When is it time?

Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
edited 6 March, 2015 in Senior Cats
My old guy is 23. Technically he is still good with the litter box because I have so many around as I also have 8 ferrets. So one in every room. His last bloodwork(4 m ago) came back within normal range for his age. However he is completely senile to the point that when he goes around the corner he is lost. As a result he caterwauls until someone comes to find him. And yes- this is day and night. He is skin over bone with dingy fur since he no longer grooms himself. We(hubby and I) do this for him with a damp warm cloth and a rubber static brush. He doesn't appear to have any real arthritic pain with his supplements. He wants on a lap or snuggled close 24/7 if possible. He does appear to be mostly content when he isn't restless due to the senility. I guess my question is- how do I tell when it is his time?

Comments

• SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 February, 2015
    I would say as long as he is still eating and using his litter box he's still content enough to be with you. Having bloodwork coming out normal for his age shows how well you are caring for him.
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March, 2015
    You will know. Yes, peeing, pooping, and eating are indicators. 23 years old and normal blood work...that is amazing. Yes, it does get harder as they age.
  • Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 6 March, 2015
    Thanks for the responses. This has been something we have both been wrestling with, especially when his senility has him so restless. We use either Bach's rescue remedy, and when that doesn't help calm him I've been using something by Omega Alpha called E-Z rest. What we are praying for is to simply find him "sleeping" one day.