminkeyJanet Schminkey Member Posts: 5
edited 5 June, 2014 in Kitten Corner
I rescued a feral kitten at 7 days old. He is now almost 5 weeks and has been to the vet for a worming. He is now showing a swollen tummy, testicals and makes it hard for him to walk. We have him on KMR and adding a little kitten soft food to that. He has diarreah daily and rarely a hard stool. The vets don't seem to know much about feral kitten care. He is also chewing on the btl. nipple using back and forth motions as though his front 2 teeth are hurting. Is this normal and do you know anything about red and swollen tummy, genitals. He is wanting to play and seems happy but I fear he will get sicker. We want to keep him and continue our TNR work in the mobile home park. Please.. I'm worried about lil' Izzy. Thanks to all of you

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 3 June, 2014
    If you've had this kitten since 7 days old and have been feeding and handling him, he's not feral any more. I don't know why a vet would differentiate between him and any other kitten. But I do know that something seems wrong, and if this vet isn't interested in finding out what it is, find another vet. These sound like serious symptoms and they need to be treated. Best of luck and keep us posted!
  • Greg StawinogaGreg Stawinoga So. HollandMember Posts: 1,000
    edited 3 June, 2014
    BK is right, I would go to a different vet and get a second opinion. Call around first and explain the problem, see if you can get a vet with a little more knowledge about kittens.
  • Janet SchminkeyJanet Schminkey Member Posts: 5
    edited 3 June, 2014
    Thank you all. I did find another, very caring vet. today and she gave him antibiotics for possible coccidia. She said his tummy and genitals were very inflamed from the poo and urine. We are cleaning him with tepid water and putting ointment and laying him on pampers. His heart and lungs sounded great along with his eyes, ears and skin. He's much better tonight and eating solid food!! I'll keep you updated. The vet will be calling me in 2 days to see how he is. She was so gentle with him. Thanks to all of you. You apparently have the same great compassion as I... Janet
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 4 June, 2014
    We're so relieved and we know you must be too! It really pays to find a caring vet who understands.
  • Greg StawinogaGreg Stawinoga So. HollandMember Posts: 1,000
    edited 5 June, 2014
    It's wonderful to hear that you found another vet, that does care. We are purring and praying that the little one will get better.