Have a one year old cat -- should I adopt a 12 week old kitten?

Ashley PhippsAshley Phipps Member Posts: 20
edited 24 January, 2015 in Choosing the Right Cat
I got a beautiful tuxedo cat about 6 months ago from the local humane society, and he recently turned a year old. He is very affectionate and a great cat. I am also, however, considering getting a kitten who is 12 weeks old. According to HSAC (who is usually brutally honest about temperament), he is a long haired orange tabby. He loves other cats and is getting used to the company of dogs (which is good because I have one). He enjoys cuddling on shoulders and in laps for little kitty naps. He is also litter box trained. Is this a good idea? Squiggy, the 1 year old, is my first indoor cat, and after 6 months together, I am used to him. Is it a bad idea to bring in a buddy that is a kitten this late in the game, or will it be good companionship? I am hoping that they will become friends, that Squiggy can teach the little guy how to be a cat, that they can play with each other during the day when I'm at work, but I'm also a little worried about it becoming a stressful situation. Would you advise for or against this? Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 7 January, 2015
    I always recommend having young cats in pairs to keep them occupied. One year is still really young and he should do fine with a kitten. It may take a little while for them to adjust to each other though. If possible see if you can "foster with intent", which is like a trial period so you can make sure they'll be able to live with each other. I foster a lot and there are some cats that just won't tolerate another cat in the house. You don't want to be stuck without a backup plan if your male is one of these.
  • Garett Marvel WilsonGarett Marvel Wilson Member Posts: 27
    edited 24 January, 2015
    I would recommand to have another cat if you can afford two of course. It would be a great idea because cats like having a playmate. Though, it would be stressful during adjustments, but eventually they would give you joy whatching them running all over the house.