Help loose stool

kim kistenmacherkim kistenmacher hollywood, fl.Member Posts: 7
edited 7 March, 2015 in Food & Nutrition
My cat has fiv and hyperthyroidism and has allergies! Since his last dental 7 months ago his stool has been loose, which I corrected with adding pumpkin to his z/d. After a month or two however, his hair began to come out because he is allergic to the pumpkin. I tried using benefiber 1/4 teaspoon a day which did nothing. I added a bit more n it made it worse. Any ideas on what I can do ? I am trying 1/4 teaspoon of baby oatmeal cereal to his z/d but don't know yet if it will work or not..please help

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 31 December, 2014
    Did he have antibiotics after his dental? You may just need to add probiotics to his diet to adjust his stomach flora. Get a human grade probiotic With no additives and sprinkle it in his food each day. That should help!
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 31 December, 2014
    I agree with BK. Mine have gotten diarrhea from antibiotics too, and with his immune system being weaker, it could use a boost. Could he also be allergic to the oatmeal? what about rice baby cereal? Or I wonder if some plain baby food meat like chicken would help if he can eat chicken. Poor little mite. Hope it works!
  • kim kistenmacherkim kistenmacher hollywood, fl.Member Posts: 7
    edited 31 December, 2014
    Well he did have antibiotics but I had to stop them the second day after the dental because of blow out diareah. Now his stool is just loose.i wish I had read this before buying what I got ! I got digestive enzymes for his food n the vet told me to put 1/4 teaspoon in each meal. He eats 6 times a day all wet food because he is old.i know that raw food makes him constipated but I checked the ingredients on primal n it has pumpkin! I used to buy raw health but they don't make it any more. Going to see if I can get the meat man at publix to grind me some beef n bone. Ugh I hope I find something soon that works like the pumpkin did! Thanks for your help everyone
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 1 January, 2015
    Digestive enzymes won't hurt but I would add probiotics if they don't help. And if you're going to feed ground raw please be sure it's balanced. My favorite recipe is from catinfo.org. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Aleasha CasarettoAleasha Casaretto ColleyvilleMember Posts: 512
    edited 7 March, 2015
    I highly recommend purchase liquid dandelion extract and putting 5 drops per 3 ounces of canned food. I also recommend purchasing some unscented baby wipes and wiping his bottom after he uses the litter box, as loose stool can accumulate and get stuck in the fur. Do you use a monthly flea/tick treatment? If his fur gets matted with feces from the loose stool/diarrhea, then I recommend taking him into the vet and letting them remove the mess. They will likely need to sedate him. If you can, give him a bath once a month to keep him clean. You have him on an excellent food and you are doing all you can. You can bath him every other week if he is having a problem with the diarrhea in his fur (keeping a cat’s bottom clean is very important). Chloe’s Mom Licensed Veterinary Technician