8 month year old kitten escaped from back yard

Joey ChineryJoey Chinery Member Posts: 2
edited 3 February, 2015 in Kitten Corner
Hey guys I'm a newbie here, Hi! I live my littlw boy so much. He's so sociable. Until yesterday he was an indoors only kitty. With the exception of being let out into our back yard which has 7 foot high walls. I was happy that he had the best of both worlds in a way : the safety of indoors but the fresh air, ability to chase bugs, watch birds, climb onto the kitchen roof etc of outdoors. But last night the little tinker escaped and my hubby and I ended up walking around in the dark at 3am shaking a bag of treats!! He's done the same today. He's obviously desperate to explore. I no longer feel right trying to prevent that. So it goes without saying that I'm nervous as hell. We live on a main road, close to the city cwntre. Although thw road is only busy at certain times of day. So my Q is, is there anything I can do to improve his likelihood of staying safe???? He is microchipped, wears a safety collar, has a tag with our details on, a bell, he is fully vacinated, fleaed/wormed and neutered. Is there anything I have missed? Do you have any advice for a worried kitty momma?

Comments

• Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 1 February, 2015
    Hi and welcome to catster! The only way to keep him completely safe would be to keep him indoors! Maybe you can build him an outdoor enclosure - something with a roof that will keep him IN since seven foot walls aren't doing it! Since you live on a busy street I would be very concerned about him getting hit by a vehicle. Good luck! Claude Hoppurrs mumma
  • Joey ChineryJoey Chinery Member Posts: 2
    edited 2 February, 2015
    Thank you for your reply. I'm resigned that he's going to go out and explore. Though actually he's not shown much interest since his last outing on saturday. I've decided not to let him out until at least 10.am and no later than 5pm. To avoid the busy times on our road and to avoid him being hit by a car at night. He's currently asleep by my desk. No interest in the outside today! lol
  • Sara BadaraccoSara Badaracco Member Posts: 47
    edited 3 February, 2015
    If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to train him to come when called. I found this pretty easy. The first couple of times, I called my kittens from the basement while rattling the treat bag. After they caught on, I'd call them up once a day for a treat without rattling the bag. Now any time I call, they come running to investigate. I think cats generally know their names but do not care if you're calling them unless there's something in it for them. It could save their lives, since they may not hear the bag from 1/4 mile away, but they may hear your voice if you call loud enough.
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 3 February, 2015
    Just so you know: there are people out there who will actually go out of their way to hit an animal, especially a cat. I know because I once worked with one, and I was once following a trucker who deliberately ran over a woodchuck. Many years ago, I had a 2-year-old cat killed on the road - and *I* live in a rural area! A 7-month-old is still a child and should NOT be outside without supervision. Unless you take pro-active steps, expect to pick his body off the road at some point. Sorry to be blunt, but I'm being honest.